Friday, August 15, 2014

Fitness Fridays - Giving up a gym membership, and loving it

Back in May, and in good timing for our mid-June move, my Australian gym membership expired. At the time, I mentioned to a friend that I had been a member for over 5 years. When I later reflected on that statement, I realised that I had been a member for 13 years. Clearly I am losing track of time in my old age! 

My new 'gym'

With that length of membership, you may imagine that giving the gym up was unsettling. In fact, the transition has been surprisingly lovely. It has also been very freeing. With being a member for so long, I'd come to view the gym as something I 'needed' and an essential lifestyle feature that I would always indulge in. Before I discovered running, the gym provided my main (sole) source of exercise, and it was one of the few places where my thoughts could wander or work through problems in peace. But then I did discover running, and in particular, the joy of running outside. I gradually gave up some gym days so I could fit in outdoor runs, but there was an uneasy tug-of-war between my desire to run and my desire to get good use out of my gym membership. In May, I was running outside 3 days per week and using the gym 3 days per week; as previously, I was struggling to fit in pilates. I would have liked to run more, but didn't want to use the gym less.

Local parkland

Now? I have been gym free for 15 weeks and I don't think I will ever go back to a regular gym membership. I am running 4 days per week, doing home pilates 1 day per week, and still have days spare for walking / active rest. I can imagine moving up to 5 days of running in time. If it rains, I wear a cap (to keep the rain out of my eyes) and waterproof running jacket, or I just get wet. I don't spend time travelling to the gym, I don't have 'junk' workouts where I amble aimlessly through familiar equipment, and I am taking in outdoor scenery instead of computerised screens. Sometimes the 'scenery' consists of cars and buses, but other times it is made up of trees, flowers, gardens and rivers. If I don't like what I'm looking at, I can turn a corner or find a new route. Perhaps best of all, I am more in love with running than ever.

Herb gardens in Greenwich park

Of course, I have been enjoying the outdoors in summer. Running in the rain will no doubt be harder when it is dark, freezing and icy. I also expect that I would like to use a gym every now and then, for novelty and variety. Our local gym looks excellent, and has single entry ticket options that I anticipate using on occasion. The key, though, is that those times will be occasional, and possibly only seasonal.

Beckenham Place Park

This is a self-focused post, but I wanted to write it for two reasons. One was the obvious and somewhat selfish one - I like to use this blog to organise my thoughts and reflect on topics I care about. The other, though, is that I know a lot of people are as attached to gyms as I was. If we had stayed in Australia, I may not have had the courage to cease my membership and I may still be spending 3 hours each week watching morning 'news' shows while my legs pedaled equipment on autopilot. There is nothing wrong with that, and for many people it will be the best form of exercise for them. However, now that I've tried the alternative, I want you to know that there is an alternative. That alternative can be fun, and freeing, and challenging, and invigorating - and even save you money.

If you have thought about moving some of your workouts outside, or moving to gym-free exercise, here are some ideas from my own transition.

  • Don't think you have to go cold turkey. I stopped my membership altogether when we moved, but the shift to 3 days of outdoor running happened gradually. In 2009, I was in the gym 6 days per week. I changed my routines over time.
  • The first time you exercise outside will probably feel odd. You won't have a machine counting every step or telling you how many watts you are producing. You may miss the option of reading / watching TV while exercising. Give it time. 
  • Focus on your outdoor surroundings. Notice the little things. Explore new routes, and seek out parkland or green space.
  • Cycle paths are excellent for running (or walking, or cycling!) on. They tend to be flat, smooth, bitumen clad (vs. harder concrete) and interconnected in coherent routes.
  • Off road paths are also excellent for running (or walking) on. Your pace will probably be slower, but you'll feel like you've had an adventure. Go through some puddles - it's fun.
  • With the money you save on a gym membership, you can definitely justify new shoes and/or exercise clothing.
  • You don't have to be a runner to enjoy the outdoors. Cycle, walk, rollerblade, skip, horse ride, swim - or play football, tennis or netball.
  • If you like company when exercising, there are sports and running groups in most areas. Search online, or ask around.

Last but not least, if you do enjoy a gym, I don't mean to imply that you should shift outside if you don't want to. Exercise should make you happy and suit your needs and lifestyle. If a gym fits your needs, then enjoy all that yours has to offer. If it doesn't, though, or you aren't sure - take a chance on outside. You might be pleasantly surprised.


What are your thoughts on gyms? Or have you gone through different exercise phases yourself, swapping one style for another?

15 comments:

  1. I prefer a more natural, wider and more real-world gym, such as this. Hmmm...fresh air!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - I'm definitely embracing that approach these days :)

      Delete
  2. I have only had a few brief brushes with gyms and giving up has been quite freeing. My main experience with a gym of sorts currently is sylvia's lessons and reminds me how much I dislike their membership sign-ups - I had been paying per term and suddenly they have moved to a direct debit system - would love to know how much % of a year gyms accept payment from people not using their services - probably research out there about it - which is one thing that makes the great outdoors more attractive - would love to see a post revisiting this when you are in the midst of winter as I am sure the great outdoors will be a different beast then - esp in the UK - meanwhile I love your photos of your "new gym"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gyms must make huge amounts from people who don't regularly use their memberships but who are locked into contracts or just too embarrassed to try and un-sign themselves! Of course they do have their benefits and it sounds like Sylvia is reaping some of them, even if direct debit makes it harder to stop using the services.

      I will definitely revisit post-winter I think!

      Delete
    2. Yes and I also reap the benefits of sylvia's swimming membership as I usually have a swim with her before or after swimming - win win!

      Delete
  3. Really interesting post Kari. I do really love the gym and think I'd find it hard to "give up". I'm not so into machines but I love the free weights and though I suppose I could buy my own set, I don't have a lot of space to exercise (in winter especially I don't think I'll want to be outside unless running and staying warm), and also get a real buzz from exercising around other people.
    That said, I have actually been running on a treadmill but mainly because, after a double stress fracture and a frustratingly long healing time, I've read treadmills are kinder on the joints.
    When I'm back in London and Regent's park is on my doorstep I imagine I won't be able to resist some more outdoor running! Likely along with my gym going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your legs will definitely be grateful for the softer treadmill surface compared to concrete :-) I didn't touch on injuries in my post, but realised after I published it that gyms can be a great options if your regular outdoor exercise isn't possible for injury reasons. Weights are definitely easier with a big gym selection too.

      We walked through Regent's Park just yesterday! It isn't particularly near us but I'll definitely be trying to go back soon - the flowers were amazing.

      Delete
  4. Kari...I'm about to join a gym! I haven't been a member for about a decade and I'm finding (in my old age) that I need to do some weight training as 2 swim squads/week just aren't enough. If the pool offered more days/week with squads I'd just increase the amount of squads I'm doing but they won't make changes to the program. So...it's off to the gym I go! I'm glad you're finding great places to exercise but like you say, I do wonder how difficult it will be when the weather deteriorates xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what timing! Sorry Charlie! However, I do think gyms have a time and place - absolutely. It sounds like now is the time and place for you :) It's lovely that you do have swimming to enjoy around your indoor workouts, and getting weights work in is recommended by just about every professional - so I'm sure your new routine will be great.

      Delete
  5. I also felt so free when I gave up my gym membership - I prefer running outside and finding some peace in my workouts which I find hard for me to find in a gym environment. Not to mention I never really used my membership that much for the long term. What I love about running is that you can just get up and go rather than going to the gym, changing, working out and then trecking home after (so time consuming!). I love running!! Good luck with your running!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Everything in your comment I would second and underscore :-)

      Delete
  6. I have never joined a gym because I know I won't get value out of it. I pay a fortune to do a clinical Pilates class and an exercise physiology class once each week, but as I am a couch potato and well and truly into middle age, the investment is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinical pilates would be amazing - if I was to invest funds anywhere, that would be a great place to send them. It's great you have your priorities and effective strategies for you figured out :-)

      Delete
  7. I struggle with this - I never thought I'd be the person who pays for a gym membership and don't go as much as I should! Now I feel like if I cancel it, I REALLY won't go, and then all hope will be lost. I'm not a runner so that's typically what I think of for outdoor exercise, so thank you for the other ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! It is difficult and hope you find the right balance for you :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).