Thursday, August 7, 2014

Red velvet smoothie

I didn't understand the appeal of red velvet cake until I saw a recipe that used beetroot to provide the crimson colour. Cake plus food colouring isn't really my thing, but cake plus a vegetable ingredient that turns everything a vibrant hue? I am very much in favour of that.


I am also very much in favour of this red velvet smoothie. As you may guess, beetroot also provides the colour here. However - don't panic! You would have to work very hard to detect any beetroot flavours. Instead, the drinking experience is akin to that of a chocolate thickshake. The thick texture comes from the use of both banana and sweet potato, whilst cocoa and dates provide the chocolate experience. The result is surprisingly decadent.


With the vegetables and banana, this smoothie is jam packed with nutrition as well as flavour. I found it more filling than my standard smoothie mixes, and if you drink it as one serve, it can easily serve as a complete breakfast. If you're not a fan of bananas in smoothie form, or want a change from them, you could also swap that ingredient out for berries. Raspberries or strawberries would enhance the colour even further, and pair very nicely with the chocolate!

Red velvet smoothie
Serves 1 to 2
Vegan

High-powered blender required

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup raw beetroot, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 banana, preferably frozen
1 cup cooked sweet potato pieces
1 tbsp cocoa
2 to 4 dates, roughly chopped (I used 2 dates, but feel free to increase if you want a sweeter drink)
3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
1/2 cup chilled water, or as needed to achieve desired consistency

Method
Combine all ingredients except the water in a blender, and process until smooth. Add water to achieve your desired consistency; I found 1/2 cup kept the mix thick but still drinkable.


Do you enjoy red velvet baked goods? What about beetroot in smoothies?

21 comments:

  1. I have never had a beetroot in smoothies but as one of my favourite juice combos is apple beetroot and carrot, I imagine I would love it and enjoy tasting it - but I am a bit unsure about cocoa in smoothies - though sylvia is more happy with chocolate smoothies - would like to remember the beetroot next time she wants a chocolate smoothie (though unfortunately I don't think my blender would cope with raw beetroot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear my old blender wouldn't have coped with raw beetroot, which might not bode well for yours (although I think yours is better than my old one!). However, I guess cooked could work too?

      Delete
  2. My son loves red velvet cake so I'll get him to try this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds and looks beautiful! I love beetroot, and I love hearty meal-like smoothies, great for when i am in a rush. Have you ever had beetroot chocolate cake? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had beetroot brownies and loved them :) Far better than red velvet cake in my view!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a healthy smooth fix! Imagine drinking a red-velvet cake through this. Yum + fun!

    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously eating red velvet in cake form every day is a bad life choice...but this smoothie?! Good life choice all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it can leave virtuous room for cake later ;)

      Delete
  6. I agree with Kate- this smoothie looks and sounds gorgeous. I love all the ingredients- especially the beetroot! I've never had "Red Velvet" cake but have seen the idea around a lot. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it is usually just red colouring though... Is it just a novelty thing?
    Pinning this to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either! I suppose novelty goes a long way sometimes :)

      I'm glad this appeals and hope you like it if you try it!

      Delete
  7. Love the rich color in this and love all these happy harvest veggies you included in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really does have a great red velvet colour to it. I always add beetroot to my smoothies because I don't mind the taste and I love the colour. I haven't tried adding cooked sweet potato though! Will have to give this a go xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potato makes smoothies super thick, so I definitely recommend it for when you want something creamy :)

      Delete
  9. I will surely try this... looks so yummylicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn delicious and healthy smoothies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is an awesome idea for a smoothie! definitely be trying the recipe out - never seen a red velvet inspired smoothie before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my friends didn't believe when I told her 'red velvet' just meant food colouring lol. I have always liked the idea of adding beetroot instead, though never actually tried it

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).