Friday, December 6, 2013

Fitness Fridays - Running on my 30th birthday

Being a Thursday, yesterday was one of my running days. Being the 5th December, it was also my birthday. I know some might struggle to understand why, on my birthday morning, I left my sleeping husband at 6am to go running. I can picture my mother saying "But wouldn't you give yourself a break and sleep in, on your birthday?!".

I wrote this post because I am so glad I did go running. As I ran, rejoicing in the trees, the sparkling sunshine and the not-yet-hot air, I thought. And as I thought, I was grateful.


You see, yesterday was not just a birthday: it was my 30th birthday. This has been the first time, for me, where the change in age felt significant. Turning 18 brought permission to drink and vote and make adult decisions, and turning 21 brought symbolic adulthood...but those ages didn't really feel different to the ones they succeeded. In contrast, being in my 30s feels quite different to being in my 20s. I might not have noticed it happening, but I think adulthood is well and truly here!

Yesterday, as I ran, I thought about my life now and my life over the last 30 years. I realised that I have no desire to turn the clock back. That may come (ask me how I feel when I hit 50) but it seems to me that part of life's beauty lies in its countless possibilities.

Those possibilities sometimes turn out to be painful, or challenging, or unpleasant...but then sometimes they are joyous, and beautiful, and inspiring. You have to live with the chance of the former, but embrace the latter when they are there. Every extra year, every extra birthday, marks more experiences and a chance for more ahead.


I thought, too, about the possibilities that have unfolded for me in the last 10 years. It feels like a long time since I started my 20s. In the past decade, I have met friends and lost some; finished an undergraduate degree; started and finished two postgraduate degrees; worked at 8 jobs; bought property; met and married Mr Bite; travelled (and then travelled some more!); turned to plant based eating; won some things and failed at others; been sick and well, happy and sad; discovered running; and, I think, learned the art of acceptance. I've dared to live and love and laugh, and it has been worth every part of the sometimes bumpy journey.


My 30 years have included their fair share of pain and a fortunate share of joy. Who I am reflects both. I don't know what the next decade will bring, but I'm buckled in and ready for the ride. I can also assure you that while I can, I will be running every week of it.

Linked into the Fitness Friday link up on Running Bloggers.

If you have reached / passed 30, was it a good year for you?
Or have you had any birthdays that stand out as 'how old am I?!' experiences?

29 comments:

  1. I'm in my 50's. So far, it just gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. And I do the same thing. Running on my birthday is key. Hope you had a lovely one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did - and I'm glad others have similar running routines! Thanks Joanne :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! I love celebrating each year by doing something physical.

    I'm coming close to the end of my 40s (which have been mostly fantastic), so 30 still seems young to me. My main advice....enjoy each moment of your life. It passes by more quickly than you realize!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely starting to see that. Thank you Lisa!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! And yay for first-week-of-December, Sagittarian birthdays (mine was on the fourth!) So far, being 24 hasn't really felt any different than 23... although I do remember my 21st as being sort of shocking ("I'm an adult now! Shouldn't babies and ovens and bills and responsibilities be falling from the sky? Why yes, I will have another vodka shot...") Your mid-running realizations are absolutely beautiful-- in my opinion, a life full of gratitude and without regret is a life well-lived! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday to you too! I laughed at your experience at 21 - I found myself expecting those things too but they didn't eventuate until much closer to my current age!

      Delete
  5. I'm a first time visit but I'm loving your blog! Happy Birthday, btw! LOVE all of the food pics, too! Very nice! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday lady. Here's to the next 30 only getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and best wishes on your 30th!!!! I have had quite a few birthdays since then, and sometimes cannot believe how fast time has flown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cakelaw. The passing of time is definitely one of life's mysteries!

      Delete
  8. I have not yet reached thirty but I am glad that you enjoyed yours!

    Thank you for responding to my email :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your reflection! I went running on my birthday and it was a windy, cold day but I ran farther than I had planned. Maybe because I was 38 and had to prove to myself I could :)
    You have accomplished so much in your 20s, with your degrees and friends. Your 30s will be just as sweet and you can enjoy the fruits of all of your 20s labor.
    Happy Birthday!
    Sami

    http://www.go-go-mountiangirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! 30s are way better than the 20s which were often filled with self doubt and confusion for me. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely relate to reductions in self doubt and confusion just from 20 to 30...so I hope I'll experience a similar scenario into the 30s :-)

      Delete
  11. Happy 30th birthday! And your images are so serene and peaceful looking. What a lovely place to go jogging. I so wish I could turn back the clock and 30! You've achieved so much and you're only just entering your 30's. Congratulations! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie, you are very kind! The images are from Kings Park which is a gorgeous place to run, walk or do just about anything really.

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday, and what a ride you've been on! I hope I've done so much and got to such a secure place with myself by the time I'm 30- 6 1/2 years to get myself sorted!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wasn't close to serenity at 23 or 24, so I think you've got a good chance! More seriously - thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Belated happy birthday Kari - am feeling a bit behind but am so pleased to see you feeling so happy about your 30th birthday. It is ironic that we think special events a good reason to have a break from exercise (and I get into that mindset) but really as you show, exercise makes sure you are feeling positive and on top of the world as you talked about in your exercise and mental health post so it seems an excellent reason to exercise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday my dear! I love that you chose to do something active on your birthday- I find with me it's a day I choose to be totally lazy even though I would feel better if I moved around a little. Next year i will endeavour to be active too :)

    You have had quite an awesome first 30 years- here's to the second thirty and the third :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Gabby :-) I also think it's just fine to be lazy sometimes, so if that works for you on your birthday, don't pressure yourself to change!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).