Saturday, January 5, 2013

In my kitchen - January 2013

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

In my kitchen, there are two limes, waiting to be used in a recipe in Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals.


After enjoying the TV series of the same name, Mr Bite bought me the book for Christmas and I love everything about it. I love that I may actually be able to make the recipes within half an hour (something I never managed with Jamie's 30 minute meals!), I love the approach taken to fresh, nutritious and enjoyable food, and I love that even the 'meat' dishes include decent vegetable sides and/or so many vegetables you can take the meat out and still have a meal.


In my kitchen, there is another cookbook, by one of the owners of the Leon chain of restaurants in the UK. We ate lunch at a Leon in London and the (unphotographed) food was superb. Mr Bite rated his vegetable soup and flat bread as 10 / 10, and I enjoyed a 'superfoods' salad with broccoli, peas, cucumber, avocado, quinoa, mint, parsley, and toasted seeds. Super indeed.

When I found the book online, I couldn't resist buying it as a joint Christmas present for both of us.



In my kitchen, there are brown rice crackers with black pepper and sesame. I like them a lot.



In my kitchen, the grout has recently been scrubbed (I have bruises on my knees to show for it), and there are clean windows, a clean microwave, and an externally clean fridge. I have yet to get to cleaning the inside of the fridge...



Inside that fridge, there is a whole shelf taken up with chocolate. With the weather being warm, and bonus chocolate appearing over Christmas, we have reached new territory in chocolate storage difficulties. Fortunately, those are the sorts of difficulties I don't mind.



In my kitchen, there are new spice jars to try and streamline the chaos that can be my pantry.

Before - shelves installed November 2011

After - twice as many small jars in the same amount of space


The small jars now hold, moving across each row from the top left, crushed peanuts, pinenuts, dessicated coconut, crystallised ginger, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, carob powder, poppy seeds, dried ginger, dried basil, cumin, sea salt, chile chipotle powder (still thanks to Mel!), and dried parsley. Goji berries sit between the dates and raw almonds on the right.



In my kitchen, there are also new large jars, to hold, amongst other things, the dry legumes that form part of my 2013 resolutions.


On the bottom level are dried chickpeas, barley, and black eyed peas; in the middle are yellow split peas, cashews, and great northern beans; and on top are currants and sultanas. 

I have been enjoying the chickpeas this week, and have taken delight both in the process of cooking them and in their larger size relative to tinned chickpeas.



In my kitchen, there is a rare box of commercial icey poles - Frosty Fruits in lemon, lime and bitters flavour.


 The ingredient list may leave a bit to be desired, but they are enjoyably lemon, lime and bittery.



In my kitchen, there is also real frozen fruit, of the watermelon, rock melon and pineapple variety. These complement my freezer staples of frozen bananas and frozen berries. It turns out that frozen watermelon with frozen banana gives a surprisingly delicious smoothie.


What is happening in your kitchen this month?

Thank you to Celia for hosting this event.

37 comments:

  1. your kitchen is looking great and so organised - mine is still lost beneath the clutter of holidays and christmas and everyday. Are you going to share what you are making from the jamie oliver book - I don't own any of his books because they always seem to have so many meat recipes so I am interested to hear most about the 15 minute meals one. And I have heard of Leon and it sounds like an interesting place. Your icy poles look like a grown up way of surviving a heat wave - would have loved some this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could definitely have done with the icey poles last week - I think our hot weather went your way!

      I will definitely share what I make from Jamie's book, as this is the first of his I own too. I love his food philosophy but haven't made many of his dishes so am looking forward to trying some of these ones out.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm in love with all your jars! The spices and the other bulk jars are just beautiful! What a fun post! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raechel! I'm quite in love with the jars too :)

      Delete
  3. I love all your spice jars and how accessible they are with your storage system. I haven't bought Jamie's 15-minute meals yet as I so badly failed with his 30-minute meals - everything seemed to take me 90 minutes. I'd like to try those Frosty-Fruits - where did you find them? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed with the 30 minute meals I tried too (I didn't have the book but got some online or tried to remember from the TV show) - I figure 15 minutes as a starting point has room to blow out!

      The Frosty Fruits just came from a Coles, and I have seen them in a few supermarkets now :-) I think they're a limited edition flavour but imagine they'll be out for a while yet. Definitely worth trying!

      Delete
  4. They make LL&B icy poles? I might need to make a rare visit to the supermarket! :) Thanks for playing Kari, it's so nice to see what's in your kitchen. I've just ordered Jamie's book, so I'm pleased to hear you like it. I think the tv show is great - much better than his 30 minute one which used to give me reflux watching him race around. The 15 minute show was also what sent me off on a quest for new wooden boards. And I love your shelving units - great way to store spices! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His book has a whole section on kitchen accessories and serving dishes, including wooden boards - so you are well positioned for when your book arrives ;) I am feeling quite inspired to get my hands on some myself!

      Delete
  5. I think I should use my last week of holidays to do a bit of deep cleaning in the kitchen. We don't have grout (because our floor is covered in horrible lino) but there certainly is a lot of other scrubbing I could do! And I think I should put more fruit into the freezer, so I can eat smoothie's all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I will have a big, full sized freezer and I am sure half of it will be allocated to fruit :) It is such a good thing to have on hand!

      Kitchen scrubbing isn't all that fun, but it is at least good when it's done. I've gone off tiles / grout, though!

      Delete
  6. My kitchen is still full from Christmas!!! Really??? How on earth does that happen ~sigh~
    I love your spice rack - it looks so totally awesome!
    I was also given cookbooks for Christmas! - 10 to be exact = yay for cookbooks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10?! Wow :) That is a fantastic number. You will have a fun year of cooking!

      Delete
  7. I love a fridge that has a whole shelf dedicated to chocolate - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this sneak peak and very jealous of your organised spice rack and chocolate shelf in the fridge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously, what a FUN blog!!! I love getting to know fellow bloggers inside their personal lives and what better way then through the kitchen. I am VERY amused by your shelf of chocolate...very impressive my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, thank you! That shelf is widely admired it would seem ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi Kari, What I love most, is your clean microwave and fridge. I wish I had a clean microwave and fridge just like you:( Where did you buy them:)

    I love chick peas. Do you peel yours too or am I the only loopy loop around.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the microwave and fridge are not always clean, don't you worry about that! They were just bought from standard Australian stores; The Good Guys for the fridge (which is a Toshiba) and Harvey Norman for the microwave (which is a Panasonic).

      I don't peel chick peas but I do know people who do, so you're not alone :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kari, I am sorry but I was only joking, the emphasis was on the word "clean". I meant, I want a "clean" fridge and microwave too!

      Delete
    3. Oops! Goes to show my taking things seriously nature :P

      Delete
  11. I love Jamie Oliver! I am going to have to check out his cookbook. My kitchen currently needs a massive scrubbing. I am just so unmotivated right now. I wish I could hire someone to come and deep clean it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that too, most weeks! I am okay with basic cleaning but that deep cleaning hangs over me until I manage it about once a year - after which the dirt just starts building up again!

      Delete
  12. I bought 15 minute meals for my mum this Christmas, the recipes are fantastic! Was so tempted by the Leon book as well but restrained myself, you'll have to let me know whether the recipes turn out like the restaurant food, which is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will :) The food at Leon really is wonderful, I wish we'd managed to eat in more than one when we were in England.

      Delete
  13. so first of all, i'm probably WAY behind, but i'm not noticing ur sweet new header...liking the new look! then u can tell me it's been like that for about months and months and i'll feel like a dork...lol.
    ur kitchen looks/seems pretty dang cozy and awesome...if i did some shots of mine i think u would be laughing and unable to catch ur breath. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not behind at all - the header only changed last week :-) I'm so glad you like it, thank you.

      My kitchen sometimes looks much messier than in these shots, don't you worry! It is small enough to keep me contained though - I think if I had a bigger kitchen I'd be worse!

      Delete
  14. Love your new header! I freeze fruit too.. but usually Flatpac eats it! I got Jamies 30 minute meals and Tyler had it signed for me when he worked with him. Love Jamie! I need to get into making more preprepared foods and freezing for easy dinners I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to feeze easy dinners, but my freezer is too full of fruit! :D My freezer is just too small frankly, but perhaps I can create space for at least a few meals. I love that you got your book signed!

      Delete
  15. Kari! I love the changes that you have made! ;) The heading of your blog is so pretty :)
    An entire shelf just for chocolate...every girl needs one of those. I love the stainless in your kitchen. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those brown rice crackers - so good! I'm so stoked you are cooking your own beans etc - it's SO much better (cheaper) - plus easy once you get into the habit.

    I love Jamie Oliver's food (I ate at his restaurant in Sydney) but I find HIM rather annoying now, maybe I have just watched too many of his shows!

    It's so good to have a big clean-out and organisation attack isn't it? Feels so satisfying afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to find Jamie a bit annoying but he seems to have grown on me...but perhaps with time I'll swing the other way again ;)

      I am actually super excited about cooking my own beans and so on. The little things, huh?!

      Delete
  17. I'm jealous of you clean kitchen, I wanted to clean my oven over Christmas and never got around to it! Good on you for getting into bean cooking, I'm still hooked on it and always have a few varieties pre-cooked.

    I'll have to look out for the Frosty Fruits, love the sound of those flavours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Frosty Fruits are definitely worth looking for, we are both loving them on hot nights. I think we'll need another box soon!

      Delete
  18. I really love pressure cooked chickpeas. I think cooking the dry kind tastes so much better than the tinned variety. The only way I'll eat beans on my salads these days are if they have been pressure cooked. I've really been enjoying fava beans lately but chickpeas are an old favorite still.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).