Thursday, January 3, 2013

Raw pear and cashew balls (and a new blog header)

I made these balls before Christmas, but in the frenzy of Christmas themed posts and New Year summaries they got left behind until now. This is a little unfair, as they are delightful balls and would have been a happy accompaniment to other Christmassy snacks. It is fortunate that they are the sort of snack that suits consumption at any time of the year. Indeed, if you are heading back to work this week or next (I return tomorrow, which gives a one-day work week!), they would be a good match for 3pm snack urges.


I don't much like cashews plain, but have discovered that they go very nicely in fruit and nut balls like these. This pear version follows my earlier papaya and cashew balls, and pineapple and cashew balls. Pear isn't as strong in flavour as papaya or pineapple, but it matches the cashews nicely all the same.

Pear and cashew balls
Raw and vegan
You will need a food processor for this recipe
Makes about 20 small balls


Ingredients
1 cup dried pear pieces (about 150g)
1/2 cup raw cashews (about 75g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Scant 1/4 cup dessicated coconut (about 15g)

Method
Roughly chop the dried pear, and then add to a food processor together with the cashews, vanilla and coconut. Process until finely ground and the mixture clumps together.

Roll into small balls and set in the fridge for about an hour. Best served cold.


In other news, and as at least one of you has already seen, Bite-Sized Thoughts has a new header. I am rather in love with it but please let me know if it looks odd in your browser (I have checked Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox but not Mac varieties).


There are a few other organisational changes in the works too, designed to streamline finding information, but I will update on those when they are finalised. If the blog disappears at random, you will know that my efforts backfired and I organised things into oblivion!

I'm submitting these snack balls to Ricki's Wellness Weekend 3rd - 7th January 2013
and to Heather's new link up event of Raw Foods Thursday, 3rd January 2013,

Tell me - cashews, yes or no?
And if you work, when do you head back?

31 comments:

  1. I LOVE the new header! Checked on the Mac for you, it looks just as gorgeous- no need to worry.

    This recipe looks divine. I'll definitely be making this one. Pears and cashews and coconut- sounds like just my thing :) Thanks!

    & YES! Love them, so my favourite nut.. but I don't like them as a nut butter- go figure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the header feedback, and for checking on your Mac :)

      I like cashews as nut butter but not plain, so there you go - we even each other out ;)

      Delete
  2. These look yum! I'm snacking heaps and these look something that would tide me over lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely a good contrast to some of the other things I've been snacking on lately (so.much.chocolate)!

      Delete
  3. Love your new header - very bright and cheerful and fits with the positive tone of your blog - good luck with your other changes on the blog - I usually have made changes on the blog at this time of year but haven't my act together this year - but I do fancy some nice raw balls for 3pm - though I love cashews roasted too - I have some roasted honey cashews that I am looking forward to snacking on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna - I'm a bit worried about running out of time for my other changes but at least blogs don't go away and no one knows what we would like to revise except us :-)

      Perhaps honey roast cashews would make me like them a little more. I need to be more adventurous with my nut flavourings!

      Delete
  4. The header looks great as does the combo of pears and cashews x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new header! The piece of chocolate looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so determined to get that chocolate in there ;)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Kari,
    I do love the blog header - very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Shaheen, and Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  7. I use a Mac and Firefox and your header looks good to me. Love the new design. These cashew and pear balls look great. I love cashews so this recipe would be good for me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie, and I am surprised at how many people love cashews - they surpass my expectations in popularity!

      Delete
  8. The new header looks great, I happened to notice it yesterday when catching up on blogs from the previous few days. Did I spot a new favicon as well? The NutriWife and I both returned to work on Wednesday, making for a 3 day work week compared to the 2 day one we had last week. A whole 5 day week is seeming a bit daunting right now, haha. We did bring along some of our vegan snacks that "Santa" brought to get us through the day though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not looking forward to a 5 day week either - it's daunting indeed! Vegan snacks are definitely necessary.

      Thanks for the header feedback, and yes, there is a new favicon as well although it doesn't seem to be appearing everywhere yet!

      Delete
  9. Love the colours in your header! I think I've only used pears once in raw treats, in my hemp, pear, and rice bubble balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use them either...but do like them quite a lot so it's entirely possible they'll appear again :)

      Delete
  10. Love the new header, reminds me that it is probably blog refresh time for me too, I'm just not quite inspired yet. The recipe also sounds delicious, I SO need to get a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! I feel badly posting recipes that rely on them but it is such a big part of my kitchen creating that it's hard not to.

      Delete
  11. Oh yum, I am definitely making these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make similar treats using dates and almonds, but dried pears are soooo much more affordable. I'm definitely gonna try this.
    Love the new header, the colors are so vibrant and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet these would be great for a pre-workout treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum - pear and cashew would be such a lovely subtle combo - never thought of combining the two!

    I love the colours in your header - so pretty, like jewels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it either until recently - it's funny how some things just don't come to mind but then do work rather well!

      Delete
  15. Love the new blog header. Cashews and pears sounds like a great combination - yum! Back to work for me on Monday - oh well ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the return isn't too rough! And thank you :)

      Delete
  16. Your header looks wonderful! I'm new here...hopping over from Wellness Weekends. I'd like to invite you to share these delicious bites at Raw Food Thursdays. It's a fairly new event and I'd love for my readers to learn from bloggers like you! http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/01/raw-foods-thursdays-1313/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather - I am heading over to check out your event right now! I'm always delighted to discover new readers so thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).