Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chipotle tofu steaks with cauliflower rice

This dish is really a hybrid between last year's teriyaki tofu steaks (which were also served with cauliflower rice) and my more recent black eyed beans with chipotle mango sauce.

Please don't ask me to choose which of the three meals I like best.



It's probably enough to say that I could eat all of them on a constant rotation.

This is another meal that is really simple to prepare. Moreover, you can vary the spice quota, use a grain base instead of cauliflower (I think bulgar would work beautifully), and adjust the vegetables to taste and convenience. In all, it is as easy as one-two-eat.



Chipotle tofu steaks with cauliflower rice
Vegan, easy, delicious
Serves 2


Ingredients
350g (1 block) firm tofu
2 chipotle peppers with 2 tsp adobo sauce (or to taste)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 cauliflower, roughly chopped into florets and tough stems removed
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium capsicum, thinly sliced

Method
Slice your tofu into four thick 'steaks'. If you're using a 350g tofu block, one block gives four steaks. 

Press the tofu steaks using a tofu press (if you have one) or for at least 15 minutes between tea towels and chopping boards, under a pile of books (if you're me).

While the tofu is pressing, finely chop the chipotle peppers and then combine the peppers, adobo sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup and tomato sauce in a bowl or jar. Whisk to combine.

Place your tofu steaks in a shallow baking dish and cover with the chipotle marinade mixture. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.

To make the cauliflower rice, process the cauliflower in a food processor until crumbly and rice-like in appearance.

When the tofu has marinated, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu steaks for ~10 minutes, turning every few minutes, until crispy. Retain a few tablespoons of the chipotle marinade if possible. Remove the tofu from the pan and allow to stand.

Add the carrot and capsicum to the non-stick pan, along with any remaining chipotle marinade. Stir fry for ~5 minutes.  Then reduce the heat to low-medium and add the cauliflower rice and mix through. Return the tofu steaks to the pan and keep on very low heat for a further 3 - 5 minutes. 



Why did it take me until age 25 to discover tofu?

I am submitting this to Ricki's Wellness Weekend 24th to 28th January 2013, and Healthy Vegan Friday 27co-hosted by Gabby and Carrie.

What meal are you loving this week?

25 comments:

  1. tofu is so versatile - love seeing all your different flavours for it - there is always a new marinade to make it taste different - can't understand people who don't like it - though I did serve up some pretty bland tofu to my family on one of my first occasions of cooking with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - and served it up to myself too, more the pity!

      Delete
  2. You are such a good cook! The tofu steaks don't even look like tofu to me- it looks like salmon.

    I am loving my massive amount of leftovers from my slow cooker on Sunday. I have been able to have lunch from it everyday this week. Win for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers for lunch are definitely a win :-) And thank you - I am glad this looks good to you!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is really interesting! I keep saying I need to try tofu and you are definitely convincing me--this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely have to try it Kate! This would be an easy way to start :-)

      Delete
  4. what a fun and creative way to serve tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tofu IS so amazing isn't it? I'm lucky that both Viper & Misty love it too.... I often make them tofu "chips" to dip in a yummy sauce and they gobble it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really fun way to serve it Lou - Mr Bite prefers it 'hidden' (and/or fried) but I am trying to work on that ;)

      Delete
  6. I don't know if it is the weather but I have been on a Mexican binge. Tacos last Friday, nachos on the weekend, just had a burrito for lunch. I think there is something about that lime infused flavour that suits this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is indeed - lime anything goes well with Summer and Mexican is a nice way to incorporate it! It sounds like you're having fun with the Mexican theme.

      Delete
  7. I'm all about spicing up my meals lately so that chipotle tofu sounds incredible! The more heat the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you may even want to use 3 chipotle peppers...but at your own risk ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm a big cauliflower rice fan - and I sure love my tofu.... that makes this my idea of a perfect meal!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still wrapping my head around tofu. I like it, but it's never my first pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine when you eat meat it is harder to fully adjust? I am sure if I directly compared it to chicken it wouldn't be the same, but because I don't eat chicken, it wins out on its own terms!

      Delete
  10. This sounds fantastic! Chipotle mango anything is a great flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We go in phases with tofu. Sometimes we eat it heaps, other times we go weeks without it. I always love it, but sometimes maybe we run out of ideas for it. Thanks for this new idea! We have a block in the fridge that needs using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get stuck in ruts with mine, which I don't mind, but does get a bit boring after a while. I always forget it can be used in different ways. I'm glad to have given you an idea on this occasion!

      Delete
  12. Mmm, tofu steaks. I could eat chipotle with life, so good. And I love the idea of cauliflower rice, I've seen it thrown around in the raw food community and have yet to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often end up heating my cauliflower rice so it isn't properly raw :P However you have it though, it is good! It soaks up flavours from sauces and toppings really nicely.

      Delete
  13. This looks amazing! I love that you used cauliflower rice instead of regular to keep it light :)

    I honestly can't remember the last time I had tofu- sad day! I must go buy some asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad day indeed Gabby! I hope you get some soon :-) And thank you!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).