Monday, January 7, 2013

Sweet chilli tofu and greens

Today marked the first day of my first full week of work for 2013. I am very glad I had my one day work week last week to ease into things. The prospect of five full days is rather unappealing at this point, but I think it would have been worse if I hadn't worked last Friday!

I am grateful to have had such an enjoyable break, and to be entering the new work year with an organised frame of mind. In addition to holiday-type activities, my New Year cleaning of the kitchen was complemented by washing of sofa covers, vacuuming within and behind said sofas (ick), and sorting and reorganising my cupboards to generate 2 large bags of clothes for charity and a further bag for the bin. I have been keeping clothes since I was about 16, and it is time to admit (13 years later!) that some of them are never going to be fashionable again and/or just don't fit.

With regards to blog organisation, I am also delighted to announce that the list of pages along the top of the blog, underneath the header, now have drop-down menus where relevant. I have wanted to do this for some time but my programming skills didn't prove capable to the task. Mr Bite came to my rescue with a solution late last year, and after a lot (a lot!) of tweaking and adjusting the new system is finally in place. A huge thank you to him, and I hope it will make navigation easier for you.


Moving to the recipe focus for today, this must be one of the simplest meals I have posted. I usually hold back from posting super simple dishes, but I decided to share this one because I enjoyed it so much. Moreover, I like seeing simple dishes on others' blogs. Whilst I often bookmark complicated recipes it is the easy ones that are more likely to be made quickly!


I am sure many of you have your own version of this stir fry mix, but if you are after a fresh, light, summer-appropriate meal that can be put together quickly - this may appeal to you too.

Sweet chilli tofu and greens
Serves 2
Vegan, easy and very adaptable


Ingredients

350g block firm tofu
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp nutritional yeast
2 bunches bok choi (Chinese cabbage)
2 - 3 bunches gai lan (also known as kai-lan or Chinese brocolli)

Rice or noodles, to serve (optional)

Method
Press your tofu using a tofu press (if you have one) or between chopping boards and under books (if you're like me).

While the tofu is pressing, combine the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and nutritional yeast. Cut the pressed tofu into large squares and then pour the sweet chilli mixture over the tofu and allow to marinate briefly, about 15 minutes.

Wash the bok choi and gai lan and roughly chop or tear into medium sized pieces.

In a non-stick pan, stir fry the marinated tofu on medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Reserve any remaining marinade. When the tofu is cooked, reduce the heat to low and add the greens along with any remaining marinade. Continue stir frying for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are just cooked but still crisp.

Serve with rice or noodles, or eat straight up.



I could happily eat this all day. And I did. Which is why both serves disappeared in under 24 hours.

Submitted to Health Vegan Friday 25, co-hosted by Gabby and Carrie.

What easy meals are you eating this week?

29 comments:

  1. Actually Kari, I'm always looking for easy tofu recipes and I'm going to try this one out. Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tofu dish looks just my sort of thing - though I don't have sweet chilli sauce - maybe chilli paste and maple syrup might do.

    I am in awe of your new drop down menu - it is great to have it available - would love to do it on my blog but have never thought it possible. Maybe one day I will achieve it - any tips welcome - though at the moment I am not sure I have the energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure chilli paste and maple syrup (or brown sugar) would work well. I always have sweet chilli sauce to hand but I know it isn't the healthiest product!

      I will either write up how I did the drop down menus (or more accurately, we), or email you for if you ever want to do it :-)

      Delete
  3. This recipe looks great! I love tofu and for some reason, haven't used it in a while. I definitely need to put it back in rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was blog hoppin' and came across yours and LOVE it!!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer - I'm delighted you stopped by.

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I'm so envious of your new blog organization - I've always wanted to get my stuff together. Sadly, I'm both technologically inferior and lazy, so that's unlikely to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough combination Megan, I will grant you that! :-)

      Delete
    2. It really is - I suffer so!

      Thankfully, there's the Internet to offer solace :)

      Delete
  6. I'm the kind of person who could put sweet chili sauce on EVERYTHING. So this recipe is a must make! And I LOVE that it's simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Joanne - I had to restrain myself a few years back because I pretty much gave up on all other sauces and seasonings, and it was starting to get a bit ridiculous!

      Delete
  7. I am loving the new look on your blog. How very impressive! And yummy, simple tofu recipes are often the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always hard going back to work. This is a very yummy looking dish. How long do you have to press the tofu for? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually press for about 15 minutes, between tea towels that are between chopping boards, with a pile of books on top! If you have a tofu press I think it's simpler, and to be honest I'm not sure how different it would be if you pressed for 10 or 20 minutes instead of 15. I just get the pressing going and do something else briefly.

      Delete
  9. Yum! That is my kind of meal. I love tofu & I love sweet chili sauce! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kari, can I borrow Mr Bite to tweak my blog please. It's been on my to-do list for far too long and isn't getting crossed off any time soon. Too hard! Your changes look good though :-)
    Hope your full week back is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes simple is the BEST... actually, most of the time :) This is my kinda meal, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, simple does win in lots of ways! Thanks Lou, glad it appeals :)

      Delete
  12. kari, this looks YUM and so simple too. this time of year, i'm over extravagant and just want a beautiful dish i can cook up without fuss. good recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been loving simpler meals lately due to lack of energy and love the sound of these flavours. Stir-frys are great for hot evenings.

    I'm impressed with your menu too, well done Mr Bite! I should be able to do these sorts of things on my blog as I work in IT but find that I'm over work at the end of the day and can't be bothered with programming bits and pieces for my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shown him your comment :-) Thanks Mel!

      Delete
  14. Loving how healthy you are being! Can you send some healthy inspiration over here? I just polished off corn chips and lasagne. Omg. Sick. Headed to Emmilous Tapas for dinner tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible my blog posts are not entirely representative of my eating of late! Remember that shelf of chocolate in the fridge? Mmm.

      Delete
  15. I've never heard of gai lan before. I'll have to see if our grocery store even carries it the next time we go. Is it more like cabbage than broccoli?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).