Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with wasabi, Elizabeth Shaw cocoa crunch dark chocolate and mint crisp dark chocolate, and an advent calendar

What a post title this one is. Hang on to your chair, dear readers, because we are covering a lot of ground today!


First, some overdue chocolate reviews. You may recognise the wasabi block from my London shopping adventures (oh! those adventures!); it was also one of the sources of inspiration for my chocolate coated wasabi peas.


The thing is, though, that I didn't actually try Lindt's wasabi chocolate until after I had made the wasabi peas. That was a mistake. Having enjoyed the dark chocolate clad, sweet-but-hot, intense peas...well, this chocolate seemed less wasabi and more sweet.

With that said, I did enjoy it. I would eat it again if it appeared in front of me. The chocolate itself is comparable to the other Lindt Excellence flavours, with 47% cocoa and (regrettably) milk featuring in the ingredient list. It is quite sweet, silky smooth, and easy to eat a lot of. The wasabi ingredient added heat, but wasn't overpowering. Like the Lindt Excellence with Chilli block, you could enjoy it even if you usually steer clear of hot and spicy things.


The Elizabeth Shaw blocks were picked up from an English supermarket I now forget (we visited so many), largely because I hadn't seen them before and they were cheap. They also include dairy in the ingredient list, but provide slightly more cocoa than the Lindt block - 57% in both blocks. They were smooth and glossy, with large and easily broken apart squares.

Cocoa crunch

The cocoa crunch block included cocoa nibs. I like nibs in my chocolate, but am used to them being scattered on top rather than contained within the chocolate. Perhaps as a result, the block was a little too light on nibs for my tastes. I did enjoy the block, but I didn't love it.


Mint crisp

The mint crisp block included mint flavour and honeycomb crisps, which isn't a combination I've come across before. It worked, though, and the 'bits' in this block were more detectable than the nibs in the cocoa crunch block. At the same time, I can't bring myself to rave about it. Elizabeth Shaw may be one brand I can cope without in Australia. The chocolate was okay, but not stellar.


Our second topic for today is sort of chocolate related (if you made one, you could put chocolate in yours...), but not really. It is an advent calendar. Lots of other organised bloggers posted about their advent calendars on the first of December. I admire those bloggers, but am clearly not one of them.

I have, however, made a 12 days of Christmas advent calendar. This has the advantage of being smaller to make (12 days instead of 25!) and giving you extra time to make the thing (13 extra days!). My version also has the advantage of being pretty much foolproof, even if craft isn't usually your thing.


I bought all my components from Spotlight, an Australian chain craft store. I am sure that any craft store would do. I purchased...

  • A stretched canvas as the 'base' for the calendar,
  • A strip of Christmas-appropriate fabric,
  • Colourful Australian Christmas paper,
  • Three small paper mache boxes, and
  • Pins.


The pack of Christmas paper was a slightly excessive purchase, containing far more paper than I needed, but I liked it too much to leave behind. Why the paper at all? Because my advent calendar was made, in large part, using origami envelopes.



You see, I don't have a sewing machine and my hand sewing is more than a little messy. Glue and I are even messier. Even cutting things out is challenging when you factor in my poor scissor skills. Origami seemed like my best bet. 

I followed the instructions on this page for paper envelopes, but made four small envelopes (the size recommended on the website) and three larger ones. To complement these, I glued Australian Christmas animals on the three small paper mache boxes, and managed to sew two pouches out of the green material.


The rest of the green material? It was cut to slightly larger than the stretched canvas, and simply pinned into place.



The various pouches and envelopes are also pinned on, with their surprise items hidden inside. Mr Bite gets to empty Number 1 today, so I won't reveal too much about those surprises - but suffice to say they are probably similar to what gets included in advent calendars worldwide.


Whether this will appear again in future years I can't say, but it was surprisingly fun to make!

Have you made an advent calendar this year, or in previous years?

How about wasabi chocolate - yay or nay?

26 comments:

  1. Oh wow, your advent calendar is fantastic, I love the Aussie animal theme! I can relate to having poor scissor skills and my hand sewing is terrible so I boycott anything other than mending a button. My present wrapping skills are also really bad so I never look forward to that part of Christmas!

    I'm looking forward to seeing the surprise item over the next week or so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! I think my minimal sewing skills stem from mandatory home economics in year 8 of high school...I still can't believe we had mandatory home economics (my brother didn't!) but I guess it left me with something.

      Delete
  2. I love craft that doesn't involve a sewing machine or sewing - your calendar looks great. I haven't seen the wasabi chocolate but I did look at the elizabeth shaw chocolates in sainsburys yesterday and now am glad I didn't buy. Sadly we have only managed to visit one supermarket because it is the one near us and the logistics of getting about with a small child are such that it is harder to get off the beaten track or dawdle late on the way home. (In answer to your question, we are headed home fairly directly - seems so odd to be returning to an Aussie summer but it is probably just as well - winter does get a bit much after a while here and it sounds like it will be a cold one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's likely Sainsbury's was the source of our Elizabeth Shaw purchases actually - I'm sorry you haven't been able to get around to different ones but if you only visited one, Sainsbury's would be the one I'd pick :-) (Waitrose is wonderful but a bit impractical!)

      I hope your trip home goes smoothly - and yes, I think you'll find the weather is remarkably different in Melbourne! Safe travels xo

      Delete
  3. Cute!! I really like that Advent calendar! We don't have one, but I would like one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ! Clever lady! Love that advent calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and it was very easy, no cleverness required!

      Delete
  5. Your advent calender is awesome! Go you! I've got that wasabi chocolate in my stash but I'm still at least 20 chocolates behind in my reviews, so I haven't bothered to eat it yet (also because I've been expecting it to be pretty mild; Lindt doesn't generally wow me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindt definitely seemed better when the point of comparison was Cadbury. When you look beyond supermarket brands, it sinks. A lot. I'll look forward to your review though!

      Delete
  6. Cute calendar! I've never tried to make one myself, but I might just have to! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first year I'd made one too - it was lots of fun!

      Delete
  7. I love love love your calendar!!!! What a sweet idea!
    And I am also a big fan of mint chocolate - not sure that i could stomach the wasabi choc though eeekkkkk!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really mild, truly! But perhaps mint would be safer - you can't go too far wrong there :-)

      Delete
  8. I love your advent calendar! I would tell you all about mine, but I'm posting about it tomorrow, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ahve never made or even bought an advent calendar, but yours is adorable. Wasabi chocolate - would give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) And wasabi chocolate is definitely something I'd recommend trying if you get the chance.

      Delete
  10. I've made wasabi-infused brownies before (SO GOOD) and I can only imagine it's just as good in a chocolate bar! I really hope I can find some of this around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try wasabi brownies. I imagine they would be fantastic!

      Delete
  11. Oh your calendar is gorgeous! Love the native-Aussie-animal theme, too cute. I must get organised one year and do something similar - maybe when Misty is old enough to appreciate the fun of counting down the days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting until he's interested would probably add to the excitement :-) We didn't have them regularly in childhood but I remember a few of the commercial chocolate type, perhaps given to us as gifts. They were so much fun!

      Delete
  12. An entire post about dark chocolate... My favorite! :) That calendar idea is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute calendar, love the animal prints with the santa hats, too cute!

    I've never tried chocolate and wasabi together because I'm just starting to warm up to wasabi and liking it. Maybe one day I'll have the nerve to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasabi and chocolate is definitely less daunting than wasabi alone, if that helps ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).