Thursday, December 20, 2012

Vegan chocolate mint tart, two ways

Sometimes, life requires difficult decisions. We have all been there. It may be a choice about a relationship. Work. Where to live. Whether to say yes (or no). A medical issue.

Sometimes the decisions are simpler, but feel equally challenging. What to wear. Which To Do list task to tackle. Whether to return that phone call. What to make for Christmas lunch. Whether to get up and run, or stay in bed for another hour.

Decisions are hard because you have to choose. There is the possibility of regretting the choice. You can't live in two countries at once. You can't sleep in and run. You have to pick an option and see it out.


For this dessert, there are no difficult decisions. I have dealt with them already. When faced with the choice of real mint or peppermint extract, I elected to make the recipe two ways, trying both options out. My taste testing may help you to decide which variety you prefer, but if you are like me and can't decide - make both. It's easy.

Whether using real mint or extract, the chocolate filling is silky smooth. It can be stored in the fridge and is soft enough to cut through with a spoon, while being firm enough to hold together and provide a rich, fudgey tart. The creaminess comes from avocado (of course) and the smooth filling is offset by the dense, nutty base.



The version with peppermint extract is minty in the way that candy canes are. Strong, intense, tasting a bit like Christmas. The version with real mint is a little more grown up, but also subtler in flavour. The mint comes through gradually. It is almost an after-taste.

I liked them both, and this is one experience where I am pleased not to have to choose. I can have both. And so can you.

Chocolate mint tart, two ways
Vegan
Makes 2 small tarts, each of which serves 2 (4 serves in total)
Ingredients
Base
1/4 cup (~45g or 10 dates) pitted dates
1/2 cup (~90g) raw almonds
1/2 - 1 tsp water, as required

Filling
1 small-medium avocado (mine was 75g flesh, which would be about 1/2 of a large avocado)
2 tbsp coconut flour
3 tbsp good quality cocoa
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
30 drops liquid stevia (or an extra 1 tbsp agave / maple syrup)
Pinch salt

If making both varieties: 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract and 12 fresh mint leaves
If making with peppermint extract only: 2 1/2 - 3 tsp peppermint extract
If making with fresh mint only: 24 fresh mint leaves

Method
Base
Roughly chop the dates and then combine the dates and almonds in a food processor and process until finely chopped and starting to clump together (several minutes). Add water gradually if needed, to bring the mixture together.

Line two small ramekin dishes with cling wrap and press half of the base mixture into each ramekin. Set aside.

Filling
In a clean food processor bowl, combine the avocado, coconut flour, cocoa, almond milk, sweeteners and salt. Process until smooth and the avocado is fully processed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. 

If making both varieties: Remove half of the chocolate filling from the food processor and set aside. Add 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract to the filling remaining in the food processor, and process briefly to combine. Transfer the mixture to one of the prepared ramekins.

Return the remaining chocolate filling to the food processor. Finely chop the mint leaves and add to the food processor; process briefly to combine. Transfer the mixture to the other prepared ramekin.

If you are making just one variety: Add the peppermint extract or finely chopped mint leaves to the chocolate mixture and process briefly to combine. Divide the chocolate mix between the two prepared ramekins.

Set in the refrigerator for approximately 4 hours, or in the freezer for approximately 1 hour. Store in the fridge.



I loved both of these, but should note that Mr Bite did not. He struggled to say exactly why, other than that they weren't quite sweet enough. He also disliked the base, which is to be expected when considering that he doesn't like nuts. I suspect he may have detected the stevia in the filling but not know what the flavour in question was. So - if you like semi-sweet desserts made with natural ingredients, I suspect you will enjoy these as much as I did. If you are used to commercial pies and tarts, you may need to add more sugar or go with a different sort of recipe.


As for my preference? I think I preferred the real mint filling just slightly. Would I still make both varieties next time? It is entirely likely.

Have you been faced with any difficult decisions lately?

If you were to pick, would you go with peppermint extract or real mint when making mint desserts?

Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend 20th - 24th December 2012.

26 comments:

  1. There's that exercise choice again. I made the wrong decision again this morning! These look really beautiful. Well done :) I love chocolate and mint together. Fav combo! To be honest, I'de add both. The mintier the better! Tylers Mum has a chocolate mint plant - SERIOUSLY THE BEST THING EVER. We are trying to decide on moving.. eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chocolate mint! Except it doesn't taste as chocolatey as I'd like ;)

      Moving is a big decision - I hope the planning / deciding goes well!

      Delete
  2. Oh my word this looks so delicious! I don't have a mint plant so I'd have to go with the extract, but the flavor would be spot on for me! (Probably not so much for my husband as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - and one advantage of husbands not being interested, is there is all the more for us :-)

      Delete
  3. Go to England. Australia will always be there waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry, that decision is done and dusted :-)

      Delete
  4. Hmm I think I would go with the real mint - I like the sound of the "grown up" taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a certain sophistication (although in my case partially countered by eating two tarts at once!).

      Delete
  5. Holiday decisions are proving to be difficult! Travelling with a pet makes it tricky but I'm sure it will be worthwhile when get everything finalised and hit the road.

    I like the sound of the real mint tart but I'm sure if I made these I would get a similar response from my fellows about it not being sweet enough and not liking nuts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bite's mother has the same challenges with her dog, who is very much a part of the family but holiday places often don't grasp that. I hope you get things sorted!

      We need to do a chocolate mint tart catch up with no men involved. You're the second person to say their partner would also dislike the nuts / low sugar!

      Delete
  6. My difficult decisions at the moment are how to show restraint! There's just so much on offer an so much to indulge in. I love your choc-peppermint tart. Chocolate and peppermint are such a winning combination xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed - and I must say that I have very little restraint when they are involved!

      Delete
  7. My difficult decision of yesterday was whether to have dessert or not even though I knew I really didn't need it. But of course I did. Lol. These tarts look awesome! Chocolate and mint are so the way to go at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of year, I think dessert gets prioritisation :-)

      Delete
  8. The pie looks delicious! :-) I think i would go with the real mint.
    Yes just this year we have had an awful time with cars & we had to decide if it was worth repairing an old car or buying a new one! Boy that was hard (and costly)......
    Life is full of decisions - some worthwhile - some not so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the car thing does sound tough. Have you made the decision yet? I hope you get it sorted out soon!

      Delete
  9. Lots of difficult decisions lately: where to live, what career path to take, etc. (I haven't made such decisions yet because I think that I secretly like the thrill of not knowing!) Anyways, these look so yummy! I love mint and chocolate, so put them together, and I know I'd love the combination no matter how it's made. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, sometimes not deciding for a while is actually a good option :-) I'm glad you like the look of these!

      Delete
  10. Ha, Viper sounds a lot like Mr Bite - he ALWAYS complains if I use stevia! These look/sound amazing, I love avocado based desserts, so creamy dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how they pick up on it! I do notice it myself, but only if it's a high amount - I couldn't tell in these.

      Delete
  11. These tarts look very decadent - I am sure I would like both. I did face a hard decision today, and now I think I've picked wrong. At least it can be changed whereas other hard decisions cannot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear :(I hope you can adjust it to end up with the result you want.

      Delete
  12. Vegan, chocolate, and mint ! Amazing. I think I personally would prefer the real mint, because real mint is amazing and I think a subtler taste is my preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Gillian :) I'm glad you like the look of them!

      Delete
  13. How lovely! Chocolate and mint is one of those classic flavour combinations I often forget about in favour of fancier things like salted chocolate or chilli chocolate, but it is really one of the best (rivalled only by peanut butter & chocolate!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - although I do like salted chocolate and chilli chocolate too :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).