Saturday, December 22, 2012

Product reviews: Moccona vanilla coffee, Ouma muesli rusks, Woolworths curried pumpkin & corn balls, and Sanitarium unsweetened almond milk

I am pleased to say that, as of yesterday, I have finished work for 2012. One of the advantages of my workplace is that we don't get Western Australian public holidays off during the year (which doesn't always feel like an advantage...) but then get those days off in lieu between Christmas and New Year. Generally we get a bonus day or two as well, to allow everything to shut down for at least 10 days over the Christmas period. Although Christmas Eve isn't usually included in this holiday stretch, it has been made a holiday this year because it falls on a Monday. I think this is brilliant.

Last week was a bit frantic as I rushed to finish everything I wanted to before Friday, but having ticked of most of my To Do list (the remainders can be done over the break with minimal effort), I am feeling like a child on summer holidays. My plans for the break involve lots of reading, sorting wedding and honeymoon photos into albums (we have the photos and the albums, but they are not yet in unison), 'big task' cleaning (windows, blinds, scrubbing grout), a few days out of Perth with Mr Bite and his family, and some time with friends. I think the 10 days will fill themselves up with no trouble.

I am looking forward to getting to these...

Despite my holiday mood, I am veering off Christmas for today's post. Product reviews feel slightly out of place at this point in the year, but they are starting to build up. What is more, all of today's products are ones that I have enjoyed trying. I am hoping they might appeal to some of you too.

Moccona vanilla infused coffee


To start at the simple end, there isn't a lot I need to say about Moccona's new flavoured coffee range, other than that it is good. In addition to vanilla, there are hazelnut and caramel flavours which I intend to try in due course. I have been enjoying the vanilla variety as a slightly sweeter alternative to regular coffee,  and I like it very much.


And that is all I have to say on that.

Ouma muesli beskuits (muesli biscuit rusks)


One of our local Woolworths supermarkets has recently added a South African food section to their store. I was interested to see the new range of foods in general, and intrigued by these rusk biscuits in particular. 


The rusks have a simple, vegan-friendly ingredient list, including wheat flour, muesli, sugar, vegetable fat, and baking powder. They are quite dense and one rusk is equivalent to two plain biscuits in nutritional value, but I found them extremely enjoyable with a cup of tea.


They are definitely a product for dunking in your tea (or any hot drink), and if you are someone who likes to dunk, I think you may well enjoy these. Since buying this first box, I have finished it, bought a second, and finished that too! I am definitely a biscuit dunker, and I definitely like these.



Woolworth's Macro vegetarian curried pumpkin and corn balls

One of the major frustrations in my life at the moment is the trend for Australia's two main supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, to drop independent brands in order to stock their own in-house range. Thus, I feel hypocritical even reviewing these new vegetarian balls from Woolworths. I should really have boycotted them in protest, but instead negotiated with myself to buy them as well as the other (non-Woolworths) brands I usually buy.


Conscience aside, I liked these balls. I liked their taste, I liked their texture, and I liked that they could be microwaved and ready to eat in one minute.


Their ingredient list includes chickpeas (at 62%), pumpkin (29%), corn (9%), and various spices including paprika, cumin, garlic, parsley, and curry powder. They were reminiscent of falafel, and just spicy enough to provide a flavour kick without being so spicy you need to worry about serving them to children, husbands, or guests with unknown taste buds. Nutritionally they are comparable to many veggie burgers: five small balls provide 150 calories, 6.4g fat and 3.9g protein. I would like more protein, but that is something that characterises many vegetarian products.


There are a number of other products in Woolworths new vegetarian range, so I may get to some of them in due course too (conscience permitting). For now, I have enjoyed these balls plain, in rolls / English muffins, and with salad.

Sanitarium unsweetened almond milk

Australia is starting to have quite a collection of almond milk options. I have been enjoying unsweetened almond milk from Almond Breeze since it appeared in April this year. When Sanitarium released an unsweetened option of their own, I thought I should give it a try.


Nutritionally, this is almost identical to the Almond Breeze variety. Both are supplemented with calcium (Almond Breeze provides slightly more) and both have negligible protein. However, I liked the taste of this far less than the Almond Breeze equivalent. I am not sure why, given how similar the ingredient lists are, but it tasted chalkier and generally less appealing. 

I have added the nutritional information for this to my spreadsheet comparing different non-dairy milks. For now, I will be sticking with Almond Breeze, but am still grateful to Sanitarium for broadening their milk options. It's a nice trend in the market.

So there we have it - four new (to me) products. Have you tried any? Would you like to?

26 comments:

  1. Happy Saturday Kari! You have some great items here...I have never tried them before, but they look yummy! Coffee, I would totally try. The curried pumpkin balls look really delicious too!
    My sister-n-law is a school teacher and she always catches up on her reading during her break...well, for the most part. But when school is out, she doesn't leave the books!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! I hope your sister in law gets some good reading in on her break too :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that brand of almond milk before. A shame it's disappointing because Sanitarium products are usually very good. How wonderful to have some time off. Enjoy your break, Kari xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie - and I do like Sanitarium so hold them in high esteem despite the milk not being perfect :)

      Delete
  3. I love the look of the Curried Pumpkins balls, I used to make these as burger patties when I was a vegetarian... (I switched after ten years when I was having my children)I still eat a lot of vego food and I will have to try these.

    Have a Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Happy Christmas to you too :)

      The curried pumpkin balls are definitely worth trying if you see them! They'd be enjoyed by non-vegetarians as well as vegetarians I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! I swear our shopping trolleys must of looked nearly the same this week! I got the hazelnut flavour coffee & I never drink instant coffee cause I hate the taste but that one was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
    I got the macro eggplant flavour balls & are in love with them! I've never had balls that are quite so moist & delicious!
    And I was sooo pleased that Sanitarium have an almond milk that finally has more almonds than sugar!!! lol - I agree than almond breeze do a better version though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now I'll have to try the eggplant balls! And that is funny, we would get on well at the supermarket I think :D

      Delete
  5. Instant coffee?!?!?!?!?

    And that is all I have to say about that.

    P.S. I'd go hardcore on those balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD I JUST REALISED WHAT I SAID AAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

      Delete
    2. Dearest Hannah, I can always rely on you for some bonus amusement in my day :) It might be just as well you don't have a Woolworths handy...

      I have to confess that instant coffee is pretty much all I drink these days! I don't have a coffee maker, don't like filtered coffee, and quit buying soy coffees earlier in the year when I fell in love with almond milk and thought I should try to save money pre-wedding. I can't drink Nescafe though. I feel nauseous thinking about it.

      Delete
    3. What do you mean by "filtered coffee"? Do you mean drip machines? 'Cause they be gross. You need to get yourself a French Press. Then you can buy all the flavoured (real) coffee that your heart desires, and we can remain friends. ;)

      Delete
    4. Yes, drip machines :) Thank goodness it isn't just me. I never knew those little plungers were called French Press's (although always wondered what a French Press was...your comment prompted me to search it!) but haven't had much luck with them either in truth. I suspect it may have been user error, though, as the issue was coffee granules not being filtered out and ending up in my cup. I shall investigate anew and perhaps spend more than $10 on a machine to boot!

      Delete
    5. No apostrophe, darling. That French Press doesn't "belong" to anything in your sentence. ;)

      Man, I'm being a smart-arse of late! It's completely your prerogative to love instant coffee. Lord knows I eat a metric tonne of processed crap that you wouldn't touch with a fifty foot pole! :P

      Delete
    6. I'm always open to apostrophe error corrections, especially in situations as embarrassing as that one :P

      Delete
  6. Oh I haven't seen the unsweetened almond milk yet - only the sugar laden variety - exciting! I will have to try when I find it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If you don't have Almond Breeze then it is definitely a great option, I am just fussy because I have two choices (do you have Almond Breeze in Qld?).

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen any of those products before. Either they aren't in the states or I just don't get out enough. It is probably that I just don't get out enough. :-)
    Enjoy your 10 day break! It sounds like you have lots of fun plans in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! And I'd say you might be off the hook with your getting out / not getting out, because I think our product ranges are really different to yours :)

      Delete
  8. Andy and I both managed to start our holidays on Monday of this past week, so we've already had a week off, and it's been so wonderful. Much of what you have planned - reading books, doing some gardening, painting rooms, and napping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect :) I am not sure how I'd go with painting, and I do struggle to nap, but reading and gardening are such fantastic holiday activities. Enjoy the rest of your break!

      Delete
  9. enjoy your holiday - amazing how fast it passes at this time of year - I am hoping to see a movie over our break - I share your unease about the new woolies brands as well as curiosity - will probably try the vegies sausages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how you find them if you do - they have such an extended range all of a sudden, it is hard to know whether to reinforce their embrace of vegetarian foods or pull back out of fear they dominate everyone else who has been doing it for years!

      Delete
  10. ooh the flavor in that coffee sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).