Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas food ideas 2012: Main meal options

It is one week until Christmas.

One week.

And I am yet to decide what I am making for Christmas lunch.



This isn't quite as catastrophic as you might think. My family has a standard Christmas lunch that will be continuing this year with minimal effort needed from me. My mother has things in a nice routine, involving some traditional Christmas dishes that I wrote about last year. I do, however, need to figure out what I will be eating while the rest of the family tucks into turkey.

Last year was the first Christmas that I was vegetarian; prior to that I didn't eat red meat but did eat seafood and poultry. I added to our traditional Christmas dinner with purple nut roastcinnamon sweet potato chickpea salad, and mandarin and maple spice quinoa salad with cranberries, apricots and almonds. My family was delightfully accommodating of my additions, and my Dad even ventured to try the quinoa salad. Given that he isn't even very fond of rice, and wouldn't voluntarily put dried fruit in savoury dishes, this was a touching gesture.

This year, I am having trouble making up my mind. I do, however, have a shortlist. It's currently more of a longlist, but I am working on it.

If you are like me and have yet to finalise your Christmas day menu, here are some ideas for main meals and sides - all vegan or easily veganised.

Christmas dinner ideas from around the blogosphere 




(see Johanna's blog for many more Christmas recipes, including a great collection of nut roasts)










Christmas dinner ideas from bite-sized thoughts







plus



My 2011 round up of Christmas meal ideas can be found here

A gift package with punch!

In other news, I was fortunate enough to return from work today to a package from the lovely Lou of Fridge Scrapings. I was the lucky winner of Lou's Christmas give away and she put together a gorgeous package - thank you again Lou :-) I feel like Christmas has started already.

What are you planning to serve this Christmas? Are you taking a traditional or non-traditional route?

30 comments:

  1. Hi Kari, I'm so sorry for my absence. Your family sounds amazingly accommodating and the range of dishes you have supplied is outstanding. No one in our family is vegan or vegetarian but we have a few GF so this year we're stuffing the turkey with quinoa based stuffing instead of bread - an no one seems to mind. Love you table setting xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie, and there is no need to apologise! A quinoa stuffing sounds like something I would like even if I did skip over the turkey :-)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have some great ideas for next week. I am still in shock that Christmas is a week away. Where did the month go?! Luckily we will be at my parent's house and my mom is an amazing cook. She put together her menu months ago and it sounds really awesome! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, December has just disappeared! It sounds like you have a great Christmas lined up :)

      Delete
  3. Non-traditional! Too hot to have the oven on all day cooking roasts!
    We're just having a bbq with a heap of side salads - which also makes it rather easy for me! yay!
    Lovely Christmas table :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it is going to be really hot here :( I only heard the forecast today and it is suddenly being factored into my food choices!

      Delete
  4. ooooh have fun! I am sure whatever you serve it will be DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, just make it all. Leftovers are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have slightly grandiose ideas about my cooking abilities ;) However, I think you will like my next post, with that stance in mind...

      Delete
  6. I really have no idea what we will be eating as we will be at my partner's parents house. They do the traditional roast turkey but aside from that I have no idea. It is very strange to be so out of the loop on the preparations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be odd - hopefully also relaxing, if nothing else?!

      Delete
  7. Even if you don't have a firm plan, I'm impressed with your (long) shortlist! As per usual I'm so unorganised for Christmas, we have had family birthdays for the last 4 weekends which makes the lead up to Christmas an incredibly busy time of year. I've been steering away from traditional foods the last couple of years and have enjoyed mixing it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthdays do throw chaos into pre-Christmas time...we have had a few this month but most of my family's come in January-March. Those weekends just disappear so I can relate to your December feeling busy!

      Delete
  8. So happy you liked the goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's quite a list! You have lots of choices. My mother hosts Christmas and makes all the choices, and I happily leave it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipes!! My mom usually makes the traditional items such as; ham, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole. At Thanksgiving we always have turkey, so at Christmas we do ham. My brother gets them both free where he works every year! :) My contribution is always some sort of veggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't think I have ever had ham at Christmas! Because we don't have Thanksgiving in Australia, we always had turkey and my family isn't big enough to justify turkey and ham :-)

      Delete
  11. I haven't decided what I'm making yet either but I LOVE these suggestions! Thanks so much for including my bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have included lots of your recipes actually :-)

      Delete
  12. so many great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all of these. To be honest, I make a veggie gravy and just tuck into the roast veggies and salad. My family are really good about my choice to not support killing animals for taste. YAY!. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too Cass! And it sounds like you have a great Christmas system sorted out :-)

      Delete
  14. thanks for all the great ideas here - I keep meaning to bookmark a few but am so far behind I might never catch up - thanks for the shout out - hope the decision making is coming along - what I have for christmas day depends on what I can make tomorrow and the weather but there will be nut roast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather is so hot I had to just leave it out of the decision making - 39'C which is really only appropriate for cold salad, and that isn't Christmassy at all! I have decided on your pumpkin, pomegranate and spiced walnut salad as a cooler option though, and am really looking forward to eating it :-)

      Delete
    2. hot weather makes the decision about eating harder - so hard to eat celebration in hot weather - but I just thought I would suggest that nut roasts are great sliced up cold like cold cuts of meat - have been enjoying our leftover nut roast on rice cakes today

      Delete
    3. That is a great point / idea - thanks!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).