Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hello from Adelaide

Do you remember, just last Sunday, how I talked about spring being on the horizon in Perth?

Let me tell you, it's not on the horizon in Adelaide.

Adelaide is cold. And rather wet. And windy. And cold!

View from my hotel room shortly after arriving

On the plus side, Adelaide is just 3 hours flying time from Perth and I got upgraded to a 'deluxe' room.

Adelaide Crowne Plaza hotel

I'm not sure what the difference is relative to the 'standard' room, but this one is nice. It's also dry and warm, which have become key priorities. For those who follow AFL football, it also seems that the Brisbane Lions are staying here ahead of their game in Adelaide on the weekend.

In my time before the end of the day, I braved the rain to re-introduce myself to Adelaide. It's a city I tend to play down in my mind, as being small and dull and without much happening (I think I need to view somewhere in Australia as less populated and less serviced than Perth...), but it's none of those things really. As I discovered on my first adult trip here nearly 10 years ago, it's rather nice.

The city centre has a good mix of architecture...


Adelaide Arcade


Parliament house


...and in an advanced move, instead of green men (to cross roads), red men (to not cross), and flashing red men (finish crossing but don't start), Adelaide has intersections with green men (to cross) and red men (to not cross) and a counting down timer (to judge your dash across the road with careful consideration).


Not all intersections have this but those that did made me very happy indeed. I don't know why this isn't done everywhere!


There are also shops aplenty, and one particular shop that tugged at my heart very insistently.

It was, of course, a food-related shop. At the bottom of the Myer shopping arcarde is a softserve frozen yoghurt shop called Menchie's. It has flavours like marshmallow, red velvet, chocolate chip cookie dough, angel food cake, and chocolate peanut butter, as well as the very necessary natural tart.

I wanted it. I really wanted it. Unfortunately, even for me, frozen yoghurt is not a good match for frozen hands, and so I constrained myself to looking without tasting. If time and weather permit, I may yet return!

Have you explored or re-discovered any new areas lately?

24 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic place! I totally agree, I can't ever hack frozen foods when it's cold outside, more like hot chocolate for me! If you do get a chance to try it out take a pic, and let us know what it's like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've always wanted to try Menchies... just because I see it on so many blogs! They just built one in the suburbs of my city.. haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cool city! And the counting down timer recently got placed in Chicago intersections, and I agree I LOVE it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a simple but wonderful idea! I wish more places would introduce it.

      Delete
  4. I love Adelaide but I've never been there when it was cold.

    You could always come to the Sunshine Coast where it's warm and sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will actually be in Queensland later in the year for a different work conference (I tell you, 2012 is a crazy year!) :) I hope the state puts on sunshine and not floods for me!

      Delete
  5. Hi Adelaide! I've not been, but I've heard that it is interesting. I think we'll have to go in the summer, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adelaidians (if that's what they're called) keep telling me this weather isn't typical...but I think go in the summer anyway :)

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Adelaide, so it's nice to see all these pictures~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them Liz - it is a nice little city and worth visiting if you ever get the chance.

      Delete
  7. I've only stayed in Adelaide overnight years ago and didn't really see much at all. The weather sounds pretty much like Melbourne at the moment. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely been given insight into what the rest of Australia experiences during winter. I think we've been quite lucky! And thank you :) I'm looking forward to flying back home tomorrow night.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great City! Minus the rain and cold...;) I can't wait for an excuse to drink hot chocolate! I definitely gravitate to warm things after being outside in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Brandi :) I've had an excuse all winter long!

      Delete
  9. on my first work trip to adelaide quite some years ago we went and watched them wrap chocolates at haighs because we had missed the tour - it was wonderful - highly recommend it Better than some subsequent work trips! We had blue skies and thunder the last couple of days - hope some blue skies peeped through that rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how fantastic! I did visit Haigh's but missed out on seeing any chocolate wrapping, which is a shame. Still, any work trip that involves chocolate isn't too bad :)

      Delete
  10. Adelaide...I love the sound of that! So elegant and pretty! And Perth too! Man all the city names sound like places that can be in books such as the DIVERGENT!! (sorry..I'm just obsessed with the trilogy) I'm actually convincing my hubby that we should move to Australia..I'm being dead serious!...someday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been to Adelaide, so I am enjoying your photos and perspective on it. Need to go there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a trip! The hills around Adelaide are beautiful too, although I didn't get out of the city this time.

      Delete
  12. What a shame you were there when the weather was so miserable and cold. We've been having beautiful weather in Sydney - it's like Spring has already arrived and I'm loving it. Don't you just love upgrades - puts a smile on my face every time. I would have loved to have tried the marshmallow frozen yoghurt but like you, only on a warm day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have finally got some warm weather in Sydney - well over-due I think! I really did appreciate our mild winter after experiencing some colder temperatures.

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).