Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lentil potato cakes

Thank you for your well wishes on our rapidly approaching wedding day. It feels very surreal but I can see that the remaining time will slip by very quickly!

These lentil potato cakes aren't quite as exciting as an impending wedding, but they are nonetheless enjoyable. Some might argue that they are also more useful. If nothing else - they make a good dinner and great leftovers for workday lunches.


I have called these potato cakes instead of burgers or patties because that is what they are. Potato features in the ingredient list and in the eating experience, and they are softer than burgers as a result. This also allows them to stand alone with quite simple side dishes, and I found that salad was enough to round them out and turn them into a meal.


Given the combination of lentil and potato, these also reminded me of vegetarian shepherd's pie. Indeed, I was going to call them vegetarian shepherd's pie cakes, but that seemed too much of a mouthful. They are reminiscent of that dish, though, but with a bit of an edge from the lime and smoked paprika.

Lentil potato cakes
Makes about 16
Vegan


Ingredients
2 medium potatoes
1 tsp chia seeds, soaked in 1/4 cup water for at least 15 minutes
1/2 small capsicum, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp lime juice
1 - 2 tsp smoked paprika
1x 425g tin cooked lentils, drained (~1 cup)
1/4 cup plain flour or flour of choice
1/4 cup oats (or more flour)


Method
Peel and roughly chop your potatoes. Add to a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to the boil and then simmer on low heat for ~20 minutes or until tender.

Transfer the cooked potatoes to a large bowl, mash using a fork or masher, and allow to cool slightly. Set your chia seeds to soak in water if they aren't pre-prepared.

Add the soaked chia seeds, chopped capsicum, chopped celery, chopped parsley, grated ginger, lime juice, smoked paprika and lentils to the potato. Mix through and mash ingredients further if needed. Add the flour and oats and stir well to combine.

Allow the mixture to stand in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

When ready to cook, heat your oven to a low temperature (~100'C) and prepare a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Shape the lentil potato mixture into small patties and cook in the pan, for 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until browned. I cooked 3 at a time but this will depend on your pan size.

Keep your cooked potato cakes warm by transfering them from the frying pan to an oven tray and leaving them in the pre-heated oven whilst you cook the remainder of the batch.

Serve with salad.


I had trouble photographing these in our house's sub-optimal evening lighting, so the above picture of leftover cakes (taken on my phone at work) is the best I have to summarise the colours of this dish. The cakes were attractive to look at, when seen in light!, and the combination of ingredients was one I enjoyed.

I have frozen half of the batch so can't yet comment on how they survive the freezing process, but the ones I ate for lunch kept their texture well overnight.

Do you like vegetarian shepherd's pie dishes or potato cakes? It's been years since I ate the former but can see potato cakes staying as a regular part of our meal rotation.

27 comments:

  1. Yummo! I'm a big pattie fan.... with a huge fresh salad + lots of condiments I'm a happy gal. Yay I'm so excited for your big day, Kari - how are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou :) I am feeling pretty good! Increasingly excited and decreasingly stressed, which I figure is a good thing :)

      Delete
  2. I love me some patties and I love how these use staples I'd usually hav on hand anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound super healthy and great for a quick after work dinner

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so funny that you said these lentil and potato cakes aren't as exciting as a wedding. Too funny. Of course not. But they do look very yummy all the same xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm glad they look appetizing despite their low excitement factor!

      Delete
  5. Those look and sound awesome! Lentils and potatoes are pretty much two of my favorite foods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I love both too and am surprised it too me so long to mix them in this form.

      Delete
  6. Oh girl~you KNOW I like potato cakes! Anything with the word "cake", really...hm. :) And I'm so excited for your wedding!!! are you planning on showing us the pics? Yes, no? *nudge nudge*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 'cake' does add a certain something to the title ;)

      On photos - definitely! I'm cagey about my identity though so they won't include pictures of my face / us, but I'm sure there'll be lots of the day and dress that can be shared :)

      Delete
  7. Yum! I love anything with the word "cake." ;) I have a jar full of lentils just sitting in my pantry...I'm going to try this with sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be brilliant with sweet potato! Fantastic idea :)

      Delete
  8. Kari these do look delicious but... I seem to be side tracked by the fact that you are about to get MARRIED!!! Super excited for you dear girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, it is a bit distracting :-) Thank you Brydie xx

      Delete
  9. here comes the bride!! :) hehehe...soo exciting. we'll call u the awesome vegan-lentil-potato-cake bride for today. just kidding. sorry, i'm a little punchy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...I'll no doubt have that pop into my mind on Saturday :P

      Delete
  10. lentil and potato sounds like such a great comforting combination - I think I need to add these burgers to our regular recipes for when we have leftover mash from our weekly bangers and mash. I also love shepherd's pie but I have found that reheating the mash is ok but just not as nice as fresh mash on top so maybe that is why I haven't been making it as much lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would probably work better with leftover mash actually - I find mashed potato usually thickens a bit with time which would be helpful here. The flip side, as you say, is that it's less nice when you re-heat it plain!

      Delete
  11. Mmmm really anything involving potato and a frypan is all good by me. I'm also trying to decrease how much meat we eat (not that we eat a lot but it is so expensive and not very good environmentally) and these look like something that S would actually enjoy.
    Enjoy these last couple of days and have a brilliant wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite 'normal' like - I think most people like potato cakes and sneaking lentils in is pretty easy!

      And thank you Lisa :)

      Delete
  12. The lentil potato cakes sound great. I can't believe you are still blogging recipes with only a couple of days to go!

    My fellows love a shepherds pie so I do make them relatively often to please them more than myself. I'm not a fan of reheated mashed spuds either so I try to steer clear of the leftover pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All week, people have been saying to me "I can't believe you're still at work" and the like (although I wasn't on Tuesday afternoon and yesterday afternoon and I won't be this afternoon!) - but really, what am I meant to be doing?? I'm worried I'm forgetting something, but I think this small wedding thing leads to less to do!

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness!! Your wedding!! :) I can't believe it's time!

    Love the potato cakes. I really do like to cook in bulk and then freeze. It makes it easier to just grab and reheat. I have been thinking lately about cooking my dinners for the week and doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it's time either!

      Cooking in bulk and freezing is such a great approach. I wish I had a bigger freezer but even the space we have allows for a bit of it.

      Delete
  14. I actually love all things in cake or patty form, so I'd go with your title! They do look like tasty little bites!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).