Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vegan banana bread cake

I know that banana bread isn't the most exciting product out there. It's been done many times before. It's even been done by me before.

Yawn.

The thing is, though, this banana bread is more like a cake.


A seriously delicious, almost fudgy cake. It uses non-dairy spread (or margarine or butter) instead of oil, creamed with brown sugar to give a fluffy start to the mixture. There are 3 bananas. Chia seeds add an extra punch to the batter. The resulting product is firmly in the 'dessert' category, but stands alone with no need for icing.

If you did want some topping, though, warm toffee syrup would go down rather well. It's that kind of bread cake.


I made this some time ago and had a mini panic when I lost the scrap of people on which I'd scrawled the recipe. Even though it's only banana bread, I didn't want to lose it. I wanted to be able to recreate it exactly, even though I struggle to follow recipes exactly (thus why this banana bread isn't the same as my last banana bread!). Happily, I found the scrap of paper, and I hereby declare this my new banana bread recipe.




Banana bread cake
Adapted from my previous banana bread
Vegan
Makes 1 loaf cake


Ingredients
1/4 cup non-dairy spread (or margarine or butter)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 medium ripe bananas, roughly mashed
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp chia seeds
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt


Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and prepare a loaf tin.

Beat the non-dairy spread and brown sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Add the mashed bananas, milk, vanilla and chia seeds, and mix to combine.

Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix well to combine. 

Bake for ~40 minutes, until golden.


If I can save our over-ripe bananas from frozen banana soft serve (questionable), we will definitely have more of this appearing in our house before too long.

What's your view on banana bread? Or are there other 'stand by' baking recipes in your house?

20 comments:

  1. I love this and I don't think there can be too many recipes for banana bread/cake. Your recipe looks so good and soft and moist and dense and tasty. I'd love a slice for dessert right now! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment phrasing has made me want a slice right now too! Soft and moist and dense and tasty - beautiful descriptors. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. "It's only banana bread?" NEVER! There can never be enough banana recipes in my opinion! Even though they all seem similar, the bbs are so delicate-natured that even the slightest modifications can make a huge difference. Love the addition of chia seeds! I def want to make this as we always have overripe bananas on laying around somewhere in the house. I've never had non-dairy spread, but I do want to follow your recipe exactly. You had me at "...more like cake." I don't want that to change. Is there a certain brand that you'd recommend? You should really consider joining Pinterest! Your recipes are sure to make me a pinning maniac! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Min! :) Regarding non-dairy spread, I use Nuttelex, which is an Australian brand. I hear Americans talk about Earth Balance and that might be similar?

      One day I will get on pinterist properly and I think then I'll have no time :P

      Delete
  3. I am putting these on my 'to make' list. I love how healthy and delicious they sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum always made banana cake so banana bread is still a little odd to me. I have a number of banana cake/bread recipes on my blog - there are so many ways to bake with bananas! I love the idea of the chia seeds here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bite is the same - in his mind, banana cake is the product to go for and banana bread is an oddity. My family was the opposite but the cake stance is growing on me :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, this reminds me of the vegan date banana bread/cake I made waaaaay back at the beginning of my blog! If it weren't for the fact that I'm eating warm chocolate (yes, chocolate!) vitatops right now with vegan ice cream, I'd be sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the warm chocolate vitatops with vegan ice cream! I think we'd be thankful for them anyway though - why does Australia lag so with these sorts of products?!

      Delete
  6. I love banana bread! :) It looks super moist...Um, now I want banana bread and a cup of coffee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread and coffee are a match made in heaven :)

      Delete
  7. My view on banana bread is as always, no. Bananas, I just don't understand the attraction. However last night I did get to have one of our standby baking treats, vanilla cupcakes. Mum had made heaps to take into the nursing home where she volunteers and S was saying he didn't understand why she would make vanilla. Clearly somehow in all the time we have been together he had not experienced the wonder of a vanilla cupcake based on the magnolia bakery recipe. He is now a convert to the vanilla deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! I agree - vanilla done properly is a wonderful thing (just as vanilla done badly is a boring thing!).

      Delete
  8. Wow this looks so good I would love it with a heap of butter and a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara! I had mine with tea so I can attest it's a good combination :)

      Delete
  9. I think MOST of my nice ripe bananas get used for banana soft serve (mmmmm) BUT I am not allowed bananas AT ALL at the moment. So this post is making me sad and hungry at the same time.... the bread sounds SO good. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( I'm sorry! But the no fruit thing isn't forever, right?

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).