Monday, August 27, 2012

No-bake, vegan, apple crunch squares

It was with a certain amount of joy that I woke up in my own bed yesterday morning. With the Adelaide-based conference out of the way, it has started to dawn on me that our wedding really is in five days. Five days!

A (mostly) home-based Sunday in sunny Perth was just what I needed to adjust from the frenzy last week. The luxury of a day with no outside commitments also, of course, meant that I could spend some time in the kitchen.


At the moment, I really don't need to be baking huge quantities of goods. After the wedding, it is only a week before our one month trip away, and so we are trying to run down food rather than stock up on it. Fortunately, there are some things that can be made quickly and then eaten quickly. These no-bake apple crunch squares are definitely in that category, and have the added bonus of including just three core ingredients.


Interestingly, the resulting squares reminded me of rice bubble bars (the type made with marshmallows) and fruit leather. I appreciate these are quite different products. I can only say that these squares seem to blend the two, with the 'puff' and slight stickiness of rice bubble bars, and the dominant fruit flavour and texture of fruit leather. I made my squares quite thin, which might have added to the fruit leather experience.

These aren't my favourite no bake treats, but that is because apple isn't my favourite dried fruit. They are enjoyable for a change, though, and are lighter than standard dried fruit and nut mixes. Making them as squares instead of balls was also nice for something different.


No-bake apple crunch squares
A apple-flavoured treat that is reminiscent of rice bubble bars and fruit leather strips
Vegan
Makes 20 squares


Ingredients
1 cup (80g) dried apple rings
1/2 cup (70g) raw cashews
1 cup (15g) puffed cereal (I used Abundant Earth puffed millet)
1 tbsp apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla (optional)


Method
Roughly chop the dried apple. Process the dried apple and cashews in a food processor until well mixed and starting to look crumbly (~ 1 minute).

Add the puffed cereal, apple sauce and vanilla to the food processor and continue processing until the ingredients are well mixed and starting to clump together.

Line a square baking tin (or a loaf tin) with baking paper and press the apple mixture firmly into the tin. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set. Cut into squares before serving.


You really can't get much simpler than this!


The best thing is, these could also be modified in almost never-ending ways - different dried fruit, different puffed cereal, and different nuts. An apricot and almond version comes to mind as a good pairing. A tablespoon of nut or sesame seed butter would add creaminess if that's your thing. These could also be made in a loaf tin, to make thicker slices, or you could double the ingredients to make higher squares.

All in all, I suspect I'll be seeing more of these sorts of squares in my kitchen in the future.

What did you get up to - or make - over the weekend?

40 comments:

  1. These look so tasty! I love how they have a fall feel to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five days! Oh, Kari! So thrilling :)

    P.S. Dried apples aren't my favourite either; maybe added some lemon zest would create pizzazz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, lemon zest would be brilliant. Pizzazz indeed :)

      And thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Five days, how exciting! I too had the joy of waking up in my own bed this morning after a few days away for dance camp. I didn't want to get out. Have a brilliant week and an even better wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa :) And I'm glad you had that joy of your own bed, especially as an end to your wonderful time at the camp.

      Delete
  4. These sound great - I am not so keen on dried apple either so I immediately thought of an apricot version. And I love your leaf plate. Five days is not long - they will whizz by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will! They are! :)

      I am quite keen to try an apricot version next time I make these. I bought dried apple on a whim but I think apricot would be a better match.

      Delete
  5. Looks really yummy- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - 5 days - so excited for you guys! Wishing you all the best for the big day. The apple bars look amazing. I have found two new vegan sites tonight that I love - I am all for sweet recipes that are healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm really glad you've discovered some more vegan sites - sweet recipes that are healthy are a pretty great concept (mind you, not all vegan sweet recipes are healthy, but the proportion seems to be higher than average!).

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you have just five days to go. That's so exciting. And to have a lovely four week holiday after the wedding will be such a great start to marriage. Best wishes with getting everything organised for your big day xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the food looks incredible! Your presentation is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome! All the Best for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe your wedding is so soon!! You must be so excited. :) These apple bars sound like the perfect thing to (not) bake :P I love how they can be adapted to just about any dried fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting more excited and more nervous :P But mostly excited!

      I'm glad you like the look of these :)

      Delete
  11. I'm not a big apple fan either so /I'm not sure I'd like them but they look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could swap the apple for a different fruit? I think pretty much any dried fruit would work.

      Delete
  12. I haven't eaten dried apples in years. I like the sound of these squares and think they would be great with dried apricot too.

    Wow, the countdown really is on now! Hope the week isn't too stressful Kari and your wedding is a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel :) And I think the dried apricot would be a winner - it's what I'll do next time I think.

      Delete
  13. 5 days! that is SO exciting! enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. no bake recipes are some of my FAVORITE due to the consitency - these look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kailey :) I'm glad you like the look of these!

      Delete
  15. I love this idea! The flavors seem very autumn-y to me, and I love that. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raechel, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. It's times like this I really wish I had a food processor! Ahh, the possibilities are endless, and this recipe looks so simple and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent so many years thinking / feeling that way :P Hopefully you'll get one eventually, but in the meantime, you could probably make a semi-version of these by mixing nut butter and apple sauce and puffed cereal by hand? I'm not sure how they'd come out but they might work!

      Delete
  17. i kno i've already told u about my love affair with crumblies...nuf said. actually, i wanna see u do a whole post about a recipe for just the crumblies. :) but the whole treats here look delish! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, that would be a great post - crumblies galore :)

      Delete
  18. Yum! So glad that you were able to relax after a busy week. ;) Baking and making goodies is always a fun way to do that.
    These look pretty easy to make too! :) I am seeing this on top of some greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would go brilliantly with greek yoghurt! Great thinking :)

      Delete
  19. Ermagerd! I knew you were having a short engagement but I had no idea it was all so close! Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did rather creep up! I think we must be in the 'very short' category - 5 months from engaged to married :P Thank you!

      Delete
  20. Dried apple isn't my favourite dried fruit either... but I agree, it's nice and light and I LOVE puffed millet... these sound like a great snack.

    Getting back in your own kitchen and creating is such a god feeling after time away, no?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).