Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sweet potato, chickpea and hemp seed veggie burgers

There have  been some great veggie burger posts in the last week. Angela talked about preparing and freezing large quantities of burgers, on Oh She Glows. Gena talked about building good veggie burgers, on Choosing Raw and on Food 52.

Just so we're clear, this post isn't in quite the same category. I just have a recipe.


It is, though, a recipe that I'm rather happy with. I really liked these burgers. I liked the sweet potato base, which dominated the flavours without over-dominating them. I liked the chickpeas and hemp seeds, with their joint benefits for flavour and texture. I liked the smoked paprika, the kale, and even the onion. I really liked the oats.

I'm hoping that you might like them too.


I have no doubt that these draw on a number of veggie burger recipes, including those I've seen online and those I've eaten (and made) previously. The ingredient list really wrote itself, and would be easily adaptable to your own tastes and pantry items if desired. I imagine that swapping out the chickpeas for other legumes, the oats for other grains, and the hemp seeds for other seeds would all work well. 

For now, though, here is my version.

Sweet potato, chickpea and hemp seed veggie burgers
Makes 10 burger patties
Vegan

Delicious by themselves and quite incredible when paired with tomato flavours (fresh tomato, tomato relish, or tomato sauce)


Ingredients
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly diced (mine weighed 675g in total with peel and 475g peeled)
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 tin)
1/2 cup rolled oats, processed into oat flour (or 1/2 cup commercial oat flour or flour of choice)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 onion, diced
~1/3 cup chopped kale (I used about 8 small kale leaves picked from my garden; I imagine this would equate to 4 large kale leaves)
1 tsp chia seeds soaked in 1/3 cup water (mine soaked from the time I steamed the sweet potato)
1 - 2 tbsp hemp seeds (or sesame seeds, if you don't have hemp)
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 - 2 tsp dried oregano
~1/2 tsp salt
Few good cracks black pepper

Tomatoes or tomato relish, to serve


Method

Steam your sweet potato until tender and then set aside to cool (I steamed mine early in the day and then left it in the fridge until the evening).



While the sweet potato is cooling, set your chia seeds to soak and process the 1/2 cup oats into oat flour using a food processor (if using).

When the sweet potato is cooled, roughly mash it and the chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the oat flour  (or flour of choice) and oats and mix through. Add the remaining ingredients and mix through.

Allow the mixture to stand in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.

When the mixture is ready, preheat your oven to 180'C and line two baking trays with baking paper. 

Shape the mixture into approximately 10 patties. Bake on the prepared baking trays for 30 minutes, or until crispy.

Serve in burger buns, with rice, or simply with salad. Tomato accompaniment is highly recommended.



I found these re-heated well, which can sometimes be a challenge with veggie burgers. The texture is softer when they're warmed in the microwave, but the patties still held together and the outside retained a certain crispiness. The flavours, if anything, improved with time.

All in all? I think I will be making these again.

Do you have a favourite or 'go to' veggie burger? 

Submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend

28 comments:

  1. They sound lovely to me - my default vegie burger is tofu, grated carrot and zucchini, breadcrumbs, eggs and seasoning. I also love finely chopped broccoli in burgers.

    But I love all the ingredients in your burgers and I am quite into that winter thing of roasting sweet potato and pumpkin whenever I can. Would be great for these burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried chopped broccoli in burgers - I will have to give it a go. I have also never made tofu burgers which seems terribly embarrassing to admit! I will have to try your version.

      Delete
  2. What a combination of flavors! I love it. Definitely will be adding this to my summer try list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela's " our perfect veggie burger" recipe is actually my go to recipe! Hits the spot every time! I love this recipe also! The addition of kale sounds awesome! I can't get enough of sweet potatoes! NEVER! I actually have some roasting right now for dinner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of sweet potatoes either :) Or at least, I can't until I eat too many for too long and then briefly get a bit sick of them :P

      Delete
  4. These look perhaps slightly healthier than the Boca and Morngstar (I think?) veggie burgers I've been eating lately :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But less American :) And thus less exciting!

      Delete
  5. wow, great mix of ingredients! i love how healthy these are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love anything that you can add a sweet potato too! How long did you soak the chia seeds? Just long enough while you get the other ingredients together? I don't have any hemp seeds, but I do have some sesame seeds! :) Can you use Flax seeds?
    Great recipe Kari!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! And yes, you can just soak the chia seeds while you get the other ingredients ready :) I did mine before steaming the sweet potato so they soaked for quite a while (by the time the potato cooked and then cooled...) but I've found it doesn't matter too much if they soak for 15 minutes or a few hours.

      I'm sure flax seeds would work great too! And I'm keen to try these again with sesame seeds myself :)

      Delete
  7. okay, don't hate me but i smile every time i read about hemp seed. i read hemp and i think of the hemp bracelets i used to make, then i smile because i think of eating them! :P but i kno u're a maven in the kitchen and those would NEVER taste like a bracelet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee, that's so funny :) To be honest, I always giggle to myself at hemp seeds too, just because they sound (a) so hippy-ish and (b) kind of drugy!

      Delete
  8. These look great! I just discovered adding sweet potato to veggie burgers this year and can't get enough of them now! You are spot on with your description of the sweet potato bringing just the right amount of flavor to the burger without muting out all the other flavors. I've been using black beans in the ones I make but will have to try chickpeas out next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potatoes are such a versatile vegetable :) And they do also go well with black beans - we'll have to swap and I'll try your flavour combination.

      Delete
  9. those look really good! i love that you combined chickpeas with sweet potatoes in a burger - brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colour of these vege burgers - they are like sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I think I took them in bright sunshine light so that may have helped :P

      Delete
  11. Your veggie burgers look and sound delicious! I love attempting to make up burger recipes but I don't have a great success rate with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a long track record so it may be beginner's luck :)

      Delete
  12. These sound incredible--full of so many good ingredients! Can't wait to give them a try. And thanks so much for linking up to Wellness Weekend this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki - I hope you enjoy them if you make them. And thanks, as always, for hosting :)

      Delete
  13. Yum. I don't have a go-to recipe for veggie burgers, it just depends what I have on hand in my cupboards/fridge. I really need to try hemp seeds, they are hard to find and super pricey round these parts though. Love the colour of your patties, very vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! I was fortunate enough to win my hemp seeds from Theresa's give away on The Tropical Vegan...I'm hoping they last me long enough to avoid purchase needs for some time :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).