Friday, September 15, 2017

Jacket potato stuffed with hummus, kale and pepper

This really doesn't qualify as a recipe, but sometimes the posts I like best on others' sites are those that give me inspiration without complication. In other words, posts like these, which may offer new ideas for ingredient combinations without lots of preparation time or effort. I'm not sure if this particular mix will be new to you - but it went down well for me this week as a simple but tasty lunch.


With little to say about this dish other than it being simple, quick and tasty, I will share some random other points with this post...

  • Christmas products are officially in the shops. I am not a fan of Christmas marketing this early, but was pleased to see vegan white chocolate santas on sale for just 10p each (in Sainsburys).I bought 12! I think it may have been a labeling error (usually they are £1).




  • For various reasons I won't bore you with, I found myself with time at home this week while Mini Bite was at nursery. It was my first time in the house without her in the 13 months since she was born. It was (and I hope I don't sound like a bad mother for saying this) amazing. I got so much done! It was so quiet! Things stayed where I left them! I will have to find a way to repeat the experience before another 13 months passes.
  • Also coming up as a 'first since Mini Bite's arrival' is my first half marathon in almost 2 years. I'm running the Tonbridge half marathon on the 1st October and am excited to get out there and attempt 13.1 miles again. I've got up to 11 miles in training, so I'm hoping my body remembers the final stretch.
  • It's been a while since I've shared book, TV or movie recommendations. I may organise myself to do a proper summary soon, but for now, I will say that we recently (finally) watched A Theory of Everything and loved it. I was also excited to hear about the new release, Mother, by Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky. However, on reading about it I am not sure I'll actually like the film. If you see it, let me know what you think. Given we never make it out to the cinema, I probably won't watch it for several years anyway.

Jacket potato stuffed with hummus, kale and pepper
Quick, easy and tasty!
Serves 1
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 potato of a size to suit your appetite
1 cup baby kale leaves or chopped regular kale
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup hummus
Salt and pepper, optional and to taste

Method
If using a microwave, microwave your potato until cooked through - in my case, roughly 7 minutes on medium-high power, turning once at the half way mark. If cooking in the oven, bake until cooked through.

Once cooked, cut the potato in half and scoop the soft potato filling into a small bowl. Stir through the kale, pepper, hummus and seasonings. Scoop back into the potato skin and serve.

What are you eating, or doing, this week?

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this - we are having miso soup tonight as I need some quick vegies and I pack my miso soup with veg and noodles (I know it is not traditional). I am glad you are finding a bit of time to yourself - it can be so hard but is so good for you. I know the feeling about not keeping up with cinema releases. Good luck with your marathon - that is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of your non-traditional miso soup. And thanks for the running luck, although feel obliged to clarify it's a half rather than full marathon :-)

      Delete
  2. Everyone needs time to themselves - I'm glad you got yours and made good use of it! I'm also massively impressed on the marathon too. It's hard to go wrong with a jacket spud for dinner - they may not take a lot of cooking, but they're always good eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simpleness of your recipe and you have inspired me to try something new with baked potatoes!
    I'm not a fan Christmas too early either. At least give us till after Halloween, but nice score on the Sanatas. :)

    Good luck in your half marathon! I've never run one before but I'm hoping to do one in Disney next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic first half to do. Good luck with the training!

      Delete
  4. Wow, great deal on the Santas. Time alone can be good. This potato sounds good - I like inspirational ideas too.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).