Friday, September 22, 2017

Chocolate beetroot brownie smoothie bowl

A little while back, I bought a bag of frozen beetroot with the view to adding it to smoothies. Several months later, just as the weather is turning cold, I finally gave it a go. The result was this chocolate beetroot brownie smoothie bowl - a thick, creamy, chocolatey mix that you can feel good about eating at any time of day.


In addition to beetroot this has spinach and avocado. You can't detect the latter two ingredients but the avocado contributes to the thick and creamy texture. You probably can pick up the beetroot if you are used to beetroot brownie combinations - there is a slight earthiness that the vegetable contributes. However, it is subtle and the main flavour here is definitely chocolate.

I used strawberries as the fruit component in this, simply because I had some in the freezer. Raspberries would be a nice twist and if I'd had fresh berries to hand, I'd have added some on top too. 

This is the first 'smoothie bowl' I've made. It worked well here because the mix was thicker than what you'd usually drink, but thinner than a typical pudding. You could, of course, add more liquid to make this a traditional smoothie if you prefer.


Chocolate beetroot brownie smoothie bowl
Full of nutrition and full of chocolate! 
Vegan, gluten free
Serves 2

High-powered blender or food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup cooked beetroot pieces, frozen if possible
1 cup berries, frozen if possible (e.g., strawberries or raspberries)
1 cup spinach leaves
1 small-medium avocado
4 dates
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups water, or more for a thinner drink

Cacao nibs, optional, for topping

Method
Combine all ingredients except the cacao nibs (if using) in a blender, and process until smooth. Top with cacao nibs and serve.

Smoothies in bowls - yay or nay?

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you describe what a smoothie bowl is - I thought people just poured their smoothie into a bowl (you can see I don't really do smoothie bowls) - and this sounds like my sort of smoothie - chocolate and beetroot and berries sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe people do! I am a smoothie bowl novice so my interpretation may be my own :-)

      Delete
  2. I think the colour is beautiful, and the shine too. It takes me a bit of convincing to try beetroot in sweet dishes, but the few times I've tried it, I've really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's clever, isn't it, the way it gets absorbed and disguised by other flavours!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).