Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Apple and banana cinnamon pikelets

I have made apple-containing pikelets many a time, and banana-containing pikelets on occasion, but never blended the two before this week. Mixing the two worked well in allowing for sweetness from both fruits plus the contrasting textures of mashed banana and chopped apple. I recommend these as a simple snack or breakfast free of refined sugar, and as easy to make from basic ingredients.


Yet again I find myself needing to make a note on terminology, with pikelets being the Australian term for small pancakes or 'Scotch pancakes'. It is amazing how much variation exists in food terminology across English speaking countries!

I added rolled oats to the batter of these, as well as flour, but the proportions are such that you can't really detect the oats. You could use all flour it you preferred. I also used hemp seeds in my mix, but chia seeds would work instead, or even flax or pumpkin seeds.



Apple and banana cinnamon pikelets
Makes 16 or so pikelets
Vegan

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbondate of soda
1 tbsp hemp seeds, chia seeds or seeds of choice
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 large banana, roughly mashed
1 apple, roughly chopped

Oil, if needed, for cooking

Method
Combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, hemp seeds) in a mixing bowl and stir together. Add the milk and vanilla essence and stir to combine. Fold in the mashed banana and chopped apple.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed. Drop dessertspoonfuls of mixture onto the pan. Cook until bubbles start to appear (1 - 2 minutes) and then flip and repeat, so both sides are browned. Repeat for the other pikelets.

Have you tried any variations on old favourites recently?

5 comments:

  1. I love pikelets - haven't had them for a while and I do love them with fruit in them - so am sure I would really love these (and am sure mini bite loves them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a pikelet and the flavours in these are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a confirmed pikelet fan, but I've always thought of them as savoury - the little cousin of crumpets. Looking forward to trying these sweet versions.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).