Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Black forest mug cake

I hit publish on this post with a certain amount of pride, as it is the first recipe I've made and posted post-baby. However, there is a poignancy in said recipe featuring 1-1/2 minutes of microwave cooking time and no washing up to speak of! Whilst I have done some more labour intensive cooking in the 3 weeks since Mini Bite was born, microwave mug cakes are definitely appropriate to this stage of life.


This is the third mug cake I've shared on Bite-Sized Thoughts and it is nicely different to the last two (which were sticky date pudding in a mug and banana peanut butter cake in a mug). I'm tempted to say this black forest version is my favourite, but really they are all good in their own ways. Certainly this version is very good, and delightfully chocolatey, with just the right mix of chocolate to cherries to cake.



Traditional black forest cakes feature cream, which I haven't tried to replicate here. However, the mix of chocolate and cherries is a classic one and I enjoyed the splash of almond essence in place of cherry liqueur. I will definitely be making this again!

Black forest mug cake
A delicious vegan twist on traditional black forest cake, with the added bonus of needing just 1-1/2 minutes cooking time!
Serves one

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
2 tbsp spelt flour or plain flour
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp carob syrup (or rice malt syrup or agave)
3-1/2 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp almond essence (or more vanilla)
1 to 1-1/2 tbsp dairy-free dark chocolate chips (or chopped dairy-free dark chocolate)
10 cherries, de-stoned and cut in half, either thawed from frozen or fresh

Method
Combine all ingredients except the chocolate and cherries in a large microwave-proof mug (a 500ml size is perfect). Whisk thoroughly with a fork, ensuring ingredients are well combined. Add the chocolate and 6-8 of the cherries and stir through. 

Microwave on full power for 1-1/2 minutes. Add the reserved 2-4 cherries and enjoy.


Do you have a favourite 1-2 minute dessert?

12 comments:

  1. Love these types of desserts. Normally they're less exciting than a black forest cake though, delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just lovely and it is nice to hear you are finding time and energy to cook, and to blog of course! Am sure life has changed so much since mini bite arrived

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has indeed - more than I could even have imagined :P

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious, and the perfect sort of thing to scoop and eat one handed if required! I applaud your ability to blog, and I hope mini Bite is settling in beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is low in the priority list at present but fun when I do get a chance :-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds delish,
    I admire that you are finding time to blog with a tiny one. Not comparing but when I was running the cafe a few years back, my blogging dwindled, but its good that you find time for yourself in the kitchen and in front of the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it has indeed dwindled, but I like getting a chance to post when I can :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum! I have only once made a mug cake. This one is definitely worth a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try more! They are brilliant :D

      Delete
  6. This sounds great! I'm glad things are going well with Mini Bite =) Nice to see a recipe during what I imagine to be a busy time =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).