Saturday, August 27, 2016

Thai bean burgers

This is another pre-baby meal and, again, another meal I look forward to recreating one day. Some of the pictures also reveal my late pregnancy craving for vinegar. I was making homemade chips regularly for the primary purpose of smothering them with the stuff! I had very few pregnancy food cravings (just aversions in the first trimester) but in the final weeks I seemed to want malt vinegar in copious quantities.


As for the actual burgers, I have previously shared two Thai-style veggie patty recipes flavoured with ginger, chilli and soy sauce. Clearly I know my burger tastes because today's recipe is really a third variation of the same concept. However, I think it is the best variation yet. These burgers are bigger, heartier, meatier, and sturdier than the patties I've shared before.


Much as I love my food processor, I prefer to avoid it for burger recipes if I can. Thus, you won't need a food processor for these burgers, although if you choose to use one you'll cut down on mixing and chopping time and will have patties with a smoother final texture.

These work well as burgers in buns, with salad and, yes, with homemade chips.



Thai bean burgers
An easy, hearty vegan-friendly burger recipe that yields four burger patties

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups (1 tin) butter beans or white beans, cooked
Drizzle olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium carrot, grated
1/2 cup kale, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger puree or grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp tahini
1 piece of bread, crusts removed, crumbled
1/4 cup plain flour

Method
In a mixing bowl, roughly mash the cooked beans with a masher or the back of a fork and then set aside (they don't need to be too smooth at this stage).

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and pre-heat your oven to 160'C (320'F). 

Drizzle oil in your pan if needed and saute the onion and garlic until fragrant and golden, approximately 5 minutes. Add the beans, pepper, carrot, kale, ginger, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and tahini to the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Transfer the vegetable mix back to your mixing bowl and mash again, this time ensuring the mix is smooth enough to shape into patties. Add the bread crumbs and plain flour and stir through until incorporated.

Shape four patties and place on a baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes. turning once.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Do you have a favourite burger recipe?

15 comments:

  1. These look delicious, and I love the clean, fresh Thai flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely - the vinegar craving is interesting as there is that popular belief that pregnant women crave pickles which are very vinegary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Maybe I fulfilled the stereotype in the final month :-)

      Delete
  3. You clearly have delicious burger tastes. Sounds like it'd be a perfect thing to cook double and store in the freezer as well when you make it next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done that this time - but the freezer was full from me stocking up on things! Next time it will definitely be worth doing.

      Delete
  4. That's so funny! I have a Thai veggie burger coming out next week on my blog too - great minds think alike!

    Your burger sounds amazing. For some reason I'm always craving vinegar. Those chips look good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new addition to the family! The thai burgers look great - just my kind of thing. I make something similar with tofu, but I'm looking forward to trying them with butter beans now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds super delicious! I crave vinegar a lot too... I've never heard it as a pregnancy craving before. I love putting vinegar on my french fries and I really like vinegar flavoured chips =)
    This burger sounds so good!!!! I avoid using my food processor for making burgers because I don't feel like washing it after haha ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I was just having a vinegar moment :D And that is exactly the reason I avoid my food processor for burgers!

      Delete
  7. My sister in laws had cravings for pickles, so I can see what you mean. Love the flavours in this burger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love Thai flavours and we often make Thai chicken burgers, so I will have to try a bean version soon.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).