Friday, August 5, 2016

Lemon raisin drop scones with caramelised apple pieces

To my amazement, I think it has been 18 months since my last drop scone or pikelet recipe. Given I have 10 prior recipes of that type on Bite-Sized Thoughts, that is a long time to go without a new one (although I did post a pancake recipe in January). Clearly I need to make up for lost time!


After 18 months, some of you may not be familiar with what drop scones or pikelets actually are. I use the terms fairly interchangeably now, although there are probably some technical differences if you study food history closely. Basically, pikelets are an Australian term for small fluffy pancakes and drop scones are the British equivalent. Both may also be called Scotch pancakes.

Whatever term you use, drop scones and pikelets are a delicious treat and they are one of my favourite things to make. I am terrible at flipping full-sized pancakes and can't even contemplate crepes, but the small size and thick texture of drop scones make them a much easier affair.

This particular recipe was inspired by the small lemon-raisin pancakes that I often see at supermarkets. The caramelised apple pieces add a nice touch and I recommend the combination for a decadent breakfast or brunch. However, you could obviously pair the drop scones with other fruit or have them plain if you prefer.


I caramelised the apple simply, by coating it in a small amount of the leftover drop scone batter (whatever you would usually have left in the mixing bowl if not going to great efforts to scoop it out fully), along with a teaspoon of liquid syrup (I used Sweet Freedom low GI syrup but maple syrup would be an alternative). The apple only needs a small amount of cooking time to soften and develop a sweet-crisp edge.

Lemon raisin drop scones with caramelised apple
Delicious vegan drop scones with bright lemon flavours and sweet raisins throughout, perfectly complemented by caramelised apple on the side

Makes 8 small drop scones / pancakes - enough for a hearty breakfast or brunch for 1, a smaller breakfast for 2, or snacking for up to 4

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1/2 cup (70g) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup lemon juice (equivalent to the juice of 1 medium lemon)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
2-1/2 tbsp raisins
1 small apple, chopped
1 tsp + 1-2 tsp maple syrup or equivalent sweetener of choice (I used Sweet Freedom's low GI syrup)

Spray oil or a drizzle of oil, as needed for cooking

Method
Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice, almond milk and raisins in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. If time permits, allow to stand for 15-30 minutes (this will make the drop scones slightly fluffier but isn't essential).

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed. When the pan is hot, drop heaped dessertspoons of batter into the pan. If using a standard sized frying pan, you should be able to cook 4 drop scones at a time.

Allow the drop scones to cook for 3 or so minutes, until bubbles start to appear on the surface, then flip and cook for a further 3 minutes.

Don't fully scrape your mixing bowl out at the end but retain a teaspoon or two of batter for coating the apple pieces.

When the drop scones have cooked, add your apple pieces to the mixing bowl and coat with whatever batter remains. Add to the hot pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Drizzle a teaspoon of maple syrup or equivalent syrup over the apple pieces, and then stir regularly for 2 or so minutes until the apple is golden.

Serve the drop scones with the hot apple pieces and additional syrup as desired.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you a fan of drop scones or pikelets?

12 comments:

  1. I got to say snap as I will be posting a fluffy pancake tomorrow. I am with you as I am terrible with making larger pancakes too as flipping them has never come easy, but small ones I do adore and these are so appealing that they are making my mouth water. would be fab with ice-cream too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to your recipe Shaheen - and am glad I'm not the only one who can't flip large pancakes!

      Delete
  2. I wish I was more familiar with drop scones to compare them to pikelets - I find that pikelets have a different firmer texture to regular fluffy pancakes but I am with you in finding them delightful and a great snack. My pancakes are always small too which is how my mum always made them. I love the sound of the caramelised apple on the side - wondering if I can get myself organised to have this for brekky tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have only had drop scones I've made myself so would love to come across some vegan ones out and about so I can compare mine with someone else's! You're right, pikelets (and drop scones) aren't quite the same as small fluffy pancakes but have a certain texture all of their own.

      Delete
  3. I can't remember the last time I had drop scones, but I know it's definitely be too long! I love the addition of apple in the pancakes too. I'm a bit of a raisin dodger, but I'm always won over to their cause when they appear in sweets and cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to pass any of your unwanted raisins my way :-) I have to make conscious efforts to limit myself with dried fruit and raisins are no exception!

      Delete
  4. Yummo - these pikelets look delish. I do love a pikelet served warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I often made little pikelets out of leftover sourdough starter for the kids, but it's rare that I get any myself as by the time I'm done cooking them they've snacked on the lot! I do like the inclusion of apple, and how clever to use the leftover batter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously you need to make more, and quarantine yourself some :D

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of drop scones. They are so cute. And I have never had carmelized apple - it sounds amazeballs.
    Pikelets is the cutest word ever, I think I'll start using that now ;)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).