Thursday, June 23, 2016

Spiced satay pineapple beans in sweet potato

With our weekly pizza making and love of tinned pineapple on pizza, we regularly have leftover pineapple in the fridge. It can end up in smoothies, on cereal, in baking, or just eaten plain. Occasionally it ends up in stir fries. Last week, it inspired this meal.


This is one of those simple dishes that barely constitutes a recipe. You can make it with store cupboard staples (presuming your staples are like mine and include tinned beans, pineapple, peanut butter and spices) and it takes all of 5 minutes to throw together. The bean mix could top a regular jacket potato instead of sweet potato, or be paired with rice or couscous or quinoa. It does work brilliantly with sweet potato though.

I served this with asparagus which is in season here at the moment. Asparagus isn't my favourite vegetable, but I do take pleasure in eating it in season when the flavours are at their peak.


Spiced satay pineapple beans in sweet potato
An easy mid-week meal that can also be served with regular potato, rice, couscous or quinoa
Serves 2

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1-1/2 cups canelloni beans or other white beans of choice
1/2 cup tinned pineapple pieces
1-1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp dried paprika
1 tsp dried chilli (or to taste)
1 cup spinach leaves

One cooked medium sweet potato per person, or grain base of choice

Extra vegetables of choice, to serve

Method
Combine the beans, pineapple, peanut butter, spices and spinach in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until hot through.

Serve atop the sweet potato or your base of choice, with a side of vegetables as desired.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What easy meals are you enjoying this week?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kari, that sounds like a great way to make a very nutritious dinner. Great idea ton put them together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pineapple and beans aren't staples for me but this dish sure sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a really bad satay addiction. I'm quite unable to keep a jar or leftover sauce at home, because I just end up eating it off a spoon, on toast etc. I love that I have now a new way to eat it, with sweet potato accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand your addiction :D

      Delete
  4. I love a meal that is thrown together quickly. And what a fun & unique way to make a "loaded" potato. My hubby LOVES pineapple so I'm continuously on the look out for new ways to prepare it. I'm bookmarking this for our meal plan next week =)
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays, Kari! I'm pinning & sharing. I hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).