Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Carrot cake ice cream (the simple version)

In January 2014, I shared a recipe for carrot cake pudding or ice cream. I still love that recipe and highly recommend it to you. It features carrots (of course!), frozen banana and canned coconut milk, as well as optional but recommended maple syrup, vanilla, spices and desiccated coconut.


Today's recipe is similar but slightly streamlined. It's entirely appropriate for breakfast and, if you're like me, you'll always have the ingredients on hand (I don't always have coconut milk). Adding raisins to the carrots and bananas gave plenty of sweetness without extra syrup, and really boosted the carrot cake profile. Basically, I love this version too. I wanted to share it with you and record it for my future reference!


Carrot cake ice cream (the simple version)
A delicious, vegan, low-fat blend that is suitable for breakfast, snacking or dessert
Serves 1

Food processor required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 large carrot, grated
1 large banana, frozen
1 tsp vanilla essence
Few tablespoons of almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
Approximately 2 tsp raisins or sultanas

Method
Combined the grated carrot and frozen banana in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally as needed. Add the vanilla and then the milk a tablespoon at a time to give your desired consistency. Stir the raisins/sultanas through before serving.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Have you re-created / varied any much loved recipes lately?

18 comments:

  1. It is always fun to see how recipes evolve on blogs - the only problem is that now you have two recipes you have the tyranny of choice when it comes to making carrot ice cream :-) I would like to try these sort of recipes in my blender but when I tried a banana ice cream no one else in the house liked it and my blender heats up so I worry that it would melt the ice cream too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would embrace no one else liking the banana ice cream and happily get through it solo :-) The blender sounds like more of a challenge though - I guess if you made and ate it quickly it would cope but it would be a shame to have your ice cream melt before you get to it!

      Delete
  2. Frozen bananas are the best thing to use to make healthier ice cream. I love your carrot cake twist on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour is fantastic! I agree with Johanna, I love how some recipes evolve. I've made a vegetarian version of Carrot Cake ice-cream and it was delicious, i have a carrot halwa mousse pudding made in a blender that could be tinkered with to make carrot ice-cream, http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/raw-carrot-halwa-mousse-pudding.html
    but like Johanna, some of my family and frients were overly keen on frozen banana ice-cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your halwa mousse look fantastic - thanks for that idea :-)

      Delete
  4. OMG!
    I really need this in my life!
    What a fabulous recipe,
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Just yum! And so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Kari what a great idea and so healthy too. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made lots of things with carrots before but never ice cream. I didn't know it would be so simple to make. This looks like such a wonderful dessert but healthy too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots are definitely one of the more versatile vegetables!

      Delete
  8. Carrot Cake Ice Cream?! Oh my word, Kari:) I'd be willing to dive it just to have a little taste. I sure do love carrot cake and the thought of it as an ice cream just sounds so darn yummy!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Kari...Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I normally just make chocolate ice cream. My husband would really like this and appreciate a change ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I'm pinning & sharing!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).