Thursday, June 16, 2016

Vegan pizza with tahini, mint, sriracha and kale

I've mentioned previously that we regularly make pizza for dinner. However, I've never actually shared a full savoury pizza recipe (I have shared a dessert one). There are two main reasons for this. One is that I use a base recipe only loosely adapted from Kate's on No Meat and Three Veg, and it didn't seem necessary or appropriate to re-post it. The other is that I generally use the same toppings, and they aren't that exciting: tomato paste, dried oregano, spinach or kale leaves, pepper, tomatoes and pineapple. Sometimes I use hummus instead of tomato paste, and sometimes I add nutritional yeast. So far, so standard.


This pizza was a bit more adventurous and so I am taking the opportunity to share the recipe with you. To be honest, even as I made it I wasn't confident that it would work out. I was sure about the tahini, and even the sriracha, but mint on a pizza? It wasn't something I'd come across and I was prepared to regret my whim to use it. Fortunately, the combination was delicious and I can now attest that mint on pizza is excellent! I will definitely be adding these toppings to my pizza rotation.

I tend to make pizza base in a quantity that gives 4 individual pizzas. Mr Bite and I each have one for dinner, and then another slightly smaller one for lunch the next day. We have his and hers toppings (albeit with lots of overlap) and I am sure many households would do the same. Thus, I list the pizza base ingredients to make a quantity of 4 bases, but then give the toppings for this particular recipe with a guide to what you need per pizza. Whilst the tahini, mint and srirarcha components are essential for this version, feel free to vary the vegetable toppings to suit what you have to hand.


Vegan pizza with tahini, mint, srirarcha and kale
A delicious, slightly different pizza option
Vegan and can be gluten free (use GF flour)
Makes 4 pizzas

Allow approximately 45-60 minutes of advance preparation time to make the dough

Author: Bite-sized thoughts; pizza base adapted from No Meat and Three Veg


Ingredients
For the base (makes 4 individual pizzas) -
1-1/2 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup (63ml) + 1/4 cup (63ml) warm water, divided
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups plain flour, or 1 cup plain + 1 cup spelt flours
1/4 tsp salt

To top -
Tomato paste, approximately 1 tbsp per pizza
Nutritional yeast, approximately 1 tsp per pizza
Kale leaves, approximately 1/2 cup per pizza
Red or yellow pepper, sliced, approximately 1/4 pepper per pizza
Cherry tomatoes, sliced, approximately 4 tomatoes per pizza
Tinned pineapple pieces, approximately 8 pieces per pizza
Mint leaves, approximately 6 leaves per pizza
Tahini, approximately 1 tsp per pizza
Sriracha, to taste

Method
For the base -
Combine the yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water in a cup or small jug and set aside for 15 or so minutes. The mix will froth up.

After the yeast has stood, add the oil to the yeast mixture. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and pour the yeast mix over the top, along with the additional 1/4 cup warm water. Stir with a wooden spoon and then knead the mix together using your hands. Add a tablespoon or so more of water if needed, to achieve a thick dough-like consistency. 

Cover the dough, in your mixing bowl, with a tea towel and set somewhere warm to rise for approximately 45 minutes (it will cope if you cut this to 30 minutes, but 45 minutes is better).

While the dough is rising, heat your oven to 160'C and prepare baking trays (you made need to cook your pizzas in batches of two, depending on the size of your oven).

When the dough has risen, punch it down and knead for a minute or so. Divide into four balls. Roll each out (I roll mine on non-stick baking paper sprayed with oil) to 1-2 cm thickness.

To top -
Spread each pizza base with tomato paste and sprinkle over the nutritional yeast. Add the kale leaves, then the pepper, tomato and pineapple, then the mint leaves. Drizzle over the tahini and srirarcha.

Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until the base is golden and firm.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What are your favourite pizza toppings?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the recipe you use for the base regularly. I have adapted a quick recipe to use up sourdough starter and use that one regularly. I love your toppings but I just can't imagine how tahini, sriracha and mint taste - though we often have mint in the garden so I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about it being hard to imagine - thus my slight concern when trying it out! - but they somehow come together. I could imagine tahini / sriracha and mint / sriracha so it's those mixes but made better!

      Delete
  2. This pizza sounds delicious and would be a great way to use up any veges you had around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique flavour combo. I definitely wouldn't have thought of putting mint on my pizza, but it actually sounds good! Tahini and mint are a good combo and I like the sound of the tomato paste and nooch too.
    Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this creative pizza on over at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing. Have a great week =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).