Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Vegan Life Magazine, issue 14 (April 2016)

I receive complimentary digital copies of Vegan Life, which allows me to post reviews with screenshots included. My reflections on the magazine are entirely my own.


This month's edition of Vegan Life magazine is absolutely packed with beautiful images, delicious-sounding vegan dishes and interesting stories. The raspberry and rose tartlets on the cover were particularly appealing, served as they were with pistachio frangipane. Aren't they beautiful?



Equally appealing was the full-page ad of vegan chocolate Easter items! If you need inspiration for Easter, look below...


I was really interested to read on the 'Vegan News' page that pineapple is now being used to make leather-look material. Isn't that clever? I would love to see an example of the leather-look items.

After reading about Johanna's experience with a vegan butcher in Edinburgh, it was timely to read a piece on vegan butchery options in San Francisco. I confess the idea of a 'vegan butcher' is odd to me but I do like the sound of pineapple teriyaki cracker pepper 'turkey', which is one of the options mentioned here.



A round-up of new vegan items had me bemused but interested by vegan eggs, which seem to look like the real thing. I'm more drawn to the various chocolate products mentioned, but am sure there will be people pleased to know a full egg substitute is available.


On The Accidental Vegan page, my heart skipped a beat when I saw images of lemon meringue pie and bakewell tarts and a reference to Marks and Spencer. Alas, M&S are not making vegan pies or tarts but they do have some new sweets in those flavours, and the sweets are vegan friendly. I am very partial to bakewell tarts and whilst I've made vegan versions myself, I may have to try the sweets out.

On a more serious note, I welcomed an article on how what we eat can help (or hinder) anxiety. Anxiety is more complex than just diet, but there is a lot of research on how our eating can influence our mental as well as physical health. At the most basic level, I think many of us will recognise that too much sugar or caffeine does not aid in feeling relaxed. This article touched on the research suggesting that zinc (found in tofu, legumes and nuts), magnesium (found in leafy greens), gut-friendly foods (like fermented vegetables and miso), omega-3 fats (from seeds and nuts), vitamin D (from sunshine) and camomile tea are helpful for anxiety management,


Have you enjoyed any food trivia lately? And do you notice a link between your diet and your mood?

14 comments:

  1. I haven't picked up a copy of the mag as of yet, I was excited of its launch. First I couldn't find it where I lived and then eventually the town where I work WHSmith started stocking it, I flicked through ad was a tad disappointed as like other mags, its was utilising recipes from newly published cookbooks and I am bored of that, as I could buy or borrow the cookbooks from the library. I was looking for some originality. But you have showcased some interesting subjects that I'd like to read, so I will pick up this edition of the mag. thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this edition appeals. I hadn't noticed a trend towards sharing recipes from cookbooks - I wonder if it was specific to the magazine you browsed, but then again, I don't tend to borrow cookbooks from the library so I may also not have noticed.

      Delete
  2. Vegan butchery is an interesting idea - there is a vegan butcher in sydney who is crowdfunding to stay open so I guess there is still not a huge demand. I noticed Mackies haggis crisps are one of the accidentally vegan products - I tried these recently and was surprised they tasted quite meaty. And those tartlets on the cover are really beautiful. Though I was surprised I have not seen the magazine in the uk though I found a copy once in Australia. I guess I haven't been browsing magazines much on our trip here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen the magazine most often in Sainsburys - oddly I don't think I've ever noticed it in WH Smith but then I don't often look at magazines. Did you like the crisps?!

      Delete
  3. The rose and raspberry tarts look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this magazine Kari...I do get a Vegetarian Magazine in the mail but to tell you the truth, I'm not happy with it. I may need to see if I can find this magazine. It looks promising.

    Thanks again for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it appeals Louise, and hope you can find it near you if you do look for it :-)

      Delete
  5. I look forward to your review of this magazine. It's always really informative and I know straight away whether I'm going to have to go out and get myself a copy. I love those tarts :)
    Thanks for sharing
    Gourmet Getaways
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I'm so glad the reviews are of use!

      Delete
  6. This magazine looks fab. And a digital copy sounds great, I never bother with the paper kind anymore.
    "bemused but interested by vegan eggs" I have tried the eggs! The container is just shaped like that, on the inside, it's just a powder substance in a bag - nothing that looks like real eggs. They are just ok.
    And The Butcher's Son in Berkeley (the article says San Fransisco, which is close by) is on my to-try list. It's only about an hour from me and I tried some of their food at a pop up once and it was amazing!
    Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see the vegan life magazine because there are several and important things that are so important to learn about the vegan life story
    http://alltopreviews.com

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).