Saturday, March 12, 2016

Raw vegan lime pots for 5 years of blogging

Mr Bite and I have just returned from 4 nights in the Forest of Dean, staying in a cabin in the woods and enjoying a perfect mix of outdoor walks, indoor reading, beautiful scenery, and hot tub soaking. It was a gorgeous week and I look forward to sharing photos soon.


For now, though, I am sharing these raw lime desserts in honour of Bite-Sized Thoughts turning 5. I am not entirely sure how I got to 5 years of blogging, but remain grateful to have it in my life. That gratitude is about having a forum to summarise my recipes and reflect on my experiences, but also the broader blogging community and the inspiration I get from others' sites.

At the same time, after 5 years, I think it is understandable that my blogging frequency has slowed down a little. I posted 142 times in 2015, compared to around 180 posts in each of 2012, 2013 and 2014. This year I have been even more open-minded about how often I post. For the time being, that feels right.

I picked this recipe to honour the 5 year mark because (i) it is in keeping with my current avocado obsession (and shows I am still true to my avocado dessert origins), (ii) many of you commented in my last post that you are also avocado fans, and (iii) raw desserts are something of a feature in my early anniversary posts (raw vegan cheesecake in 2012 and raw sushi and raw chocolates in 2013). Avocados can be expensive so this is a good option when they are in season, or if you have some that are a little too ripe for eating plain.

Before I share this recipe, I wanted to recap the most popular recipes from the last year. The top 10 are...



Raw vegan lime pots
An easy, delicious dessert in which avocado is a star player but can't be tasted
Makes 4 small pots or 2 more substantial desserts
Vegan, gluten free and raw

Food processor or high-speed blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
For the base
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup nuts of choice (I used a mix of cashews and almonds)

For the lime mix
2 small avocados (mine weighed 220g combine with skin and stones)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
Zest and juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup agave syrup, rice malt syrup or maple syrup

Desiccated coconut, extra, for sprinkling (optional)

Method
To make the bases for the desserts, process the 1/4 cup coconut and nuts until the texture of breadcrumbs. Press into the bottom of small glasses or parfait dishes.

To make the lime mix, process all remaining ingredients until smooth (although there will still be slight texture from the coconut). Spoon over the prepared bases.

Can be served immediately, but best after 2 or more hours in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with extra coconut at the time of serving if desired.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What do you value most about blogging?

14 comments:

  1. congrats on 5 years - sounds like a lovely recipe - I love the colour (one of the joys of avocadoes) - and I am happy you are still hanging in there with your blog - good luck with keeping going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 5 years, Kari! I know I don't comment as much anymore but I still read and love your posts and I'm grateful you're part of the blogosphere. And the lime desserts look wonderful. it's hard to choose a favorite part of blogging but I guess it would be that it pushes me to always try to improve my cooking and to be disciplined in the kitchen. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 5 years of blogging. Glad you still enjoy it and see a place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy fifth anniversary! I'm glad the blog's still here, whatever frequency you prefer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Bloggy Anniversary and look forward to the next five. I love the greenness of your Vegan Lime Pot - but am off to check the Raspberry and Rose mousse...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blog-versary! Those lime pots look a tasty way to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! These look super delicious. I LOVE avocado desserts. And the combination with lime & coconut is especially delicious.
    "That gratitude is about having a forum to summarise my recipes and reflect on my experiences, but also the broader blogging community and the inspiration I get from others' sites."
    Yes! I know how you feel.
    Happy blogiversary! I'm so glad you started and continue to blog Kari =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kimmy! I'm glad you feel the same about blogging :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).