Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter eats and spring scenes

Happy Easter, and if you live where Easter brings a 4-day weekend, happy long weekend. I hope you are enjoying it!


One of the lovely things about moving to the UK is that Easter now falls in spring, rather than in autumn as it does in Australia. I love autumn but now appreciate the spring-Easter connection. Plus, it is a beautiful time of year to have some bonus days off work. As shown above and below, our garden is starting to feature spring flowers and we are now enjoying longer and lighter days.

 


Friday (Good Friday) was a particularly glorious day, with sunny skies raising the temperature to a balmy 15'C. We took advantage of the weather by walking 7 or so miles across Kent countryside.


Our walk went by a good number of sheep as well as some friendly horses, one of which was almost too friendly...I think it was hoping for food.


We didn't have any food for sharing with horses, but did carry an easy picnic lunch of rolls filled with spinach, roast peppers and hummus. Mine was on a generously seeded roll and eating it on a sunlit log, beautiful views in all directions, was delightful.


The weather since Friday has been greyer and rainer, so I am glad we made the most of the outdoors when we could.

The Easter weekend is, of course, also a time for chocolate. I have a dairy free dark chocolate egg with gold decoration from Tesco, and some dark chocolate cherry liquor filled mini eggs from Lidl. Mr Bite carefully selected an impressive Thornton's egg and has his usual dose of Cadbury creme eggs. In my usual style, I also made sure he had some mini eggs to gather from around the house, including a selection that briefly made a pleasing wall frieze along our high dado rail (middle below).


In addition to store-bought chocolate I have some homemade creations that I will share in due course. I also have plans for pot pies for dinner and apple pie for dessert. It is a weekend for time in the kitchen!


What are you up to this Easter weekend?

12 comments:

  1. The flowers are gorgeous - I LOVE your snail pot! It's so cute =)
    I look forward to your sharing your homemade creations. Your storebought ones look quite tasty though!
    That's so cute that you hid treats around the house. I love that. I should have done that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy :-) I do love an Easter egg hunt and don't think the novelty wears off beyond childhood!

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous photos. I hope you and Mr Bite had a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely photos. Hope the bunny was kind to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the flowers that are popping up everywhere. It's making everything look so much prettier!
    Sadly I didn't get any actual eggs this year, but I did get a lot of chocolate :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably the more important thing ;) And I love the flowers too!

      Delete
  5. Happy easter kari - I made an easter cake of sorts that I will share soon - you sound like you had fun. I love seeing your daffodils - I have been amazed at how many daffodils I see around Edinburgh and can't remember seeing so many when I lived there but it does seem very british - though maybe this year I will notice more in spring in melbourne. Did you have daffodils in Perth or do they grow better in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daffodils in Perth were extremely rare and treated as precious commodities. It has been startling seeing them grow like weeds over here!

      Delete
  6. So true, Good Friday brought us glorious sunshine. I was in Essex to my MIL. We avoided Easter chocolates, to be honest - there have been so many cakes on blogosphere with mini eggs that it mad my tummy turn, so I am glad I did not indulge at all. Wales is covered in daffodils this time of the year, and make me happy that its spring and time to turn thoughts to gardening. Adore your snail pot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly loved this Easter stuff! Thanks a lot for sharing these photos here. We hosted an Easter family party at one of best party venues in Chicago. It was a great party and had a photo booth too. All had fun and enjoyed fully!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).