Sunday, March 20, 2016

Glazed tofu with red wine vinegar and giant couscous

There are certain ingredients that I always have on hand, or miss dreadfully if I run out. This dish features three of them: red wine vinegar, maple syrup and dried paprika. With dried coriander added to the mix, they made a delicious marinade for this tofu and giant couscous dish.


I always find it satisfying to find a new combination of flavours from staple ingredients. 'New' is of course a loose term, because I have made similar dishes before and no doubt others have combined these flavours in the same or similar ways. Nonetheless, it is rewarding to stand in the kitchen, ponder what to cook, and have your whim-based decisions work out.

This is an easy dish and could also be made with legumes in place of the tofu, or a different grain instead of couscous. It keeps well for leftover lunches and is enjoyable hot or cold.



Glazed tofu with red wine vinegar and giant couscous
Hot or cold, lunch or dinner - this is an easy and satisfying meal
Serves 2
Vegan and low in fat

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
350g firm tofu, pressed and cut into chunks
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp dried paprika
Pinch of salt
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 to 1-1/2 cups cooked giant couscous
20 or so cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Method
Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the tofu and allow to saute for approximately 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the red wine vinegar, maple syrup, coriander, paprika and salt. Pour over the tofu and allow to cook over medium heat for a further 5 or so minutes, turning the tofu occasionally. Add the chopped pepper to the pan and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes.

Mix the tofu and giant couscous together and serve topped with cherry tomatoes.


Does red wine vinegar make your staple list? I always have apple cider vinegar too!

11 comments:

  1. smoked paprika and maple syrup are musts as is tofu. I feel the need for red wine vinegar but don't use it as much as I think I should - often just use apple cider vinegar which is my must have vinegar. looks like a lovely meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna...I love apple cider vinegar too but tend to pair it with different spices, although am sure I could branch out and try paprika with it as well!

      Delete
  2. I have only just started cooking with tofu, so I am always looking for new ways to use it. I love the addition of maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have a whole world of tofu recipes to discover :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds delish - great flavours in the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never prepared tofu like this but it sounds pretty great! I love the combo of the vinegar with the maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love giant cous cous - something about the squidginess in your teeth is really fun. Add tofu and veggies, and I'm very sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the squidginess - somehow it is very satisfying!

      Delete
  6. "I always find it satisfying to find a new combination of flavours from staple ingredients." I like when this happens too =)
    This sounds very delicious! I like how it sounds like it would make a very good leftover lunch the next day =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).