Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Slightly creamy lentil potato curry

Later this week I will be sharing a dessert recipe featuring coconut cream. As many of you know, the solid half of a tin of coconut cream is perfect for making vegan and raw desserts. But what does one do with the remaining half of the tin, the coconut liquid? One option is to make this curry.

This is a full-flavoured, stand-alone dish that could be served with sides (rice, naan bread, chutney...) but doesn't need to be. It has lots of vegetables, a decent dose of various spices, and just a hint of creamy flavour. To achieve this, I used the half tin of coconut liquid as well as a dessertspoon of actual coconut cream. Given I don't like creamy curries, this gave a perfect result for me. Mr Bite also liked the dish, and as he isn't a huge lentil fan, I take that as a sign of success.

I had intended to use fresh ginger in this, but when it came to it my 'fresh' ginger was looking far from fresh and had to be binned (I'm not averse to cutting off a mouldy edge of ginger, but my piece was beyond saving!). I used dried ginger instead, which worked fine, but feel free to revert to the fresh option if you have it to hand.


Slightly creamy lentil potato curry
Serves 4
Vegan

Allow time to pre-soak your lentils if cooking from scratch

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
1 cup brown or red lentils, soaked in water for at least 4 hours, OR 1 tin of lentils
2 large, 3-4 medium or 8-10 baby potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp dried ground ginger
1 tsp dried ground paprika
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp dried ground coriander
2 carrots, chopped
1 tin (375g) diced tomatoes
Liquid half of a tin of coconut cream (or use coconut water) plus 1 dessertspoon solid coconut cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1 - 2 cups spinach leaves

Method
If using dry lentils, drain and rinse before cooking in simmering water for 20 or so minutes, until just tender. Set aside. 

In a large saucepan, bring water to simmering point and add your potato pieces. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until just tender. Set aside.

In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil and saute your onion on medium-high until starting to brown, 3 - 5 minutes. Add the spices (garam masala, ginger, paprika, chilli, coriander) and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook the onion for a further 5 or so minutes. 

Add the carrot, tomatoes, coconut liquid, coconut cream and lemon juice to the pan. Allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, then add the cooked lentils and potatoes and cook over low heat for a further 20 or so minutes. Add the spinach leaves at the end and cook until just wilted down.

Serve plain, or with rice, naan bread and/or chutney if desired.

What is your favourite way to use coconut cream / liquid?

11 comments:

  1. Yum. This sounds delicious Kari. I'm filing it away for when real Autumn starts (not this fake overly warm season we're getting now) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the fake warm Autumns of Australia ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah what a fab way to use up the coconut water, I have wasted it in the past. I love a good lentil curry, my husband is not keen on lentils either, esp. red lentils - but he's eat this happily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious - I am curious about what you used the rest of the cream for - is it an upcoming post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of curry! Potato and coconut milk are two of my favourite things to add to a curry at the moment and I have a similar recipe on my blog today too. Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - this looks fresh and tasty. Curries are great for the cooler weather we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually save my leftover coconut liquid in smoothies - making a curry is a great idea!
    I love a good curry, I'm not a fan of much cream either, so this sounds good. I LOVE lentils and think this sounds really delicious =)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).