Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Vegan lasagne with aubergines and hummous

In a comment on my recent hummous post, Lisa of I'll Be There With a Fork mentioned using layers of hummous in lasagna type dishes. I was completely smitten with the idea and have been harbouring vegan lasagna dreams since.


Due to my general dislike of cheese, I've never really veganised savoury cheese dishes or sought them out in restaurants. As such, I haven't eaten lasagna for years. It was a novelty to try this version with pasta sheets, vegetables and hummous. I found it utterly delicious and it met Mr Bite's standards too. Given he likes cheesey pasta, I think that's a good sign.



A bonus of this dish is its simple ingredient list and low cost. I don't talk much about meal prices, but I'm sure all of us appreciate a good meal that is also cheap. I used homebrand lasagna sheets and local market vegetables, and worked out this cost about 75p ($1.50) per serve. That was using store bought hummus, so it would be even cheaper if using homemade.

Mr Bite's fork sculpture...he wanted it featured!

As with most lasagna dishes, there is scope for variation in the vegetables and seasonings you use. I am listing my version below, but next time would probably use less aubergine (eggplant) and add in courgette (zucchini) if available. One thing is certain - there will definitely be a next time. I highly recommend you join me!

Vegan lasagna with aubergines and hummous
A simple, delicious meal for four
Vegan

Author: Inspiration from a comment from Lisa of I'll Be There With a Fork


Ingredients
150g lasagna sheets
1 tin (425g) crushed tomatoes
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup spinach leaves
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Handful fresh basil leaves (or substitute dried)
2 tsp dried oregano
2 large aubergine, thinly sliced (or 1 aubergine and 1 courgette)
2/3 cup hummous
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

Method
Preheat your oven to 175'C (350'F).

Mentally (or actually) divide all ingredients except the nutritional yeast into thirds, as you will create three layers of ingredients.

Take a medium round or square casserole dish and line the bottom with approximately one-third of your lasagna sheets (break them to fit if needed). Spoon over approximately one-third of the crushed tomato mixture then layer over one-third of the carrots, pepper, spinach, onion, garlic, basil and oregano. Top these ingredients with one-third of the aubergine slices and use one-third of the hummous to coat the top of the aubergine evenly.

Repeat with another layer of lasagna, tomato, vegetables, spices, aubergine and hummous, again using one-third of the ingredients.

For the final layer, add the chopped tomatoes, carrot, pepper, onion, garlic, basil and oregano first, before finishing with a top layer of lasagna sheets, aubergine and hummous.

Sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top of the dish and then bake, covered, for 50 minutes. Reduce heat slightly and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes uncovered.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Have you tried hummous in lasagna? Or do you have any other lasagna twists you like?

17 comments:

  1. Kari it looks amazing! I'm so glad it worked out and even better that it met Mr Bite's approval :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I saw lisa's comment too and was interested in the idea so am pleased to see it here - must try it some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reeeeeeally like lasagne, and for some reason, I just don't think to make it because making all the sauces feels like too much hassle. Clearly I've been missing out! I think the aubergine and nooch mix sounds delicious and saves a bunch of time. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely low hassle :-) Most of my dishes tend to be!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I LOVE the idea of hummus as a lasagna "sauce"! Sounds really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bargain! Incredible that this could be made for such a low cost. I've never thought of substituting cheese sauce for hummus! But the hummus sure would go well with the vegetables. I loved your comment on my post! Yes, it doesn't matter whether I'm supervising or not supervising, there's always strife! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make your life challenging!!

      I'm glad you like the look of this :-)

      Delete
  6. This looks and sounds delish!! Who knew that hummus would work in place of cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this idea Kari! I eat a LOT of hummus and my fridge looks empty if there isn't a batch in there. But crudités and crackers/pita can get old pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it appeals Emma! I know, I always like new ways to eat hummous :-)

      Delete
  8. This sounds utterly delicious. I LOVE lasagna and I love how this is filled with awesome veggies =) I used to like cheese in my pre-vegan days and do enjoy the veganized version, but I really like the sound of trying out hummous. So unique, but would lend such a lovely flavour, especially with the eggplant.
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm pinning this lasagna.
    Are you on Bloglovin' Kari? I wanted to follow your blog, but couldn't find it on that blogging platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim!

      I just had to check Bloglovin as I don't use it - I do seem to be on there if you search for bite-sized thoughts. They list the link as http://bite-sized-thoughts.blogspot.com/ instead of my current web url which might interfere with finding me if you search using the full web address :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).