Sunday, June 7, 2015

Breakfast bread and berry pudding

If you're like me, your freezer contains bread odds and ends: the last few pieces of a loaf that was about to go stale, or perhaps the last few pieces of multiple loaves that were about to go stale. They manage to accumulate over time, especially if you aren't a big bread eater at lunch time.


This recipe is a simple way to turn frozen or stale bread (or even fresh bread) into something far more exciting than toast. It combines the classic desserts of bread and butter pudding and summer (berry) pudding, but also simplifies the ingredients and makes the outcome suitable for breakfast. Basically, we're talking bread, milk and berries - but fancied up.



I am still on a massive berry kick, and fresh blackberries worked beautifully in this. However, you don't need fresh berries or even summer weather. I've been enjoying this cold, but the pudding could also be served hot from the oven (or re-heated) to provide a warming start to the day. As the berries are cooked, frozen varieties will work fine too.

I added some custard powder and vanilla to my mix, because I love both ingredients, but they are entirely optional. Similarly, whilst I didn't sweeten this beyond using sweetened milk, you could add sugar or liquid sweetener if you wanted to. With sweetener and a side of ice cream, this could also move from breakfast to dessert without any trouble.


Breakfast bread and berry pudding
A simplified, breakfast-suitable twist on bread and butter pudding and summer pudding
Vegan and low fat; can be gluten free if using gluten free bread
Serves 3

Allow at least 1 hour and up to overnight for soaking time

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
6 slices bread of choice, fresh, stale or frozen
1-1/2 cups berries of choice, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup + 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used sweetened hazelnut milk)
1 tbsp custard powder, optional
1 tsp vanilla, optional

Sweetener, optional, to taste

Method
Line a small cake tin (I used a heart tin, but any shape is fine) with non-stick paper. Arrange the bread over the bottom and sides, tearing into smaller pieces to fit the sides and fill all gaps. Arrange the berries evenly over the bread. 

Combine 1/2 cup milk with the custard powder and vanilla, if using, and then pour over the bread and berry mix. Allow to stand in the fridge for at least 1 hour but up to 8 hours.

After standing, heat your oven to 175'C (350'F). Add the additional 1/2 cup of milk to the pudding and then bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the bread edges are golden and the berry centre looks set. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Serve warm or cold. Will keep, covered, in the fridge for up to several days. 

What are you enjoying for breakfast this week?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I might even try it with raisin bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great way to start the day - I wouldn't mind it at room temperature but chilled might not be my thing. I could imagine it would be great warm on a winter morning. And I think a spoonful of nut butter would be very nice in the milk mixture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nut butter on a warmed bowl would be just lovely :-)

      Delete
  3. Yum! This sounds like a lovely tasty way to wake up. I've got bread ends aplenty so this might be a porridge alternative one morning. I wonder if chai spices in the milk would be nice? Might have to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting so many great ideas from these comments! Chai spices would be delicious.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness..I didn't realize how long I've gone without bread until I read this. For once, I don't have any frozen bread on hand gasp! We're moving soon so I'm trying to clean out my pantry, but I'll def have to come back to this recipe ;). I've really been enjoying warm bkfasts this morning so I appreciate your suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving makes pantry and freezer supplies so hard - I hope the process goes well for you and you can stock up your new kitchen soon :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum! I enjoy bread pudding and I like that yours is not laden with butter and cream like the traditional offering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as decadent, but it does make it easy to justify in the morning ;)

      Delete
  6. Even though our summer is over, I've been buying berries - they're frozen but they're still good and they're organic so I'm happy about that too. I think this is a lovely breakfast and love the touch of custard powder xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love frozen berries too - they are such a helpful item to have, especially in the winter months when fruit gets less interesting.

      Delete
  7. Another big berry fan here, but I'm in the process of cutting out wheat, hence I'm still eating porridge for breakfast, with berries of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing your lovely summer fruit when we have dreary boring stuff now. But, hey you cheer me up by also having the best thing that can happen to bread breakfast or dessert time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic recipe! I really try to avoid waste and never know what to do with the ends other than boiled egg with solider toast. Love the idea of putting some berries in this breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).