Thursday, June 11, 2015

Giant couscous salad with chickpeas, sweet corn, paprika and tomatoes

Have you tried giant couscous? I picked a pack up last weekend after searching fruitlessly for regular couscous in the supermarket. I still don't know where they were hiding the regular sort, but I am glad I was prompted to give this variety a go. It is utterly delicious and (I think) far nicer than regular couscous!


I used the couscous for a simple salad to take to a shared work lunch. In the end, most of our team forgot about the lunch, so it was cancelled and I was left with a large container of this to eat solo. I've spread it over the week and haven't minded at all. In fact, I liked it so much that I plan to make it again for the rescheduled work lunch.



Giant couscous is actually quite different to the regular variety. It takes a little longer to cook, is denser and chewier, and has a slight nutty flavour. I used a wholemeal type which might contribute to those things too, and I recommend seeing a wholemeal option out if you can. It was far more flavoursome and satisfying than regular couscous.


I cooked this in stock with some sweet corn kernels, and then added chickpeas, paprika, lemon juice and tomatoes at the end. If having it as a stand alone dish some green vegetables would be a nice addition or side, but if serving it alongside other dishes or salads, it works perfectly as is.


Giant couscous with chickpeas, sweet corn, paprika and tomatoes
A delicious, easy salad that highlights the benefits of giant couscous
Serves 4 as a light main or approximately 8 as a side
Vegan and low fat

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
200g (dry weight) / 1-1/2 cups uncooked wholemeal giant couscous
1/2 cup vegetable stock (I used homemade and unsalted)
1 cup sweet corn kernels
2 tbsp dried paprika
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

Water, for cooking

Method
Add the couscous and vegetable stock to a saucepan and add enough water to generously cover the couscous. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to simmering point. Cook, covered, for 6 minutes. (If you are cooking corn from frozen, as I was, add the corn towards the end and add a minute to the cooking time.)

When the couscous is cooked, drain of liquid and stir through all remaining ingredients except the tomatoes. Stir through the tomatoes at the end.

Serve warm or cold.


Have you tried giant couscous?!

9 comments:

  1. I have some giant couscous but I don't know how to cook it so I always go back to the instant fluffy stuff. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly easy to cook, albeit not as easy as the instant type! Certainly quicker than rice :-)

      Delete
  2. I love giant cous cous. It's got a lovely chewy texture to it that makes salads seem a bit special. Definitely a favourite here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it but can't remember if I have made it myself or just had it at cafes - obviously not a regular in my kitchen but I really should try and use it more! yours looks delicious and I am glad you enjoyed after they cancelled the lunch - a bit annoying to make the effort and for others not to be bothered even grabbing something like bikkies and dip on the way to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I felt both virtuous and annoyed!

      Delete
  4. Yum - gotta love a simple dish :-)
    I think we call it 'pearl cous cous' ???? Assuming it's just big cous cous, or perhaps it's even bigger than our pearl stuff???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know! I know there is pearl barley, but I haven't heard of pearl cous cous.

      Delete
  5. I love giant couscous, though sadly I rarely get to cook it as Lil' L doesn't like the texture and prefers regular couscous :( I adore wheatberries too (a recent discovery), which have a similar chewy bite to them. I love them mixed in with diced roasted veggies and a drizzle of minty or spicy dressing. Have you discovered wheatberries yet?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).