Sunday, June 21, 2015

5 minute meals: Grilled hummus on toast and chilli-tahini kale and tofu salad

Sometimes, even a 15 minute meal seems too much. When it's 2pm on a Saturday and you're keen for food in a hurry, or 8pm on a weeknight and you want a quick but satisfying meal, 5 to 10 minutes is the time frame I want to work to. These are two recent meals that came together in hardly any time but still tasted delicious.


From hummus in lasagna, it was an easy jump to grilled hummus on toast. Have any of you tried it? It is even better than grilled cheese, and incredibly comforting despite being a simple meal. Just lightly toast two pieces of bread, spread generously with hummus and some halved cherry tomatoes, and grill for up to 5 minutes or as long as it takes to melt the hummus and turn the edges crispy.


Less comforting but equally delicious (and leaving room for dessert...) is my go to emergency kale salad. Pictured below, it will require you to have some pre-marinated and cooked tofu, but if you're missing that, some nuts or legumes could be added instead.

Toss 2 cups of washed, torn kale leaves with about a teaspoon each of sweet chilli sauce and tahini, add the tofu (or equivalent protein), and add whatever other vegetables you have around. I'm all about tomatoes at the moment, but pepper, corn, radishes, beetroot and carrot all work well too.


If you do want something to follow, a 5 minute dessert is a sensible pairing. I've been making custard banana soft serve lately, which is as easy as can be: 1 large frozen banana plus 1 teaspoon of custard powder, half a teaspoon of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of almond milk, processed until smooth. However, if you're somewhere cold, my vegan sticky date pudding in a mug and banana peanut butter cake in a mug only take 5 minutes to prepare.

Custard banana soft serve

It might not be Jamie Oliver standards, but a meal and dessert in under 10 minutes? I rather like that.

What is your go to quick and easy meal?

7 comments:

  1. Quick meals sound great - I got through the weekend ok with some stew I made friday and lasted us this weekend including on toast for lunch - never tried grilled hummus on toast but you have my attention. And ironically I had to buy ice cream for E today who was craving it - seems crazy when it is so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers are definitely the best quick meal of all! And how funny regarding the ice cream for E - in fairness I do eat it year round, but rarely crave it out of summer!

      Delete
  2. I am up for quick and easy meals - there are lots of times when cooking full on meals is too hard. The desserts sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just goes to show that you can have a healthy and delicious meal in minutes. I made some roasted red pepper hummus last night that would go well on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Jamie Oliver eats this sort of thing all the time - he'd just make it in three minutes! I have hummus on toast all the time but I haven't toasted it or added the tomatoes - must try that. I agree that sometimes, if you come home late at night, it's really good to be able to make something quick and easy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie probably makes these in 3 minutes whilst whipping up some more complicated meal for later ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).