Sunday, June 14, 2015

One year in London

Friday was the one year anniversary of our move to London. It seems an appropriate time to reflect on some of the Australia / UK differences I've noticed. Interspersed are some recent photos from day trips out of London, to Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.


England is not a new country to me, but there are things you only really notice when you live somewhere for an extended period of time (and to that I might add, live somewhere for an extended period of time as an adult). Here are some of them for me;

1. Different words, phrases and pronunciations. 

There are the obvious words for food bloggers, like aubergine instead of eggplant, and courgette instead of zucchini. Then, there are the words that it really matters to get right, like trousers instead of pants (which in the UK are men's underpants) and flip flops instead of thongs (I suspect no explanation is needed).

I've converted to pronouncing 'yoghurt' as yog-urt (instead of the Australian yo-ghurt) and am working on the English pronunciation of 'room', which is a mix between 'room' and 'rum' (in contrast to Australia's longer pronunciation of rooom). Most of the time I remember to say 'jacket potato' instead of 'baked potato'.

I don't think I'll ever say that I feel 'poorly', but it no longer sounds odd to hear others use it in place of 'ill' or 'sick'.

In a broader sense I'm better now at identifying accents from different parts of the UK, and London accents sound normal to me. When I hear an Australian, either on TV or on the street, their accent is simultaneously familiar but out of place. (I do appreciate I still sound Australian myself!)

Ickworth House, Suffolk


2. Different foods.

Oh goodness, the different foods. I have always loved the food on offer here, but I have never been in the country long enough to consistently stock a pantry or see the changes in produce across the year.

I am now a firm convert to British berries, apples and potatoes, have a love affair with Whole Foods, M&S Food, Tesco and Waitrose (I'm not the faithful sort when it comes to food stores), and continually delight in the ready availability of vegan food, and just generally good fresh food, when eating out.

In contrast, we have decided that Australia does better bread and small rice crackers, and I would add that they also offer vegan chocolate biscuits. It was a surprise to realise that Brits don't know about lamingtons or fairy bread, and I feel for the majority of the population who have never had Thai food as I know it (thanks to its proximity to Thailand, Australia does Thai so well).

Crisps manage to be an everyday food item here (for many at least), and I don't know why Australia hasn't cottoned on to the benefits of varied, fresh, ready made sandwiches and associated meal deals.

3. Living without a car.

Of course, this isn't a characteristic of the UK and there are many even in London who do drive. For us, though, it has been 12 months without a car of our own (we have hired one for a few trips). Considering we had a car each in Australia, and drove somewhere most days of the week, this is a huge shift.

As a result of this point, we are using our bikes a lot more. I like this part of the change and we are more environmentally friendly now. At the same time, I will confess to missing the convenience of loading a car up with items for a day out, or with shopping to bring home.

The London public transport network also deserves note as a serious benefit of living in the city. Except when it is rush hour or very hot, when it is still a benefit, but kind of feels like a punishment.

Anglesey Abbey gardens, Cambridgeshire

4. Living with less space.

Again, this isn't a characteristic of England necessarily, although on average houses and gardens are smaller here than in Australia. In London that is particularly true, and in the move we have effectively lost a bedroom, a bathroom, a fair bit of storage, and outdoor space for bikes, cars and hanging out washing. 

We have some things in storage, so I'm not sure I'm a stellar example of downsizing. However, we are living with much less than we did before and it is surprisingly manageable, most of the time.


5. Not being near the sea.

I was never a big beach person, so it has been surprising to notice this part of our move. However, when you grow up somewhere on the coast, the ocean becomes a familiar backdrop and it is odd not having it there. I do miss it on occasion.

Anglesey Abbey, Cambridgeshire (they don't have problems with storage)

6. Different trees and greenery.

This should be an obvious one, but it struck me recently that it's been a year since I've seen a gum tree. It is odd! Trees, woods and green spaces are so different here, and whilst I love the scenery and don't wish to leave it, it's another point of difference that at times seems strange.

The frequency of large city parks is a huge plus in London and something I really value in the city.

7. Actual seasons.

It is currently light at 5am and stays so until nearly 10pm. Even on the days it isn't warm, it feels like summer. Spring was characterised by flowers and blue skies, and autumn by gorgeous leaves. In winter, the days were short, Christmas lights dominated the streets, and I got to run in falling snow. I now like all of the seasons, in their own way, and love the clear signs that come with each.


8. Better newspapers and TV (and better ads).

This, of course, is subjective. However, in Western Australia there was just one weekday newspaper (The West Australian) and a handful of weekend choices. I rarely read much of them. Here, there is variety and as a consequence, scope to match your interests and preferences to the paper you read. I now look forward to the weekend paper, even if it takes me a week to get through it.

TV is even more subjective, but there are certainly more programmes I like, although I do miss Elementary (it is on pay TV here) and wish they would make Game of Thrones free to air too. Particular UK loves? Would I Like To You; Silent Witness; Location, Location, Location (and anything with Kirsty and Phil); Homes Under the Hammer (we had it in Australia, but usually old episodes); and various dramas, including Grantchester and Babylon.

Anglesey Abbey gardens, Cambridgeshire

So there we have it - some of the differences, although of course not all of them. We have no desire to leave them at this stage, and I look forward to seeing what year two (and beyond!) in the UK will bring us.

What are the things you notice or miss when you are away from home?

20 comments:

  1. Great post and congrats on a year in the UK - it is good to go through the whole cycle of a year to understand a place. When I lived in the UK one thing I missed was lots of places that made up fresh salad sandwiches as I hated the prepackaged sandwiches. Since we have been back the cafe scene has improved. I heartily agree about better newspapers and tv advertisements. I really loved looking at newspapers on the weekend in the shops to work out which magazines had the most interesting articles and we would often buy different ones - here there is so much less choice. The other difference I found was politics - especially when it comes to voting day but also trying to get my head around the different systems of government and political parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how funny about the sandwiches! In truth, they are more a benefit for Mr Bite than me but the concept of them appeals to me, and I like the occasional vegan one if I'm short on time. I didn't really get sandwiches made up in Australia so haven't noticed that option being unavailable here.

      The political differences are also very much noticeable, especially so this year with the election!

      Delete
  2. wow, a year already! My husband lived in London for a little while and he always said the newspapers were better. When I lived overseas the difference in trees and greenery was a big one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a noticeable shift, the trees and greenery!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I remember reading your posts a year ago about the moving process, it's crazy that it's been so long already! I really liked learning about the differences you're experiencing in the UK versus Australia, hope you continue to enjoy your time there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about the contrasts, too. We visited London for a day and it was fun to try some new foods like meat pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, funny - is that not a thing in the US?! It's very common in Australia so I hadn't picked up on that difference :-)

      Delete
  5. I laughed at the pants thing - I once had to return a pair of trousers to Hobbs andcalled them "pants" - the sales assistant looked at me aghast! Great post Kari - sounds as though year 1 has gone well. I do miss dropping into Boots for a meal deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hilarious!! I am sure I will do something like that one day - it is hard to completely forget a lifetime of saying 'pants'!

      Delete
  6. One year already. Time fliess. No sea and different trees. that for a start makes you feel different. Very very different from Perth for sure, Kari x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever really lived in very similar places (NYC and Boston), so it is interesting to hear your take on this move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, interesting! I will look forward to hearing your thoughts when you honeymoon in Europe later this year (although you may well have visited Europe before anyway) :-)

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary! Time really does go by so quickly. With the room thing, apparently it's a southern thing to say 'rmm', but up north they bother saying the oo's and you're more likely to hear room said properly! Or so I'm told at least! Are there any foods you're missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey! That's interesting on the 'room' thing. I hadn't noticed it being pronounced so differently on previous UK visits but I seem to be hyper-aware of it now!

      There's really not a lot of foods I miss. There are some things I'd like to get if they were here, but nothing dramatic - I think there'd be more I'd miss going back that direction.

      Delete
  9. Reading your post really made me smile :D It must be funny hearing the different terminology and pronounciations we use. Me and my hubbie are originally from Essex and even though we've lived in Bath for 15 years now, we still frequently get asked whether we're Australian! It's so bizarre.Our Essex accents must have toned down into a subtle twang that sounds Australian to the Bathonian's ears! Anyhow, so pleased that you've enjoyed your first year in England. Wishing you all the best for year 2! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so funny about your accents. I'll have to try and pick up the Essex / Australian similarities! And thank you :-)

      Delete
  10. Loved reading this Kari! I want to hear you say "room" now. I can't imagine how it sounds with an Aussie accent! And my Granny says "poorly" so I feel like it's a word reserved for the over 50s ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted! I won't adopt that word into my vocabulary then! ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).