Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Porridge (oatmeal), five ways

It was -2.6'C here on Saturday. To those of you in North America or mainland Europe, -2.6'C probably doesn't sound very cold. However, it is fairly cold for London, and especially so for someone settling into their first winter in London! On this occasion the -2.6'C was accompanied by sunny skies and no wind, but it still felt like weather for a hot breakfast.


Porridge, to me, is the quintessential hot breakfast. I pretty much never have it in summer, but in winter it is on high rotation. It is warming and filling and guaranteed to power you through the morning. Plus, it can be made in so many different ways. Today's post shares five options, but I have no doubt you have favourites of your own as well. I am focusing here on oat-based porridge, so there are even more options if you branch out to buckwheat or other grains.

Hazelnut and cocoa nib porridge
I follow the same basic recipe for all of my porridge dishes: 1/3 cup of whole rolled oats cooked with 1/3 cup non-dairy milk of choice plus 1/3 cup water. The fruit and flavour additions vary, but I find that basic mix of ingredients works for me. I add a little more milk if the mix seems to thick, and use more oats if I'm hungry. If you like creamier porridge, you can of course use all milk and the quantity of oats can be adjusted to taste.

I think porridge tastes nicer cooked on the stovetop, and given it only takes a few minutes to cook through, most of the time I take that approach. I let the mixture come to simmering point over medium-high heat (1-2 minutes), and then reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional minute. It is in that final, low heat stretch that I tend to add flavourings to the mix. 

If you aren't a fan of stovetop cooking in the morning, a microwave does work fine too (and sometimes I take that approach myself). A 2 minute stretch on high power is usually sufficient, with a break at 1 minute to stir and with careful monitoring over the last minute to avoid the porridge bubbling over! 

Once you have your basic porridge mix, there really is no limit to how you flavour your bowl. Here are some of my recent favourites - but I'd love to hear your porridge preferences too.

Hazelnut and cocoa nib porridge

First up, one of my all time favourites: hazelnut and cocoa nib. To make this, simply cook your oats with hazelnut milk and add a teaspoon (or even tablespoon!) of hazelnut butter half way through the cooking process. Top with a sprinkling of pure cocoa nibs and a sliced banana.

Raspberry and pear porridge

A different, but equally enjoyable option is raspberry and pear. For this, any milk will do; I used unsweetened almond. Take 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen raspberries and stir them into the oats about half way through cooking, with an optional sprinkle of coconut sugar. Top with pear at the end.

Plum and apple porridge

Plums and apples are beautiful in autumn and the above plum and apple porridge made the most of the seasonal fruit. I liked this best with hazelnut milk, but almond also works fine. Add a teaspoon of vanilla, a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, and the chopped pear and apple to your porridge about half way through the cooking time.

Apple, vanilla and raisin porridge

Also featuring vanilla and cinnamon is the classic mix of apple, vanilla and raisin. I like this best with almond milk and usually add a teaspoon each of vanilla and cinnamon along with a tablespoon of sultanas or raisins, plus the apple pieces, again half way through the cooking time. 

Gingerbread porridge, topped with banana

Last but definitely not least - gingerbread porridge. To make this, add a decent teaspoon of dried ginger powder to your oats at the start of the cooking process, and then add half a teaspoon of vanilla and a few chopped dates half way through. I have favoured unsweetened almond milk but, again, any milk could do. Top with fruit of choice to serve (in the above photo, I have apple as well as banana, I think because I was refuelling after a particularly long run!).

So there we have it - five of my recent and current porridge favourites. 

What types of porridge are you enjoying at the moment?

28 comments:

  1. We have pretty much the same porridge that E makes in the morning so I tend to just go with that and we often have raspberries unless there is some other seasonal fruit about the needs using - Sylvia loves to mix mashed banana in hers - I have wondered about adding nut butter so am interested to see you do this - I have also tried a little molasses in a gingerbread style porridge which was intense but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, molasses sounds great. I actually add nut butter quite a not, even though only one of these has it listed. It makes things thicky and delicious!

      Delete
  2. 2.6C is definitely warmer than it's been here...which means I'd really better get to making some of this oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minus 2.6'C was the key part, but even so, I am quite sure you're a lot colder :-) Yes - get to porridge!

      Delete
  3. Wow, 5 porridge mixes in one source! I instantly have 5 variants without having to think about combinations! Thank you!!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the oatmeal ideas! This week, I had cinnamon/raisin/sweet potato oatmeal and mashed banana oatmeal topped with a bit of cinnamon roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing!! Such different, fun ways to enjoy a healthy meal! Lovely! I like oats with chopped fruit and a bit of peanut butter or almond butter! Being away at school I don't have em too much, but when I was in high school I used to come up with some fun ways to enjoy em! With chocolate chips, or pumpkin, or cranberries!! I loved trying out new flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate chips and cranberries sounds perfect for Christmas!

      Delete
  6. That is definitely porridge weather. Growing up in Wellington we had porridge when the weather was cold (practically all the time). I remember being sent out the door to go to school and it would be -3C and sleeting. I've been wondering how you're going adjusting to the cold. I do hope you experience a white Christmas - that would make the cold very worthwhile xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping for that too! I am glad you had porridge to offset your cold school mornings as a child. What weather to be sent out the door into!

      Delete
  7. Despite having lived in North America most of my life I still think anything below 0 C is pretty darn cold, haha! I don't blame you for classifying it as porridge weather... you have a much more sophisticated oatmeal game then I do - the gingerbread flavor sounds especially good. I eat it every morning but I rarely change the flavors or type of milk (almond)... I do put chia seeds in mine and have peanut butter on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia seeds and peanut butter sound great though! I'll have to try adding seeds, I've never done that.

      Delete
  8. YUMMM! I wish I could eat oatmeal and everything (ha ha) because I have legit the best combo ideas, just like these!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for these ideas! I am always looking for different ways to do porridge. I actually use 1.5 cps liquid for half a cup of oats then stir in ground flaxseed at the end once it's in the bowl. Gives it a nice texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds good. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  10. It all looks so good! My favourite way to eat oats at the moment is with apple butter and dark chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big porridge fan and eat it most mornings, with raisins, local honey, and a pinch of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love raisins :) Your mix sounds great.

      Delete
  12. Another porridge eater here - always fig, pumpkin seed, and sunflower seed, but I'd have a lot of time for the raspberry or gingerbread versions up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought to do fig and seeds! Thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
  13. Gosh! Your porridge bowls are making me hungry! The wind chill has been terrible hasn't it? I'm always amused when we go to Canada because the forecast state 24 degrees feels like 31 degrees or similar! This week in Yorkshire it's been 2 degrees feels like -10 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, feels like -10 is extreme! We haven't gone below feels like -3! You need some porridge ;)

      Delete
  14. I love porridge. My favourite way to eat it is simply with some cinnamon, brown sugar and apples.

    In summer I make porridge in Bircher muesli form with lots of seeds and nuts added as well. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).