Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Six things Tuesday

1. Christmas. It is nearly here. Are you organised? I'm going ok with gifts, but food is another thing entirely. I got off to a good start with my early chai-spiced chocolate truffles, and then came to a screeching halt!

Our mini Christmas table.
Yes, they are my birthday flowers!

2. We're spending Christmas itself in the Lake District and travelling there by train. So, I not only need to plan food but need to plan food we can carry and prepare in a strange kitchen. Help?

3. My brother submitted his PhD this week. I am so delighted for him, not least because his PhD was so much harder than mine. His involved lab work at all hours of the day and night, experiments that didn't work, and a lab relocation mid-research.


4. Grantchester and Babylon. Have you watched them? They are making up for my sadness at Downton Abbey ending. Also, I think the main female character in Babylon, Brit Marling, looks uncannily like Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows. See this picture for an example!

5. We went to London's Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park last weekend, but didn't make it into the actual event because of the crowds. We did, though, see hundreds of people in Father Christmas costumes. It turns out we ventured into central London on the day of Santacon


6. Books. What are you reading? I'm half way through Monica Ali's Untold Story, which centres on the possibility of Princess Diana not dying after all. So far I'm really liking it. Other recent books I've liked include And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, who wrote The Kite Runner, and Trains and Lovers by Alexander McCall Smith.


What is happening in your world this Tuesday?

12 comments:

  1. The Lake District sounds like a beautiful place to spend christmas. For portable food my suggestions would be sausage rolls (if you have an oven to heat them in), your cranberry nut rolls or perhaps some salad ingredients, some fancy spiced candied nuts and some dressing in a jar. And some christmas baking (mince tarts would be my choice but probably because I have been baking them) Am sure you will do something nice.

    I still need to catch up with season 4 of downton abbey - which is tempting now we are in the non rating season and tv is quite boring - are you enjoying some good christmas specials on the telly - britain is great with that - winter wonderland sounds crazy if it is that busy and the Monica Ali book sounds interesting - I have just finished reading a book of interviews from Enough Rope which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your food suggestions Johanna! They are all helpful and I hope to get myself organised while off work tomorrow.

      The Christmas specials are mostly still to come but we are definitely looking forward to them - Would I Lie To You and Dr Who especially. I hope you enjoy season 4 of Downton when you get to it.

      Delete
  2. Christmas in the Lakes district will be wonderful. Congrats to your brother on his PhD submission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrying your uncooked Christmas dinner on the train sounds mighty brave to me!

    Grantchester was good fun but Babylon is in another league in my view, utterly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, being vegan (me) and vegetarian (Mr Bite) makes it easier - plus we are doing a low key Christmas without all the usual traditions, as we're having that Christmas lunch ahead of time with UK family :-) Still, it is a little bit daunting!

      I love Babylon too, really good!

      Delete
  4. I need to get on the baked goods gift bandwagon also! I am seriously slacking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Who Christmas special is definitely on my must watch list! I'm so far from Christmas being organised, I'm envious of the truffle-making afoot. Still, I guess we've got days yet! Could you make anything ahead for Christmas and take it up with you to the Lakes in tupperware and that sort of thing? Might be a bit bulky I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of bulk for the train - I fear for making our way across London actually :P Mostly pre-made things rather than anything from my kitchen though. I hope your organisation has progressed!

      Delete
  6. It would be fantastic if Princess Diana didn't die. I often wonder what she'd be doing if she was still alive. It would be wonderful to see her with her grandson. I nearly bought the same blue stocking! I saw it in Bed, Bath and Table but ended up going for red stockings instead. I'm also panicking about the fact there's still so much to do yet just a few days until Christmas. Every year I say, 'If only I had one more week'. Your parents must be very proud to have two children completing PhDs. Well done to your brother xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, funny (re. the stocking)! I bought it from BBT for Mr Bite a few years ago - they must have the same stock. He grew up without stockings, which I found impossible to accept.

      One more week would be nice, wouldn't it? I hope you're organised now!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).