Thursday, December 18, 2014

Beetroot and chickpea curry, in besan flour flatbreads

I am not the biggest fan of beetroot. I will happily embrace it in chocolate beetroot brownies, or in spiralised form for raw Thai noodles, but eaten plain it is not generally my thing.

For whatever reason, I made an exception last week. The lovely thing about local market stalls is they inspire me to buy different products: in season vegetables have great appeal even if the vegetable in question is not usually my favourite. Beetroot caught my eye recently, and then I needed to decide what to do with it.

I wanted to roast the beetroot, but was also keen to turn it into a complete meal. The result was this beetroot and chickpea curry. I roasted the beetroot with cardamom and apple cider vinegar, and then transferred it to the stove top to cook with onion, garlic, carrot, chickpeas, tomato paste, turmeric and garam masala. I really liked the result, especially served in besan flour (chickpea flour) flat breads and topped with mango chutney. It won Mr Bite over too. 

Beetroot is yet to reach favourite vegetable status, but this dish certainly increases its appeal!


Beetroot and chickpea curry, in besan flour flat breads
A hearty, tasty meal for 4
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
3 medium beetroot, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
1-2 tbsp cardamom pods
2 medium brown onions, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 to 1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas

1 cup besan flour (chickpea flour)
1 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice

Mango chutney (or other chutney), to serve

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C. Place the chopped beetroot in an oven proof dish along with the apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp oil, and cardamom pods. Roast uncovered for 20-30 minutes, then cover and roast for an additional 20-30 minutes until the beetroot is cooked. 

In a non-stick pan or saucepan, heat the other 1/2 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, garam masala and turmeric. Saute, stirring regularly, until fragrant and the onion is turning golden.

Add the tomato paste, carrots, chickpeas and roasted beetroot (without the cardamom pods) to the pan and reduce heat to low. Allow to cook, covered if possible, for approximately 20 minutes.

When the curry is cooked, whisk the besan flour, water and lemon juice together in a mixing bowl. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil if desired. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of the flour mixture into the pan (depending on how large and thick you want your flat breads) and tilt the pan to distribute evenly. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until golden brown on both sides. Repeat for the remaining mix.

Serve the curry with the flat breads, and top with mango chutney or other chutney of choice.

What is your favourite way to use beetroot?

14 comments:

  1. Like you it hasn't reached favourite status but it has climbed the rungs from run away squealing to ok, lets do this. I still think roasted is the way to go as it brings the sweetness out. Raw and juiced in a smoothie however...it is never going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved tinned beetroot and still do which perhaps is why I have never had a problem with the taste of beetroot (or the colour) but I do find it takes ages to cook - roasting it before adding to the curry sounds like a good method - and chickpea flatbreads are such a great way to serve a curry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you like the tinned variety - you're right in that at least that is quicker for cooking purposes. This method takes a little while but the roasting doesn't take much active effort!

      Delete
  3. I love chickpeas in curry. They really bulk out the dish, they are cheap and they are a great source of protein too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore beetroot, so this dish is for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved beetroot and I grew up on the canned stuff! I do think beetroot adds great colour to a dish. I don't think I've ever had beetroot in a curry! This is a great idea and I'm glad it turned you around - slightly! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there at least ;) I do think the canned variety was fairly ubiquitous in Australia and New Zealand across our childhoods!

      Delete
  6. I'm a beetroot fanatic and like it any which way. This looks right up my street, especially served with the chickpea flour flatbreads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do associate you with beetroot - along with coconut and berries of course!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a huge fan of beets, either, but with this curry I could probably be convinced to give it a fair try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry mix and flat breads go a long way to helping the beets along, that is for sure!

      Delete
  8. This is a great idea Kari! I tend to mainly juice beetroot but I love the look of this with the besan flour wraps :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).