Sunday, October 12, 2014

Out and about in England: Tonbridge and Oxford

Today's post steps away from recipes to share some recent trips out of London. We still haven't ventured too far from England's capital, but recent day trips have whetted my appetite for more exploring.

Tonbridge castle

Tonbridge is approximately 30 miles south-east of London, in the heart of Kent. As with many towns in the area, it started as a market town and still has a traditional high street, albeit now with modern shops. The town isn't too far from where my grandparents live, but inexplicably I'd never visited it before. I think we tended to head to nearby Tunbridge Wells when in the area, as that is larger and has more shops.

High Street buildings 


We were visiting Tonbridge as a potential future living location, for when we eventually move out of London. Whilst we are loving the city at present, our one bedroom flat is, well, a one bedroom flat. We would like more space at some stage, as well as easy access to countryside. Tonbridge is a popular commuter town for London and we could see why when we visited.

Local walking trails

We walked from the town to Haysden Country Park, on a glorious autumn day that was cool but sunny. There were lots of runners, cyclists and dog walkers about, and the area seemed to have a good network of paths for all of those activities. We were pretty smitten with the scenery and atmosphere around the town.

Haysden Country Park

For lunch, we decided to make the most of the weather and eat outside rather than at a cafe. The remains of Tonbridge Castle are a nice feature off the high street, and you can enter the old castle walls without any admission charge (there is a fee to enter the Gatehouse, which is the building pictured in the top photo). I bought a vegan hummus, carrot and coriander sandwich from a local cafe, while Mr Bite had a cheese ploughman's sandwich from Gregg's. Eating in dappled sunshine, with the castle to our side, was delightful.


It will be a while before we consider moving, but if and when we do, Tonbridge is on the possibility list.

Views over Tonbridge

Oxford was a different kind of trip, and one I made solo as it was to see my old PhD supervisor and recent employer. I worked with her in some capacity from 2004 until we left Perth, so it was lovely to catch up again on English soil. She lived and worked in Oxford for a number of years before I met her, and has been back visiting the area.

Bodleian library reading room

I had only been to Oxford once before and didn't know the town well. I enjoyed having an insider's perspective and we spent a a couple of hours wandering the historic centre and various university buildings. They are all stunning.

Peeking at All Souls College

We ate lunch at Vaults Cafe, which is housed within a 1320 building adjacent to the University Church. Happily for me, the cafe has a focus on fresh, organic food with plenty of vegetarian choices. Everything was nicely labelled according to ingredient status, so it was easy to identify a vegan Bengal curry dish, which came with brown rice.

The gardens of Vaults Cafe

It was a delicious meal, with the curry nicely flavoured and containing a mix of in season and perfectly cooked vegetables. My companion had the lasagna, and also rated it highly.


Again, the weather for this trip was beautiful, with cool temperatures buffered by sunny skies. It was rainy on leaving London in the morning, but I didn't need the umbrella I diligently backed for the day.


All in all, two very enjoyable day trips, to different but equally beautiful parts of the country.

Have you explored any new places recently?

19 comments:

  1. Lovely to see photos from your trips Kari! A friend of mine comes from Tonbridge and I'll definitely have to find an excuse to visit seeing how pretty the area is. And of course I know Oxford well :D The Vaults & Garden was probably my favourite café!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you while there actually - it would have been such an amazing place to study :-)

      Delete
  2. Your post makes me yet again wish I had spent more time exploring when I lived in London - I did manage a couple of trips to Oxford and loved the place. I really love the look of the Vaults and it sounds just as well to visit there when you have a nice day and can enjoy the magnificent al fresco dining. I remember going to The Eagle and Child pub which is on the tourist trail but is lovely nevertheless. Tonbridge looks lovely. It is nice you have time to explore around London and think about where you might move without any pressure to move quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly were lucky with the weather for eating outside at Oxford. Mind you, the inside of the cafe was lovely too and would be particularly nice on a rainy day - but the views from the garden were gorgeous. I think it is easy to stay in one region and forget to explore, as indicated by me only visiting some parts of WA in the years before we moved!

      Delete
  3. Such refreshing views and fine architecture. Great taste, Charlie! Looking forward to more places that you will be exploring :)...

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I've only ever been to London but on my next visit I really want to get way out of London and see the countryside (thanks to being obsessed with Enid Blyton books when I was little!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must! And the lovely thing is, it's really easy to do so. Oxford is only an hour or so from London and trains go every 15 minutes or so.

      Delete
  5. Fun post! We visited London for one day on a layover and had the best time trying to see as much as possible, but would love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this brings back memories. I studied in the UK a while ago, your photos make me miss those towns x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that UK nostalgia from when we were in Australia...I hope you can make it back to visit at some point :-)

      Delete
  7. This post just proves how beautiful the UK is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a long time since I've visited either town, and definitely neither trip was made as a vegan. I'm thinking maybe I need to get myself back to Oxford - a curry with a view like that could be no bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend The Vault cafe for a vegan friendly, beautifully set lunch :-) I suspect Oxford would have many vegan friendly places actually - student towns so often do.

      Delete
  9. Tonbridge is stunning and even though it was cool, it looks like you were there on a really beautiful day. I love the views and how green it all is and the shops and the castle - it's all so scenic. I've been to Oxford and loved the old town. So much history and beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History and beauty sums it up perfectly - I love it too.

      Delete
  10. Good to see you making the most ofyour time over there & getting to see lots of different places :-)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).