Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mango, strawberry and sweet potato salad with a 'honey' mustard dressing

Dear readers, this will be a week of short and sweet posts. Our shipment has arrived and our flat is a disaster zone! We are really excited to be reunited with our belongings, but until we get the boxes unpacked and items stowed away, it is an obstacle course getting from room to room. Making dinner last night involved a narrow path from fridge to stove, and shuffling of boxes to get to the sink. It is tricky. I am also unsure why we (I) shipped so much. Living without much for  4 months has changed my views on 'essential'. I could have abandoned a lot more in Perth.

Mango, strawberry and sweet potato salad with a 'honey' mustard dressing


I'll share more on the unpacking process in time, but for now, here is a quick and easy salad I made before London's weather changed from summer to autumn. It is still suited to the autumn sunshine that comes through most days - and of course for those of you in the southern hemisphere, it would be a nice way to embrace spring and approaching summer.

The salad is a vague nod to my meat eating days, when honey mustard chicken salads were a favourite salad option. I don't miss them now, and it didn't even occur to me to try and recreate the chicken with tofu (although you could). Instead, I kept the honey mustard flavours in the dressing, with rice malt syrup standing in for honey. I actually don't mind honey on occasion, so if you eat it, you could use that instead of rice malt if you prefer.

The salad combines sweetness from the fruit, crunch from the lettuce, and substance from the sweet potato and cashews. The dressing brings it all together and makes for a really enjoyable side or meal.


Mango, strawberry and sweet potato salad with a 'honey' mustard dressing
A sweet, satisfying salad
Serves 1 as a lunch or 2 to 3 as a side (double quantities for a bigger side dish)
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
For the dressing
1/2 tsp mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp rice malt syrup
Dash of water

For the salad
1-1/2 to 2 cups torn lettuce leaves
1 pepper, sliced or chopped
1 small sweet potato, cooked, cooled and cut into slices
1/2 large mango, sliced
Handful strawberries, dehulled and sliced
Handful cashew nuts, roughly chopped

Method
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl or jar and whisk to combine.

To make the salad, combine the lettuce, pepper, sweet potato, mango, strawberries and cashew nuts in a bowl. Toss to mix, then add the dressing and stir or toss through.

Serve.


Have you moved and regretted packing certain things?! And what salads are you enjoying at the moment?

17 comments:

  1. Looks delicious (I have baked tofu with honey and mustard and loved it) - I would increase the strawberries and leave out the mango (though it occurs to me that apricots would be great instead of mango if nice ones were available). The warm weather is not lasting long here (one sunny day seems to be followed by two colder ones) but am sure it will be salad weather soon. I remember boxes being sent between countries both ways and I know what you mean about learning what you could live without but I remember a lot of joy in some sentimental possessions too like wedding presents that were too good to use often in the kitchen but were special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely joy too, just an amazement at how much we used to have! Alternating weather patterns sounds just like Melbourne, but hopefully you will start to get some summer produce soon even if the sunshine isn't always present. I will have to try baked honey mustard tofu too - sounds lovely.

      Delete
  2. This looks delish - I adore anything mango and can't wait until mango season here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also still working through the excess after living with less. I just find it hard to part with things, it seems :(
    baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - or at least, I do when I have the items with me. I seem fine when they're out of sight and out of mind!

      Delete
  4. This looks so vibrant and fresh! Love the sound of that dressing - think this is definitely a great summer salad, will be trying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have your belongings with you again but then there's the unpacking. It's never a pleasant job and trying to find a place for everything is always a challenge. Your salad looks so pretty as it's very colourful and I do love a honey mustard dressing. I've been seeing mangoes in the shops but at $5.00 for a small Kensington Pride, I'm holding off until the prices become more reasonable xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $5! That is horrifying! Definitely do wait - this salad will be there when the mangoes aren't so exorbitant :-)

      Delete
  6. I adore honey mustard dressing though I don't think I ever ate it with meat...just chickpeas and tofu! I haven't dressed a salad with it in a while, but you've started a craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever had it with chickpeas! Now you've started a craving :-)

      Delete
  7. looks so yummy a simple presentation but a healthy menu....
    IT Solutions Armonk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your salad mix. I wish a plateful is in front of me right now, lol.

    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you won't have to wait long until you can create your own with Australian mangoes :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).