Thursday, October 9, 2014

Blueberry tart

In my recent In My Kitchen post, I mentioned buying rather a lot of blueberries. 5 cups worth, in fact. I know this because I measured out 4 cups for this blueberry tart. It was an excellent use of the fruit, and still allowed me a cup to gobble up fresh.


I don't regularly make tarts, but making vegan lemon meringue pie sparked some interest in pie and tart-based desserts. The base for this tart is actually identical to that for the lemon meringue pie, and the filling is adapted from the lemon equivalent.



As I adapted the recipe as I went along, I wasn't certain on how much setting agent (vegan gelatin) to use for the filling. I thought I would need less than for the lemon meringue pie, but in fact I probably should have kept the amount the same. The tart was a little runny (although it did firm up after a day in the fridge) and I have increased the amount of gelatin in the recipe below.

I also made a guess at how much sugar to use. I thought I got the amount right, but Mr Bite thought it wasn't sweet enough. He does like sweet things, but probably no more than the average person, so you may want to increase the sugar if catering to conventional tastes. I found the amount listed to offset the tartness of the berries without hiding it altogether.


Blueberry tart
An easy dessert that is enjoyable hot or cold
Make 1 tart
Vegan

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts


Ingredients
For the base
1 cup / 230g plain flour
1/2 cup / 120g non-dairy spread
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch salt
Dash of cold water, as needed to bring the dough together

For the blueberry filling
4 cups blueberries
2/3 cups (160g) caster sugar
2 tbsp corn flour
1/4 teaspoon vegan gelatin or agar powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice

Method
To make the tart base, combine the flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl, and then rub in the non-dairy spread with your fingers. Add a drizzle of water to bring the dough together, if needed. Roll the dough out to 1-2cm (1/2 inch) thick and arrange in the bottom of a pie tin. Put in the fridge while you heat your oven to 200'C (400'F).

When the oven is ready, prick the pastry at the bottom of the pie tin, and then cover the pastry with baking paper. Fill with enough baking beans, nuts or seeds to hold the paper down. Bake for 10 minutes, until just firm and turning golden.

While the crust is baking, make the blueberry filling. Put all of the ingredients (berries, sugar, corn flour, vegan gelatin, salt, water, lemon juice) in a non-stick saucepan and bring to simmering point, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon. Once simmering, stir constantly for 4 to 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. 

When the base has cooked for 10 minutes, pour in the blueberry filling and return to the oven. Reduce heat to 160'C and allow to cook for approximately 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving, or cool completely if preferred.

Do you enjoy tart / pie desserts?

17 comments:

  1. Maybe it didn't quite set the way you wanted, but it still looks so delicious! I would be more than happy to eat it - love that gooey blueberry goodness. I'm with you - I prefer more lightly sweetened things, especially when fruit is involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same :-) I think fruit things should taste of fruit!

      Delete
  2. Wow that is a lot of blueberries compared to those puny punnets from the supermarket. Sounds like a great tart - would you consider a blueberry meringue tart - I have never been a fan of lemon but have seen other meringue tarts that quite interest me. BTW congrats on the vegan mofo mofie award for your lemon meringue tart - well deserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hadn't registered the award until seeing your comment! Thanks for alerting me to it. I am intrigued by the idea of a blueberry meringue, and am now thinking of all the different possibilities. I'm quite fond of lemon things but I'm always keen on unusual recipe options!

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome! I've made blueberry pie but not a tart and I also don't like it overly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks delicious! The more blueberries the better I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four cups of blueberries in the tart! Delicious. The tart looks really good and I don't mind if the filling isn't rock hard. I think you did very well to adapt the recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing - yum! Who could resist the oozy blueberry goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks divine! I love I wonder if I could get away with using corn flour instead of the agar? In different quantity of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly? I already used some corn flour so I guess it wouldn't be too great a stretch to increase it and leave out the gelatin / agar - worth trying anyway, as it will taste good even if not set ;)

      Delete
  8. I haven't made a tart in forever. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love blueberries, especially in pies and tarts. This sounds so delightful!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).