Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Vegan millionaire's shortbread with pear

My big decision last weekend was how to reacquaint myself with my food processor. Mr Bite changed the plug over (Australian to UK) last week, and it was all ready to process away. I have been gathering bookmarks over the last few months for just this moment - a raw vegan millionaire's shortbread recipe, Kate's raw hazelnut caramel slice and Heather's raw carob cream squares, amongst others. How to choose?


Complicating matters, I also had some over ripe pears and the memory of my vegan caramel pear slice. In a mix and match moment, I took the millionaire's shortbread recipe and adapted it to include pears in the filling, and to use cashews and oats instead of almonds for the base.

The result? Food processor heaven. 


The only downside to this recipe, likely due to the pears, is that the filling is a little soft at room temperature. It is just right in the fridge, but too hard in the freezer. If you are eating these out of the fridge, you'll have no problem. If you want to leave them out at room temperature, freezing them briefly first may be worthwhile.

Vegan millionaire's shortbread with pear
A slightly lighter version of the caramel-filled, chocolate topped, sweet shortbread treat
Makes approximately 10 slices

Food processor required

Author: Bite-Sized Thoughts, adapted from a recipe for raw millionaire's shortbread on Natural Juice Junkie


Ingredients
Base layer
1/4 cup dates
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 tsp coconut oil, in liquid form

Caramel filling
Loosely packed 3/4 cup of ripe pear pieces without skin (equivalent to 2 small pears)
1/4 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
2 tbsp lucuma powder
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp coconut oil, in liquid form

Chocolate layer
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil, in liquid form

Method
Line a square baking tin with baking paper.

To make the base, combine the dates, cashews and rolled oats in a food processor and process until the mix resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the coconut oil with the food processor running, and process until just incorporated. 

Transfer the mix to your prepared tin and press down firmly to form the shortbread base. Place in the freezer while you make the caramel filling.

Process the pears in your food processor until pureed, and then add the rice malt syrup / maple syrup, lucuma powder, vanilla and coconut oil, Process until smooth. Pour over the prepared base and return the tin to the freezer while you make the chocolate layer.

Combine the cocoa, rice malt syrup / maple syrup and coconut oil in a small heat proof bowl, and stir until smooth. Heat over low heat if the mixture starts to clump.

Pour the chocolate over the top of the caramel layer and smooth out to form an even topping. Allow the shortbread to set in the freezer for 2 to 4 hours, or in the fridge overnight, before cutting into squares.


What is your favourite food processor treat, if you have one? I'm still eyeing off the other recipes on my bookmarks list!

20 comments:

  1. These sound delish! And so much healthier I think than your standard millionaires shortbread - the use of pear to make caramel is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! They sound delicious. I love pears with chocolate. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And, for that matter, most things with chocolate...

      Delete
  3. This is similar to how I make mine, but I love how you make your caramel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly helpful when I have ripe pears around - and pears seem to go from perfect to over ripe so quickly!

      Delete
  4. I'm honoured to provide one of the options :) this looks great! I've never used pear like this before. Do you think it would still work without lucuma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking forward to making your slice as you made it :-) You could definitely do the caramel without lucuma, just add something in to give equal bulk to the filling or it would be a bit too runny I suspect. Nut butter or dates or even custard powder / cornstarch would probably work.

      Delete
  5. Goodness you must have been excited to have the food processor again - though if it is anything like my new blender you must also have lost a little patch of bench space! These sound great - and so healthy for such a sugar and butter laded treat. I think my favourite food processor treats are dried fruit nut and coconut balls (we haven't made them for ages but have made them heaps in the food processor) and perhaps haggis! But you must have a long list of food to make with your food processor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have it back I am actually unable to focus clearly on what I want to make. Just everything!

      It does indeed take up bench space, but not as much as the microwave :S

      Delete
  6. This looks really good, Kari and you improvise so well. How wonderful to have your food processor with you again. I just made a cake with a similar topping but used cream instead of coconut oil - wish I'd used coconut oil! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find coconut oil a very versatile food! Your cake sounds lovely though.

      Delete
  7. Ha, I felt awesome when my blender got back in action so I can imagine how it must be to have your food processor back! These look delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, some kitchen appliances just make life better :D

      Delete
  8. I love how you threw together two ideas and ended up with something super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things work out just as one would hope...which makes up for the times that two ideas combined = really bad ;)

      Delete
  9. Hello! Sorry to post this here but your email link didn't work for me. You won a Mofie over at this post: http://www.veganmofo.com/the-mofies-round-2/
    Email us if you'd like to receive your chocolate bar. Thanks! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa! And I'm sorry the email link didn't work - I'll check that out too :S

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).