Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Healthier vegan sticky date pudding in a mug

Do you like sticky date pudding? I think of it as a quintessential British winter dessert, and while it isn't my personal favourite, it is much adored by my mother and grandfather. It is also a favourite dessert of one of my close friends. Recently, she asked if I could make a healthier version and I was delighted to take on the challenge.

Healthier sticky date pudding, made in a mug

Sticky date pudding is actually quite easy to veganise, and there are many existing vegan recipes to choose from. Most, though, still use brown sugar (as well as golden syrup) and non-dairy spread in the pudding and sauce. As my recipes page will tell you, I have no problem with brown sugar and non-dairy spread, but they aren't exactly whole foods. For this made over pudding, I really wanted a back to basics ingredient list.

After seeing Veggieful's 2 minute vegan sticky date pudding in a mug, I also wanted to make a mug version of the dessert. A rich, decadent pudding made in 2 minutes flat, with whole food ingredients? That was a challenge I could warm to!

Sticky date pudding in a mug

My version of the recipe uses wholemeal spelt flour instead of the regular variety; swaps out brown sugar for additional dates in the pudding; and swaps out non-dairy spread for apple sauce in the pudding, and for nut butter in the sauce. For a truly wholefood ingredient list,  you would need to use maple syrup as the liquid sweetener, but I did retain golden syrup here. It is such a core part of sticky date pudding that I recommend you keep it too.

As for the result? This was sticky and sweet and satisfying in exactly the way it should be. I won't pretend that it's the same as a restaurant pudding, but as an easy homemade version, I rate it very highly. The 2 minute convenience adds bonus points too!


Healthier sticky date pudding in a mug
All the decadence with fewer processed ingredients
Vegan
Serves one

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from Veggieful's 2 minute vegan sticky date pudding in a mug


Ingredients
For the pudding -
3 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour (or plain flour)
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
1-1/2 tbsp apple sauce (mine was sweetened)
1 tbsp golden syrup (maple syrup or rice malt syrup will work but won't give quite the same taste)
6 pitted dried dates, finely chopped

For the sauce (double quantities if you like a lot of sauce) -
2 tsp cashew or almond butter
2 tsp golden syrup

Method
In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, milk, apple sauce and golden syrup. Whisk well to combine. Add the chopped dates and stir through.

Pour the mixture into a medium or large mug (at least 300ml, and bigger is safer). Heat on high power in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Allow the pudding to cool slightly, and while it does, combine the sauce ingredients (nut butter and syrup) in a small bowl or cup. Heat on low power in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, until just warm. 

Pour the sauce over the pudding in your mug, or transfer the pudding to a bowl and top with sauce there.

Enjoy!


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Are you a sticky date pudding fan?

21 comments:

  1. Just yesterday I was hit hard with a sticy date pudding craving, so this is perfect timing =] it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing indeed! I hope your craving is satisfied :D

      Delete
  2. I've never had stick date pudding, but I love dessert and dates so I can't see myself not enjoying this! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like dessert and dates (and frankly, who doesn't?!) then it is a likely win :)

      Delete
  3. Many years ago in blogging I tried a healthy sticky toffee pudding - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2008/10/sticky-toffee-pudding-my-kind-of.html - not vegan but you might be interested to see it because it uses vegies and nuts so it is quite different from your version but I failed on being healthy and had to make a regular creamy sauce - I much prefer the sound of your sauce. I rarely have made sticky date pud at home but occasionally have it when eating out. That is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recipe sounds great! I'll have to use it as my guide if and when I move beyond mug based pudding to the genuine thing.

      Delete
  4. I might just have to give that one crack Ms Kari. I've still got a band habit of 9pm munchies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Have you made any other mug cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a warming and comforting looking dessert. I had no idea it could be made vegan. I thought for sure the sauce needed some dairy in there somewhere! Great version, Kari xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used only REAL ingredients in this! Such a nice change and I'm sure you feel better while eating it, even if it is an indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it means you can eat it twice as often ;)

      Delete
  8. I love desserts that make ONE serving and what a serving this is. Who but you would make this traditional dessert healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! I am completely in love with these single serving mug cakes now. I can't wait to try more :)

      Delete
  9. This looks delicious and healthier and quick win my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how quick this is! I don't have any excuse not to make it (or two)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so yummy! I think it might be my morning snack once I finally finish this $2 horror challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it will taste even better after finishing that! Good on you for doing it :)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).