Sunday, April 13, 2014

A chocolate-filled birthday

As it is wont to do at this time of year, Mr Bite's birthday rolled around last week.


This year, it was a round number birthday. After finally catching up to the same age decade last December, my mature, wise, young-for-his-age husband has leapt ahead of me yet again. It is uncanny to me that he is the age that he is. He does not look it and (I say with praise) most of the time he does not act it!




Age milestones aside, we celebrated this year much the way we have celebrated in previous years. We did discuss the possibility of a big party, but it was a short-lived discussion. We are a very reclining pair.

On his actual birthday, we finished work early and enjoyed a leisurely late afternoon walk and a dinner for two. There were cupcakes for him to take to work, made using my reliable, never-fail vegan chocolate cupcake recipe.

Work cupcakes

On Friday, we celebrated again with family, with the same cake that has featured over the last three years. Thank goodness I documented it properly in 2012. Featuring 4 eggs, much chocolate, and cream in the icing, this cake is definitely not vegan - but it is always a hit when served up.


This year I deviated from my white chocolate decorating scheme, throwing age-appropriate style out the window in favour of Smarties. One could say Smarties aren't the right choice for a 40-year-old, but I am claiming that they are timeless. At any rate, there weren't any complaints!

Birthday cakes from 2011 to 2014

There may come a year when he wants a different cake, or we switch low-key celebrations for something more eventful, but for now...I am rather content with the April routines.

Happy birthday Mr B!

Do you have birthday traditions that bring out the same recipe year in and year out?

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your husband! He is lucky to have you baking such a lovely cake and cupcakes for work! My partner is 12 years older than me but he doesn't look/act it either (I mean that in a nice way!) so I understand your disbelief about your husband turning 40...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is lovely to hear! Our age difference really doesn't feel notable at all, but I'm aware that strictly speaking it's not the norm. It's nice to know there are other couples with a similar set up :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to Mr Bite - sounds like a perfect birthday to me - and chocolate cake and smarties sounds just right for a birthday cake - I used to have a cake I made every year on my birthday but it has fallen by the wayside as I have gone exploring other cake ideas - though always chocolate! I have a few other cake recipes that are tried and true for birthdays - we have E's birthday coming up and I am thinking which tried and true I should turn to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of having a set of tried and true recipes. I have just a handful - these two (cupcakes and cake) amongst them - and it is so nice to know that you will have a product that will definitely turn out. I also like the idea of researching more recipes to become tried and true favourites...my kind of project ;)

      Delete
  3. Aw, happy birthday Mr B! Hugs and smiles and extra servings of cake for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! We're continuing with the cake eating and still have balloons up, so it's like an extra long birthday celebration :-)

      Delete
  4. Ohh I love birthdays!! So fun!! Happy bday to your hubby!! Also, I nominated you for the Liebster Award!! Check out my blog for more info :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cailee :) I think I might have done that award previously, but always appreciate nominations!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, Mr Bite! Chocolate cake and a quiet dinner is the perfect way to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cake for MR Bite. His birthday sounded perfect. A walk and dinner what more could you want?

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).