Sunday, April 27, 2014

Raw apple-vanilla or banana-cinnamon buckwheat porridge

As I've mentioned, I never really got into the overnight oats craze. Raw buckwheat porridge, though? That trend has won me over.


Apple-vanilla buckwheat porridge, with raspberries

You have probably seen or heard about buckwheat porridge already. It seems to be popping up everywhere at the moment. Given that I am often slow with food trends, you may already be enjoying it yourself. If you haven't yet tried it, I hope that this post can inspire you to give it a go. It is really, really lovely!

At a most basic level, raw buckwheat porridge involves soaking untoasted whole buckwheat groats in water, draining them, and processing them into a creamy cold 'porridge'. Milk, seasonings, fruit and other add ins (coconut, seeds, cacao nibs...) can then be added to taste. It is a very versatile dish.

Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is in fact a seed. It is gluten free, high in fibre and protein, and can be bought as raw groats (as used here and also suitable for cooking), toasted (as in the US cereal Kasha) and as flour.

Banana-cinnamon buckwheat porridge

My approach to buckwheat porridge differs slightly from some versions, in that I process fruit with the buckwheat, as well as adding some on top. This adds sweetness and flavour to the porridge, while also lightening it slightly and bulking out the dish. I am pretty in love with the result.

I'm posting two porridge variations today, because I couldn't choose just one to share. The apple-vanilla version blends a whole, quartered apple with the buckwheat to give porridge with a slightly crunchy texture. The banana-cinnamon version, in contrast, is silky smooth, with the blended banana adding creaminess to the dish.  I topped both versions with raspberries, which I highly recommend.

Banana-cinnamon buckwheat porridge

Raw apple-vanilla buckwheat porridge
Makes 1 generous breakfast serve, or 2 small snack serves
Vegan and gluten free
Food processor or blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from the many other buckwheat porridge recipes available online


Ingredients
1/2 cup raw untoasted buckwheat groats, soaked in 2 cups of water for a few hours or overnight
1 medium apple, core removed and cut into quarters (no need to peel)
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp sultanas or raisins
1/2 to 3/4 cup raspberries or other fruit, to serve

Method
After soaking your buckwheat groats, drain them and rinse well. Add to your food processor or blender, along with the apple. Process until creamy and semi-smooth, approximately 1 minute. Add the milk and vanilla and process to incorporate. Stir in the sultanas.

Transfer to a bowl and serve topped with raspberries or other fruit of choice.


Raw banana-cinnamon buckwheat porridge
Makes 1 generous breakfast serve, or 2 small snack serves
Vegan and gluten free
Food processor or blender required

Author: Bite-sized thoughts, adapted from the many other buckwheat porridge recipes available online


Ingredients
1/2 cup raw untoasted buckwheat groats, soaked in 2 cups of water for a few hours or overnight
1 medium banana
1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1/2 to 3/4 cup raspberries or other fruit, to serve

Method
After soaking your buckwheat groats, drain them and rinse well. Add to your food processor or blender, along with the banana, milk and cinnamon. Process until creamy and reasonably smooth, approximately 1 minute. 

Transfer to a bowl and serve topped with raspberries or other fruit of choice. Alternatively, create a breakfast parfait (as pictured above) by layering the porridge and berries.


Have you tried buckwheat porridge?!

14 comments:

  1. Well, I love overnight oats and have also fallen for this craze! I have made the Oh She Glows choc banana version which I liked but am interested to try your variations! I just happen to have bought two packets of buckwheat today :) have you tried roasted buckwheat cereal? It's so delicious. I mix it with maple syrup and peanut butter when roasted and it's kind of like crunchy granola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yum! I haven't tried it toasted yet but if I can stop myself using all of my current pack in this form, I shall definitely try it soon! I have Angela's chocolate banana version bookmarked too :-)

      Delete
  2. I've tried raw buckwheat porridge and, while I didn't love it at first, it's growing on me. I definitely think adding fruit to the blended mix is a good idea as it tastes kind of "earthy" plain.
    Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it would be a bit of an acquired taste plain! I quite like the earthiness when softened by the fruit, but suspect I'd find it too much straight up.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of buckwheat more than I love it as a food - I have some cooked buckwheat in my freezer and need to push myself to use it - not sure I could love porridge but I am still working up to overnight oats. However liking the idea of buckwheat, I am still excited by the recipe - looks esp good with the raspberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to cook with mine more :-) I much preferred this to overnight oats, so I'd say there is definitely hope for you liking it - and whilst it is creamy, it isn't milky at all.

      Delete
  4. I'm slow with food trends too. I love the sound of this buckwheat and how it's GF and how it can produce a versatile breakfast menu. I would definitely top mine with raspberries too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries make everything better, don't they? :-)

      Delete
  5. I used to have a breakfast like this fairly regularly but haven't in probably over a year! Must go buy buckwheat and make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we go through food trends? A year is a long time though, so I would say you are definitely overdue for more!

      Delete
  6. SO I am officially about to go into my kitchen and start soaking. You see, I have a packet of buckwheat in the pantry that is unopened but I haven't officially tried buckwheat porridge yet! :-) Can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super!! I can't wait to hear how you found it - please let me know :-)

      Delete
    2. OK....... so I'm officially ADDICTED!
      Have had it every morning since I posted last! It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

      Delete
    3. Hahaha - I completely understand! I'm so glad you have discovered the joys of it too :D

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).