Friday, April 4, 2014

Italian roast vegetables and beans

I hadn't originally planned to post this recipe. It was something I made up last Sunday, inspired by a large volume of vegetables in the fridge and cooler weather outside. It is such a novelty to use my oven without risking heat stroke in the kitchen! Thankfully, I scribbled the recipe down and snapped a few photos just in case the dish turned out.


I'm glad I did, because we both loved this meal. It is the sort of dish that is hearty and rich and satisfying, while still delivering a decent serve of your daily vegetable requirements. It's definitely suited to cool weather, and will make your house smell lovely at the same time as warming your kitchen (and subsequently, your stomach!).

In addition to cool temperatures, this dish suits weekends due to 2 hours of cooking time. Happily, though, the active attention time is minimal. You can also bake it in advance and reheat as needed.

I used tinned tomatoes in this, but you could use fresh if you preferred. There is also scope to vary the vegetables to suit what your own fridge is harbouring. I suspect it is a forgiving recipe, and I look forward to trying variations on the vegetables myself with time.


Italian roast vegetables and beans
Serves 3 as a hearty main, or 6 as a side dish
Vegan, low fat and gluten free

Author: Bite-sized thoughts


Ingredients
3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2 large carrots, cut into rounds
1/2 cabbage, roughly chopped
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or mixed beans
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tin (375g / 1-1/2 cups) crushed tomatoes

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C.

Place the vegetables (potatoes, carrot, cabbage, pepper, onion) and chickpeas/mixed beans in a large oven-proof dish. 

In a small bowl or jug, combine the sherry vinegar, maple syrup, oil and oregano. Whisk to combine. Pour over the vegetable mix. Add the crushed tomatoes.

Stir the vinegar mix and tomatoes through the vegetables, and then bake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, stir the vegetables again, and then cover the dish (with foil or a lid) before baking for an additional hour.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays.

What dishes do you enjoy rediscovering when the weather turns from hot to cold (or for those of you in the northern hemisphere, are you fitting in before warm temperatures arrive)?

14 comments:

  1. I just hopped over from Healthy Vegan Fridays! I was drawn here by your delectable recipe for Italian Roast Vegetables and Beans. This is certainly my kind of meal. I love the amazing blend of flavors and textures. What a healthy, hearty and satisfying vegan meal. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Deborah :) I'm glad you liked the look of this!

      Delete
  2. I've done a ton and a half of roast vegetables but I've never done Italian. Silly me - these sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, isn't it? It never occurred to me either before now!

      Delete
  3. A simple recipe, nice! Sometimes those are the best. And when the weather gets cool I love to eat Korean food, it seems. I think it's all those spicy spicy spices paired up with ultra steaming food that makes me crave it. :D Plus, it reminds me of momma's cooking, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice and steaming food and memories of your mother's cooking sound perfect for cooler weather!

      Delete
  4. I agree that now that the weather is turning (we've had so much rain lately and it's pouring down heavily at the moment) that a hearty meal like this is just what everyone feels like. I love the variety of vegetables and yes, when you have a lot in your fridge like this, this is an excellent outcome for everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious - I adore flavoursome roast veges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I make them enough - I'm always amazed at just how good they are when I take the time to put them together (which isn't much time anyway!).

      Delete
  6. This is exactly the kind of meal we love to eat in the winter, but I have never thought to make something like this. It looks wonderful! Will be trying it out when we're a few degrees cooler here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably do need another month or so before weather gets cool in your part of the world :-) I'm glad you like the look of it for when your weather does make it appropriate!

      Delete
  7. Hard to go wrong with italian flavours!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).