Saturday, November 30, 2013

Smoky barbecue roast vegetables

Here in Australia, it isn't really the season for roast vegetables. However, that doesn't stop us having them and it is the season for large, make in advance side dishes. Roast vegetables fit that requirement perfectly.

This dish is a spin off from the tofu in barbecue sauce I first posted two years ago. I still love that dish, and it taught me that barbecue sauce isn't constrained to what you can buy in plastic bottles. Done well, barbecue sauce is a wonderful thing!



These vegetables marry barbecue hues with smokiness, and it turns out that is an excellent combination. The result is a little smoky, a little sweet, a little salty, and a lot of taste.

The specific vegetables you include in this mix can be varied to taste, and to what you have on hand. If you want to turn this from a vegetable only side to something more substantial, adding chickpeas or tofu would work delightfully too.

Hello, splattered baking dish.

Smoky barbecue roast vegetables
Adapted from this tofu in barbecue sauce recipe, which was itself adapted from a recipe in The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Can be prepared in advance, and also freezes well
A side dish for 4 - 6
Vegan


Ingredients
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
2 small eggplants, roughly chopped
1 onion, diced
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/3 cup water

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C (355'F).

Place the vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, onion) in a large baking dish. In a jug or bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (tomato sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, water) and whisk to combine.

Pour the sauce over the vegetables and roast for 30 minutes. Stir, then cover with aluminium foil and roast for a further 60 minutes.


Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday #71.

Do you have a favourite roast vegetable mix?

16 comments:

  1. Bookmarking for now, Kari!

    I missed two previous blogs (bookmarked) from you that I am very interested in reading.

    Have a great weekend, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have intended to make bbq sauce more times that I care to admit but still not done it - I don't like the bottled stuff but the ingredients always look so good when I see recipes for it - love your smoky flavours for your vegies - I like my roast veg quite plain that I get a bit lazy about adding lots of flavours but I must say that french lavender salt on roast vegies is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness there is one thing I have made that is still on your 'to make' list ;) Usually it is me leaving those sorts of comments on your blog! French lavender salt is in that still to try category for me - I imagine it would be lovely with roast vegetables.

      Delete
  3. I don't believe I have a fav vegggie mix but I do know that I have tried making BBQ sauce from a ketchup base and another from a strawberry jelly base that was actually really good but I couldn't remember everything I put in it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry jelly as a base for BBQ sauce?? I am so intrigued!

      Delete
  4. Where in Australia do you live? We visited in Jun, 2005 and spent time in Sidney, Hamilton Island, Melbourne, and Canberra (I have an aunt and uncle who live in Canberra). Had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip here! I'm in Perth, which is in Western Australia - the opposite side to Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely. I've been roasting veg like a fiend lately, but 'tis the season here for it. But then I eat it cold out of the fridge, so... yeah. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of many reasons I love you: bothering to roast vegetables, and then eating them cold :-)

      Delete
  6. I love roasted veges any time of year - these look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our weather in Sydney has been all over the shop with high temps then really cold days, lots of rain, wind etc. So roast vegetables at this time of year are fine by me - anything goes - just like the weather xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness some things (i.e., roast vegetables!) can be relied upon - you are right, the weather certainly can't be!

      Delete
  8. It's totally the season for roasted vegetables here and these sound lovely :) I love your simple homemade barbeque sauce too!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).