Thursday, November 14, 2013

Boston to New York city, via New Haven

Between work and camping and the inevitable nature of time (it passes!), our American holiday is receding into the past more rapidly than seems right. I shall try to get my final few American posts written before my memories recede too!

Yale University, New Haven

After our two nights in Boston, we drove the 4 (ish) hours to New York city, our final destination before returning home. On the way, though, we stopped at New Haven, Connecticut, for petrol and lunch. This wasn't a planned destination - New Haven just happened to be about the right distance along the drive.


Given my love of old and famous universities, it is with a certain amount of shame that I admit the following: I didn't know that New Haven was home to Yale University. Is this common knowledge to the rest of the world? Clearly, I know now and was delighted to discover it when we wandered the town.

Yale University, New Haven

Like Hanover with Dartmouth College, New Haven really is a university town. And, again like Hanover with Dartmough College, it had a fresh and flexible feel to it. Happily, it also had lots of veggie food.

I bought my lunch from Claire's Corner Copia, a fully vegetarian cafe that does breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was a popular spot when we visited. Mr Bite had set his heart on a panini option he'd seen around the corner, so he visited a different cafe (the name of which I don't remember) and we convened to eat in the central square.

I chose an Asian coleslaw salad for my lunch, which in hindsight is an odd choice. I don't like regular coleslaw at all, so even an Asian style one was risky. Plus, the menu had many things I ought to have preferred. Still, sometimes we are fickle, and clearly that day was such a day for me. Fortunately being fickle paid off, as the salad was great and a light soy and ginger dressing offset the vegetables perfectly.


The only downside of New Haven was that it took us whole minutes to figure out how to exit the car park. We thought you need to pay at a machine before exiting. This was quite wrong. After a long walk around the car park, we did figure this out, but clearly we were not up to Yale standards in our deductive abilities.


Once out of the car park, though, we were on our way to New York! That will come in splendid detail in a future post - but I will leave you with a stereotypical glimpse of the city.


Have you visited places without realising until you arrived that they housed famous sites / centres / landmarks?

16 comments:

  1. Glad you liked eating in our fair New Haven. No offence to Claire's Corner Copia, but our city has three of the best pizza spots in America... turn the car around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee...we did find great pizzas in America, don't worry ;)

      Delete
  2. This is like reading my travelling journal. I visited New Haven on my way from Boston to New York for the sole reason of going to Yale. I already knew it was there ;) I love American Universities, perhaps because I have watched too many teen films/tv shows set in them haha. I visited Cornell as well which was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Films/TVs or no, you are clearly the winner in terms of university knowledge ;) Those old campuses are beautiful aren't they?

      Delete
  3. All I knew about Yale is that it is on the East Coast of the USA so don't feel bad! I love the images of it - what beautiful architecture. I actually love coleslaw (as long as it's not drenched in a cheap dressing) and with an Asian twist I think it would be wonderful - and purple cabbage is so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful architecture is definitely right Charlie - universities have ownership of some amazing buildings! I'm so glad we stumbled across it even if I wasn't savvy enough to know it was coming :P

      Delete
  4. Clearly, you never watched Gilmore Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly! To the extent I didn't even know Gilmore Girls had anything to do with universities or Connecticut :P I evidently am not up to speed with the important things of life.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever considered where Yale was - though I had a vision of New Haven as being a place full of grand old American families - maybe there was a good reason for this. Would love to go there and pleased to hear there are good veg cafes there (which of course there should be when there are idealistic students about, if one can say such things about students these days)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the American ivy league students are! New Haven had a very idealistic vibe to it and Hanover was the same. It was refreshing to see :)

      Delete
  6. The only time I went to New Haven was when I was visiting yale! It is a pretty quaint college town. And I'm glad the coleslaw was a hit! I'm not usually a fan of the stuff either but with Asian flavors..I could probably be convinced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It managed to convince me so you'd be in with a good chance :-) "Pretty quaint college town" sums up New Haven perfectly too!

      Delete
  7. I would love to visit the Unis in the US - there is so much history there. I have never been to Boston and next trip is Route 66, so I will have to keep waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! Maybe they should make exiting the car park a Yale entrance test ;)
    Great story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...I think we should suggest that to the Yale administrators :-)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).