Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chocolate zucchini muffins

As my last post may have conveyed, we had a lot of fun camping on the weekend. As my first time sleeping in a 'normal' tent (versus a shared open-ended hootchie on the traumatic experience that was year 8 camp, and a smaller hootchie on the enjoyable but short-lived Duke of Edinburgh year 10 camp), it was also a novel experience for me. I still have some reservations; I loved sleeping amongst trees, but was less enamored with the bugs, and I loved walking for 5 hours on the Cape to Cape track, but would have liked a shower at the end of it! However, I can definitely imagine more camping in my future.


After leaving work early on Friday and returning home on Sunday to the usual weekend requirements (shopping/washing/ironing...), I am also thanking myself again for bulk baking muffins last weekend. A few posts ago, I shared the pumpkin, apple and cranberry variety. Today, we have chocolate zucchini.

It was actually a little embarrassing not to have a chocolate zucchini muffin recipe on this blog. Given my penchant for vegetable-containing desserts, and the many baked goods I've made with zucchini, chocolate zucchini was a glaring omission. I'm pleased to be able to fill it today.


I made these by adapting my apple and zucchini muffins. The apple and zucchini recipe yields 16 muffins, and as I only had 1 small zucchini available, I halved the ingredients to give just 8 muffins here. You could easily double things again to give a bigger batch.

When I ate a muffin straight from the oven, I was worried I might have under-cooked these. The middle was almost too moist and gooey. After cooling, however, they were perfect. I have added a few minutes onto my recommended baking time, but these may be an example of patience being a virtue. In other words, eat them once cool!

Chocolate zucchini muffins
Vegan
Makes 8 small muffins


Ingredients
1 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tbsp chia seeds soaked for ~15 minutes in 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
3 tbsp apple sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 small zucchini, grated

Method
Preheat your oven to 180'C and prepare 8 muffin pans.

Combine the flour, cocoa and sugar in a large bowl. Add the soaked chia seeds, milk, apple sauce, vegetable oil and vanilla, and stir until fully combined.

Add the grated zucchini to the muffin batter and stir to incorporate. 

Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20 - 22 minutes.

Allow to cool before eating. Store in the refrigerator.


Even if you haven't gone camping recently, I can recommend these as an ideal mid-week treat to pull out of your freezer. For that matter, if you haven't gone camping recently, you may be even more in need of such a treat! Conclusion: these are muffins for all of us, at any time.

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday #69.

Do you bake with zucchini? I seem to do so semi-regularly!

26 comments:

  1. I love baking with zucchini and given how common it seems in recipes am surprised I don't bake with it more often - I think I used to buy it a lot more than I used to and I think it is partly popular with those who grow it and have a bumper crop to deal with. Am sure it will have its day again in my kitchen - your muffins look great and sounds like great welcome-home food after camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through stages with it too - sometimes I just forget about it, and other times I can't be bothered with grating it (so lazy!). It's appeared in my vegetable box the last few weeks which has driven its return to baking for me ;)

      Delete
  2. oooh looks fabulous! I made chocolate and beetroot muffins last week and they were so good, i'll give zucchini a go next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great when you get to have chocolate and vegetables all in one go?!

      Delete
  3. These look incredible!!
    You can tell from the picture how soft they are! I haven't been baking much this year, but this recipe makes me want to change that asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to click through to read what a hootchie is because it sounds so hilariously inappropriate that I'd prefer my imagination's way of seeing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure your imagination will be better in this case :D The reality is sadly boring - and equates to pretty much sleeping in the open air (a hootchie is just a piece of canvas hung over a rope with no ends).

      Delete
  5. I love your plate! Gorgeous. And I can tell you now that my Arabella did not enjoy her Duke of Edinburgh camps. She was miserable! I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend. My husband LOVES roughing it but I'm more the resort type. I just feel that I do all the cleaning and shopping and cooking all day everyday but when I go away, I'd lie a break from it. Gorgeous looking muffins and chocolate and zucchini are a winning combination xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the amount of cleaning, shopping and cooking you do, I think you deserve a break from it! Alternating between fancy hotels and nice camp sites would probably keep me quite happy :-)

      Delete
  6. Desserts with vegetables in them are the best! It is perfectly balanced :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veggies in muffins! Love it. Especially when chocolate is also involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a winning situation all around, right?

      Delete
  8. These look so fudgy! I wish I had a decent sized freezer in my flat so I could bake batches of goodies and store them in the freezer to be pulled out one at a time.
    I'd completely forgotten about my Duke of Edinburgh experience- great fun until one night in the tent when i was very very sick....eek...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That would be awful :( Thank goodness I have no experiences like that. It's probably for the best that you had forgotten it!

      Our large freezer is a new thing and I do love it. Although, before, I just ate muffins really quickly and that wasn't so bad either ;)

      Delete
  9. Chocolate and zucchini is such a great combo- looks like a wonderful muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look lovely! I have made a chocolate and zucchini loaf, which was good, and most recently the apple zucchini loaf from Betty goes vegan. I find the secret to baking swee things with zucchini is to shred it really finely. When you grate it, it's not as pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you shred yours Kate? I've only ever grated and have found it ok, but now I'm wondering if there's a better alternative!

      Delete
    2. I just have a very fine grater that I use for garlic etc. when it's finely grated you don't get the big bits- handy when your trying to disguise it for a 3 yo :)

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, I've heard 3 year olds really don't like bits ;)

      Delete
  11. Yum!
    I have zucchinis growing in the garden so this would be a great use :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And home grown would no doubt make the muffins even better ;)

      Delete
  12. These look sensational - just the kind of thing I'd like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO you're saying I should be embarrassed to not have a chocolate zucchini muffin on my blog?? ;)

    This looks delicious, I've always loved the zucchini in chocolate baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee...only if that interpretation will make you happy to make your own version of these and blog your own recipe ;)

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).