Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In my kitchen - September 2013 (featuring much carob, failed cauliflower crackers, and balloons)

I am linking this post in to Celia's monthly In My Kitchen event at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

Do you remember when I discovered carob by Carmel Valley Chocolates, when traversing the Bickley Harvest Festival earlier this year? Well, it doesn't really matter if you don't remember. I did discover it, and now I have discovered the blocks at a supermarket in the city, as opposed to a weekend stall 40 minutes drive away.


As a consequence, there is carob in my kitchen. Vegan carob, with dried cherries (my favourite), spiced almonds, and pistachio and mandarin. There is also a block of chocolate by the same company with salted macadamia nuts. That was a mistake (I don't like macadamia nuts).

On a less positive note, my kitchen has featured some failed cauliflower crackers.


Despite my best oven dehydrating efforts, these never went crispy and instead stayed slightly soggy. I shall try again. Next time, I plan to leave them in a low oven overnight.

Something I won't be trying again is this quinoa milk with chia.


Oh, sure, it might sound like a good milk alternative. In reality, though, it tastes like dirty quinoa water with sugar, and is grey and gloopy. I kid you not.

Better, but carrageenan containing, was this new-to-Australia unsweetened vanilla almond milk.


I liked it, but I didn't love it. 

(I have added nutritional information for both milks to my non-dairy milk comparison spreadsheet.)

In my kitchen, there are balloons!


These welcomed be home from Melbourne. The day after I returned, Mr Bite let me in on his approach to hanging them up. If you're like me, you may assume that the balloons have been tied up with ribbon. No. As Mr B pointed out to me, he has no idea where to find ribbon. He has tied the balloons up with shoe laces. 

In my kitchen, there is vegan chocolate hedgehog made following Mel's recipe on Veganise This. The only modification I made was to add sprinkles.


I made this for Mr B in honour of our first wedding anniversary on Sunday. I'm pleased to say that the hedgehog was worthy of the occasion.

In my kitchen, there is a chilli chocolate spice mix courtesy of my Mum. I'm looking forward to using it, just as soon as I've decided what product (or products) may be worthy of the occasion.


Hot chocolate? Chocolate cake? Molded chocolates? Chocolate mole sauce? There are so many possibilities.

What's happening in your kitchen this month?

39 comments:

  1. Sorry about those crackers. I've never tried making crackers in spite of the fact I SAY I'm going to do it every month or so. Congratulations for having a go!

    Love the things in your kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try saying it every month or so and haven't tried before now either :-) I can't say I'm not motivated to try again, but don't want to admit defeat either - so I will!

      Delete
  2. Cauliflower crackers sound like a interesting idea - hope your next attempt is more successful! So glad you liked the hedgehog, it looks great with the added sprinkles. It has become a favourite around here, there are a couple of pieces sitting in our fridge which are likely to disappear very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plate in our fridge is definitely dwindling daily! They're such a great option to have up your sleeve as an easy but delicious vegan treat.

      Delete
  3. Why is it so hard to get anything to crisp up at home - well maybe that is just my oven but I was reflecting on it tonight after yet another batch of oven baked chips that aren't that crisp! Love the balloons and hedgehog for the anniversary - can't believe it is a year already. And I am always excited by gewurzhaus spices - how remiss of me not to point the store out to you in Lygon St - but perhaps you saw it or have them in perth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Gewurzhaus Spices and hadn't realised they were a Melbourne brand - my Mum must have picked this up when she and my Dad were in Melbourne recently! It's probably for the best you didn't point the store out to me as I might have bought the same pack myself and pre-empted her gift ;)

      Delete
  4. Yum - the chocolate hedgehog slice looks soooo good. Good pickup from Gewurzhaus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now going to be on the look out for Gewurzhaus when I'm next in Melbourne!

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm really glad you told us about the quinoa milk. I spotted this at Coles last week and thought about it but didn't buy it. I don't really need a milk alternative, I was just curious to be honest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I'm in favour of curiousity but on this occasion I think you did well to rein it in ;)

      Delete
  6. thanks for the heads up re the quinoa milk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything good in life should be commemorated with sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In other words: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! And on sprinkles - yes. Always yes.

      Delete
  8. Too bad about the cauli cracker fail! And that quinoa/chia milk sounds hideous. I'm envious of all your chocolate (and carob), and happy anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hm....cauliflower cracker sound like a great idea. Hope you'll find a way to work it out. I love chocolate...who can resist!? Happy anniversary to you. These treat are perfect for the occasion. :) how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to make them a yearly tradition :)

      Delete
  10. Quinoa milk with chia? Surely someone is just well and truly jumping on the "healthy" train and hoping to ride it somewhere where the streets are paved with gold... Not appealing at all, especially as I've just finished my own failed quinoa and cauliflower lunch. I made a huge batch as I 'knew' it was going to be good. Three days later I finally finished the sucker as no one else would touch it. (Tomato sauce helped :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your phrasing - and wish I hadn't helped them ride a little closer to those gold paved streets! Hopefully I have at least averted some others doing the same...

      Don't you hate those failed leftovers? And they always seem to expand and take on never-ending quantities! Glad you got through it :-)

      Delete
  11. I shouldn't laugh, but I did, I'm sorry love. Quinoa milk? Ugh. I can't get regular quinoa past my tribe, so quinoa milk which tastes like dishwater doesn't have a chance! :) I'm glad you now have a supply of carob nearby though! And Happy Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carob is definitely safer than quinoa milk, and fortunately goes a long way towards cancelling out quinoa milk taste :-) And thank you!

      Delete
  12. Lol at shoelace ribbons. That's brilliant - I hope you gave him extra points for trying! I love quinoa, but how on earth can they make 'milk' from it? They're not exactly oily or creamy little buggars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave him quaduple points for the shoe laces - very impressive :)

      I think the answer to the milk question is, they can't!

      Delete
  13. We have blue diamond almond milk here, but I prefer the Silk version. Much creamier!

    I love that you covered your hedgehog in sprinkles! So festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I will try Silk and I am very much looking forward to it!

      Delete
  14. I have seen that quinoa milk and I won't be buying it. I buy that almond milk for the uni students and they love it. I love how the balloons were tied with shoelaces - I'll remember that for when I run out of ribbon! Happy Anniversary - how quickly that first year has flown xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie :-) And yes, stick with the almond milk for your uni students, they'll be much better off that way!

      Delete
  15. Gah - don't you hate it when the recipes we try fail! I'm still working on my tofu rings ;-)
    The hedgehog slice looks totally delicious - and happy anniversary :D
    I have seen the unsweetened vanilla almond milk but haven't tried it yet. I'm very tempted to though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend the hedgehog over the almond milk but both are worthy of trying ;)

      Delete
  16. Your beautiful Mr Bite what a gem and a bit of a boy scout too! Recipes are made top be worked on better luck next time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gem of a boy scout :-) And yes - cooking is nothing if not a process of adventure!

      Delete
  17. G'day and love your vegan chocolate hedgehog, true!
    Cannot MORE highly recommend the Chili Choc spice and thanks for inviting me into your kitchen this month too!
    Viewed as part of IMK
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I'm glad to have the chilli chocolate spice recommendation too - can't wait to use it :-)

      Delete
  18. I'd like to try the carob - They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kari, the "welcome home" balloons (suspended ala shoe strings) tickled me greatly. Definitely a from-the-heart homecoming! I also appreciated your honest assessment of the dairy-free milks. (Thank you.) Congratulations and best wishes to you and Mr. Bite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a carton of that Almond Milk in my cupboard. I thought I might give it a go next time I baked. I'm intrigued. Laughed about the grey, gloopy Quinoa milk...won't bother! Great tour!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).